Old 08-17-2014, 09:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 162 Times in 81 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013
Default Elk Mtn: Somebody is a liar

look at the last two reviews of Elk Mountain in Plumtree, NC. both seemingly played the course on the same day and one guy says it was maintained well with clear fairways and good markings. gives a 4.5

then another comes in and gives it a 0 and says its overgrown and horrible. somebody is lying...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/review...mode=rev#57767
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 115
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I know which one I believe.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 200
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I played it yesterday too. I actually just PM'd reposado, agreeing with his post. Tons of overgrowth and stinging nettles. The signs mostly just pissed you off. They reminded me of this old Chevy Chase movie Funny Farm where a local gives directions that make no sense to the guy who actually needs the directions. The baskets are trash. I had been thinking I'd just update the current conditions instead of giving it a 2.5. I've played it twice before over the past few years. It's changed in part, and it's just completely overgrown. I may try again this winter.

On the upside there's a ropes course that ran through there. I climbed up and took a break and that was pretty awesome. Above the gnats. And the cafe (which I hear is no longer associated) has a full beer bar with about 10 brews. The IPA was really very good.

Also played catawba meadows and sawmills yesterday. I think the guys who have posted here so far are charlotte-area guys. I love charlotte courses but I'd put sawmills up against any one of them. Great golf. The only downside - all par 3s and you never get near that beautiful lake (Chester SC is the same way, I guess the course wasn't allowed to encroach)
Old 08-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I saw that. I assume that he posted his review yesterday but played it a while ago and didn't bother adjusting the played date.

although really, i can't imagine how long ago it must have been for the fairways to have been clear. i could see playable a month ago, but not clear.

Last edited by reposado; 08-17-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 6 Times in 1 Post

The great folks that own and run Blind Squirrel Brewing Co and Vance Toe River Lodge have sold the campground and property where Elk Mtn DGC are located. I was up there last week and changed the course conditions for the Plumtree DGC to closed after spending some time with the owners. It is closed this season as they are in the middle of a massive expansion of their brewery in a 100+ year old mill building next door to the lodge. They hope to reopen it for next season.

I did not go up to Elk Mtn to check it out this time, but the description (if not the conditions based on above posts) definitely needs to be changed. It is no longer affiliated with the lodge thus checking in and paying down there is not how you go about playing the course now since the ownership change.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 200
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to know. They certainly didn't tell me it was closed for the season. They said "ya got five bucks? Okay it's open."
Actually there was an attendant who seemed only there to check in disc golfers. Which was shocking because it's middle of nowhere and no one else was there. Crazy that I get home and 2 other guys say they've played same day.

Does anyone know if the shorter 18 hole course is still open? If it's still run by Will? I would return to a course he was running, I'd need some convincing to come back to a course this new group is running.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruhiker99 View Post
snip..

I did not go up to Elk Mtn to check it out this time, but the description (if not the conditions based on above posts) definitely needs to be changed. It is no longer affiliated with the lodge thus checking in and paying down there is not how you go about playing the course now since the ownership change.
yes it should. though they do still give directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
Good to know. They certainly didn't tell me it was closed for the season. They said "ya got five bucks? Okay it's open."
Actually there was an attendant who seemed only there to check in disc golfers. Which was shocking because it's middle of nowhere and no one else was there. Crazy that I get home and 2 other guys say they've played same day.

Does anyone know if the shorter 18 hole course is still open? If it's still run by Will? I would return to a course he was running, I'd need some convincing to come back to a course this new group is running.
so strange. im guessing three is more than they get most weeks at this point. three posters is insanely unlikely
Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 241
Niced 59 Times in 33 Posts

Ya gotta believe the Trusted Reviewer...
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 325
Niced 225 Times in 107 Posts

Has anyone tried to contact tnscboy to hear his side of the story: when he played the course, if he's not confusing it with another course, etc.? You also look at LeeLK's review from when he played in May, and it makes you wonder whether a course could go downhill that quickly?

The course is such a hike from any other course in that area that you would want accurate information conveyed on this site to ensure that nobody is driving far out of his/her way to attempt a round here.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:52 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 62
Niced 6 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post

Maybe my post was confusing. The shorter 18 hole course that is at the site of the lodge/brewery is closed for the season. That is the course that I updated the conditions for to reflect as being closed, called Plumtree on this site I believe.

As stated above, the folks at the Vance Toe Lodge will definitely still direct you to the Elk Mtn course but no longer have affiliation. I did not go up there this time, just settled in for a few pints and some great conversation at the lodge, hoping the shorter course gets reopened for next season.