#21  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,908
Niced 1,569 Times in 706 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I wouldn't disc down to a putter...Understable fairway is as far as I suggest to my friends trying to get into it. You'll get it out farther than putters or mids, which keeps you motivated, but they're still slow enough to work on form issues. Leopard, Xpress, F7, Patriot...
Did you even bother to read the OP's posts?
He's throwing less than 100ft! He doesn't need higher speed disc recommendations, he needs help with his form first.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:14 PM
JBCHyzer's Avatar
JBCHyzer JBCHyzer is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 79
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
I wouldn't disc down to a putter...Understable fairway is as far as I suggest to my friends trying to get into it. You'll get it out farther than putters or mids, which keeps you motivated, but they're still slow enough to work on form issues. Leopard, Xpress, F7, Patriot...
The good thing is that many of my understable discs are fairways and mids. I only have two drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Keller's Avatar
Keller Keller is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Above ground
Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,908
Niced 1,569 Times in 706 Posts
Default

OP, A few relitivly recent videos that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gzNIRxRbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJ_uL007m8

And follow this page you will get all the instructional videos you could probably ever need.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-10-2017, 02:23 PM
JBCHyzer's Avatar
JBCHyzer JBCHyzer is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 79
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
OP, A few relitivly recent videos that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0gzNIRxRbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByJ_uL007m8

And follow this page you will get all the instructional videos you could probably ever need.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=119328
Thanks, Keller.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Lynn LeFey's Avatar
Lynn LeFey Lynn LeFey is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 227
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts
Default

JBCHyzer, you're throwing from a chair, right?

Can you throw forehand? I've found when I'm most isolated in movement (bad lie, stuck in a bush, whatever), I can get the best distance from forehand flicks with very little body movement outside my shoulder, elbow, and wrist of my throwing arm. I think I can get maybe 150' from such a throw, in a perfect shot.

For such a shot, the Shark, Roc, or Truth should work well.

Backhand, I don't think i could generate a shot over 100' sitting, and probably more like 75'. I just don't have the 'snap' backhand that I do forehand, although my overall distance is farther.

This might help, as he shows the forehand form in isolation, using only the arm at first.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-10-2017, 05:41 PM
F. Howl's Avatar
F. Howl F. Howl is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,861
Niced 1,031 Times in 574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Did you even bother to read the OP's posts?
He's throwing less than 100ft! He doesn't need higher speed disc recommendations, he needs help with his form first.
Yes I did...and I still think fan gripping a deep rimmed putter (which seems to be the common choice of grip for putters) or learning a power grip on them isn't the place to start. The slow understable fairways I mentioned, with HSS's around -3, will still uncover form issues and be easier to grip for the average player, and that grip will translate better down the road, when discing up or down.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I've taught a friend or two and they come along nicely. I'll step aside though. OP is in good hands. Plenty of good advice posted here already.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 PM
JBCHyzer's Avatar
JBCHyzer JBCHyzer is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 79
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn LeFey View Post
JBCHyzer, you're throwing from a chair, right?

Can you throw forehand? I've found when I'm most isolated in movement (bad lie, stuck in a bush, whatever), I can get the best distance from forehand flicks with very little body movement outside my shoulder, elbow, and wrist of my throwing arm. I think I can get maybe 150' from such a throw, in a perfect shot.

For such a shot, the Shark, Roc, or Truth should work well.

Backhand, I don't think i could generate a shot over 100' sitting, and probably more like 75'. I just don't have the 'snap' backhand that I do forehand, although my overall distance is farther.

This might help, as he shows the forehand form in isolation, using only the arm at first.
Yes. I think forehand (RHFH) as opposed to RHBH, will yield greater distances, but as I have said previously, I am completely aware that the distance will come in time.

Fortunately, I am starting to throw forehand more, but also backhand with results as good as my forehand throws, given my limited mobility. As you have suggested, I have a Shark, Roc, and Truth in my bag already.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Lynn LeFey's Avatar
Lynn LeFey Lynn LeFey is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 227
Niced 76 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Yeah, I picked those discs from the ones you listed earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure which of those three might work best. The Shark, depending on weight, might not handle forehands well. I'm fairly certain the Roc will, and the Truth MIGHT. I've heard people say their Truths are less stable than a Shark, whereas the one I have is MORE stable than my Roc3, and is my go-to forehand disc for anything but drives. If I didn't have issues of occasionally rolling my wrist on release, I could probably throw it forehand further with confidence. I also love the Roc. For some reason, I just find DX Rocs to be the disc I have the best 'feel' for. Seems like they magically drop at the pin for me for forehand approaches.

I would definitely set aside everything faster than your Witness and Jackal, at least for now. When our form was still pretty lousy, my husband got the best distance out of flex shots with a Witness, so even early on, they may get you good distance.

Anyway, that's my (probably pretty limited in usefulness) advice.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM
JBCHyzer's Avatar
JBCHyzer JBCHyzer is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Years Playing: 2.5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 79
Niced 14 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn LeFey View Post
Yeah, I picked those discs from the ones you listed earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure which of those three might work best. The Shark, depending on weight, might not handle forehands well. I'm fairly certain the Roc will, and the Truth MIGHT. I've heard people say their Truths are less stable than a Shark, whereas the one I have is MORE stable than my Roc3, and is my go-to forehand disc for anything but drives. If I didn't have issues of occasionally rolling my wrist on release, I could probably throw it forehand further with confidence. I also love the Roc. For some reason, I just find DX Rocs to be the disc I have the best 'feel' for. Seems like they magically drop at the pin for me for forehand approaches.

I would definitely set aside everything faster than your Witness and Jackal, at least for now. When our form was still pretty lousy, my husband got the best distance out of flex shots with a Witness, so even early on, they may get you good distance.

Anyway, that's my (probably pretty limited in usefulness) advice.
No, that's actually exactly the information that I was looking for. There's been some fantastic feedback here in this thread and I truly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 10-11-2017, 02:11 AM
Bardu's Avatar
Bardu Bardu is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,239
Niced 135 Times in 100 Posts
Default

The weights and plastics of some of those discs might help us a bit. Are all your discs new? I'd concentrate on just a couple discs. I think the four you listed in your OP would be just fine. Start by mastering the Ion. Playing with just a handful of discs would help not only giving you consistency with the discs you are trying to learn with but you'd also get more repetitions with them and beat them in faster at the same time. You could add a couple more once you see what kind of shots would compliment your current choices well. Sticking with the same discs over time rather than constantly switching will also help. Playing with others especially better players will help you learn some form and different kind of shots initially. I'd throw both BH and FH if you can. Keep it up!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MN Discing's Trilogy bag MN_Discing Bag Suggestions & Feedback 2 08-11-2015 11:11 PM
discing down my bag karpal0 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 24 05-29-2013 04:16 AM
Discing down done for now, tentative bag Triflusal Bag Suggestions & Feedback 41 12-22-2011 11:22 PM
AirMcNair Discing Down bag AirMcNair Bag Suggestions & Feedback 8 12-08-2010 10:44 AM
Bag suggestions following discing down? Apoth Bag Suggestions & Feedback 5 09-11-2010 01:53 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.