Old 10-18-2019, 11:05 PM

Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

I am curious where there particular problems with Charlotte PRO AM Worlds that led to fragmenting the experience?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,289 Times in 2,272 Posts

They needed piles of volunteers, I am guessing was a big factor. But Charlotte has one of if not the best clubs in the country and if they had some problems, then it would probably be near impossible for other cities...

I guess Emporia could probably do it. But they have enough asked of them already most years.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 10-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,425 Times in 1,502 Posts

I don't think so. If I read it correctly, it was also done in 2004 (Des Moines) and 2008 (Kalamazoo). Perhaps other times as well.

I just think that over time, weighing the pros and cons, the advantages of a single massive Worlds have been outweighed by the advantages of having separate ones.

Just as Pro Worlds has been further subdivided, Junior Worlds split off from Am Worlds, and it seems to me I've heard that the rest of Am Worlds may be broken up.

It's not that the massive Worlds is necessarily a bad idea; just that after trying it, the other options are deemed better.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2019, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,289 Times in 2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I don't think so. If I read it correctly, it was also done in 2004 (Des Moines) and 2008 (Kalamazoo). Perhaps other times as well.

I just think that over time, weighing the pros and cons, the advantages of a single massive Worlds have been outweighed by the advantages of having separate ones.

Just as Pro Worlds has been further subdivided, Junior Worlds split off from Am Worlds, and it seems to me I've heard that the rest of Am Worlds may be broken up.

It's not that the massive Worlds is necessarily a bad idea; just that after trying it, the other options are deemed better.
Yea, they are going to move the AM age protected divisions to join up with Pro ages from what I've heard?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,425 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Yea, they are going to move the AM age protected divisions to join up with Pro ages from what I've heard?
I haven't been paying close attention---I doubt I'll play any more Worlds, whatever is decided.

Wouldn't that mirror the Selinske?

Old 10-19-2019, 12:26 AM

Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:

Other than organizing and the volunteer shortage, both of which can be remedied imo if it is not a yearly but a 2x a decade event.....what are the advantages of dividing and pulling apart the player base into these ever smaller and smaller groups

a future where we have 30 players show up at some random locale to determine the masters am woman champion just seems dumb to me.....maybe I am just weird
Old 10-19-2019, 12:30 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,691 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitfun View Post
and the crabby pessimistic disgruntled man in the back has spoken......steps slowly off of his lawn

I don't want to do it, I want the idea to be discussed
You misread me. I was trying to be supportive. And yes, talking about it here is a good first step.

I just meant you don't need anything else to happen before you do whatever you are willing to do to make it happen. That could mean finding someone who wants to be in charge, or narrowing down the places where it could happen.

You can have an informal talk with your local V&C bureau. They'll give you a half hour to listen to a 1,000 visitor idea. There's a lot of stuff on the PDGA site to show them. The tourism people can handle a lot of the things that all events need.

If you decide it is going to happen and work toward that, it has a chance of happening. Or, maybe something smaller will happen. Even if nothing happens, you'll learn a lot, meet new friends and have an interesting experience.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 142
Niced 227 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
The 2000 worlds in Ann Arbor was also both pro and am. I got to play from the same tees as Climo for six rounds as an Am and only lost to him by 87 strokes.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-19-2019, 02:58 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Anyone who thinks this would be a good idea obviously hasn't ran a tournament, or at least not one with multiple courses in play. The PDGA got away from this model for a reason.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:40 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
Niced 599 Times in 317 Posts

We should have a points championship like NASCAR.