Old 05-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default First tournament next weekend

My first PDGA approved tourney is next weekend and I am pumped!
It is at my hometown, although I am away for school and have been for 4 years, I am excited. I am playing Rec just because it is my first tournament and I have only been playing a year, but if I place well, my next I will play Int.

What does everyone do for preparation?

I plan on going to play the courses the Friday before and just testing some different shots I have been working on. The 2 courses are completely different. One is very wooded the other is a LONG wide open BOMB course, besides a few holes. I am excited for the wooded but no the long since my MAX D is only like 360. Still very pumped though.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 01:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,310 Times in 2,283 Posts

Rule number one don't be late for the second round. You would be amazed how many people I've seen not make it back from lunch in time. I always pack a lunch for this reason. Other than that have fun, and play your game don't let what the others do, affect you.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 35
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just have fun and play your game. If you get caught up in all this preparation stuff, you might put too much pressure on yourself to perform. Just enjoy the experience, tournaments are a ton of fun and I've ruined that fun a few times by putting too much pressure on myself.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Niced 279 Times in 149 Posts

If you get a disc for your player pack. Put it in the car and don't throw it during the round.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Make sure part of your preparations is reading the rule book. Even if you think you are all set in that area, it never hurts to give the book a quick skim. You never know when a little bit of familiarity with the rules can help you on the course, even in the Rec division.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,706 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
Just have fun and play your game. If you get caught up in all this preparation stuff, you might put too much pressure on yourself to perform. Just enjoy the experience, tournaments are a ton of fun and I've ruined that fun a few times by putting too much pressure on myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Make sure part of your preparations is reading the rule book. Even if you think you are all set in that area, it never hurts to give the book a quick skim. You never know when a little bit of familiarity with the rules can help you on the course, even in the Rec division.
Good advice. I usually bring a lunch, snacks and fluids. A pair of fresh socks in between rounds is nice. Expect a far slower pace of play than casual, a stool is a plus. Stay within your game and make smart shots. Be friendly and have fun. There are a lot of very cool golfers. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lots has already been said.

Play the course ahead of time to get familiar with it. Eat a good dinner the night before, in my case I make sure I get some carbs for stored energy w/ fruits and veggies as well. I recommend bringing snacks for downtime in between rounds and to keep your energy level up.

Most importantly, have fun, don't stress when you make a bad shot because it inevitably happens to everyone at some point, just focus on your next shot.

*PRACTICE PUTTING BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT* - I personally like to practice for 10 minutes, take a 5 minute break, and repeat again until I feel comfortable. It's good to get practice but don't wear yourself out.

As I said earlier, have fun, it's your first tournament and if disc golf isn't fun it seems to defeat the purpose of it. Oh, and if you enter rec and win rec division by 22 strokes, move up next time
Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 113
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Personally I consider Thursday (assuming the tourney is Saturday) the important day. That's the day for serious practice and hydration. Nerves can get to you on Friday and mess with sleep etc. I just try to take it easy yhe day before and make sure I have all my stuff together.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 19 Times in 14 Posts

I usually party like a rock star the night before.

Probably explains my poor performance in tourneys.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 87
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

During play, don't worry about how the other competitors are doing. Focus on playing your game. Take your time, no need to rush during tournaments.