Old 06-15-2016, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,284 Times in 2,269 Posts

I'm not totally sure but I think it is at least in part self funded. They have several nice 18hole ball golf courses that make them a large chunk of their budget. But they have been dragging their heels for several years about upgraded the disc golf courses. They have 4 mostly original steady ed courses( 2 -18hole, 2-9hole). I'm sure that all the money they have been spending clearing Ash trees probably hasn't helped...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2016, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,407 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
So are we hung up on the $30? Forget the exact dollar value, focus more on the model.
In part. If the model is lots of better private courses, $5 per round or per day, I'm all for it.

This is likely to be in addition to free, sometimes crowded public courses.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

As long I live in an area with relatively low population in relation to courses available, have a job that involves weekend work so that I can enjoy off peak playing times, and live in a climate with plenty of unideal weather days that run the fair weather crowd off, I'm not the slightest bit worried about this.

But I will say had I gotten acquainted with disc golf where there were different circumstances in those regards, I perhaps wouldn't have stuck with it as long as I have.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 554 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I'm sure that all the money they have been spending clearing Ash trees probably hasn't helped...
I wonder if this will be a hidden boon for disc golf over the next decade. Park budgets have had to be increased to cover ash removal, and once the ash are all gone hopefully that budget will stay with the department and be up for grabs.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbably View Post
I'll stop weedwhacking and removing thorns at my favorite course and the crowds will disappear!
^ This is pretty much true.

Or more Gold level courses, casual players don't seem to like courses without birdie chances on every hole.

A local course recently underwent a small redesign, with the addition of a long, challenging hole, locals are up in arms, and the course isn't as crowded as it usually is. Also the rough is in full effect...
Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I think it won't be much of a problem, as more courses means more room for difficulty diversification.

Maybe they can be ranked like ski hills are ranked. The bunny hills and green circles will always be crowded, while the more advanced courses hopefully would be self-selective.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 106
Niced 224 Times in 105 Posts

DG is able to fit on so much more types of land that golf, it takes up 1/4 to 1/3 of the space of golf, and a fraction of the cost to maintain while serving essentially the same amount of people per hole. At the same time our municipalities are starting to realize that conserving and adding greenspace makes a town a better place to live with higher property values. I don't see land availability being a huge issue in most areas.

That said - where I moved a few years ago (Windsor, Ontario) has ZERO courses. The closest in Canada is over two hours away. No one in this town had ever heard of this sport until recently when I joined up with a few locals to promote it and start to develop relationships with the local municipalities. Now, we hope to have our first course in the ground by the end of this year, with more to follow. Time will tell but I moved from a heavy use area (SE Michigan) to a barren wasteland. It's actually been incredibly interesting to see the new players and scene develop here. Once we get the course it will explode.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

So when I discovered this little cult sport in the 90's we had only 3 courses in the tri-county area of Dade, Broward & Palm Beach. We rarely saw more than the 6-10 league players on Sundays & the course was always deserted.

We now have 19 courses in the same area.

I have witnessed about an equal amount of growth of players and enough new courses in the area to handle the influx. However, our 2 original Ft Lauderdale courses are very busy on weekends to the point they have become my least favorite to play and I only play there for league.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1220
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1927
Old 06-15-2016, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,524 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
I'm not totally sure but I think it is at least in part self funded. They have several nice 18hole ball golf courses that make them a large chunk of their budget. But they have been dragging their heels for several years about upgraded the disc golf courses. They have 4 mostly original steady ed courses( 2 -18hole, 2-9hole). I'm sure that all the money they have been spending clearing Ash trees probably hasn't helped...
Wasn't there the possibility that Mt Airy was going to close? Something about a streetcar or something?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

After slogging through the most arduous BRP round on a Sunday mulligan league night I can unequivocally say that 'growing the sport' is exactly what I don't want to happen.

'Pay to play' keep the riff-raff out???

Not so much in the Twin Cities these days.

Not to mention all the guys treating their mulligan round like McBeth in a final-round USDGC.

Unreal.