Old 10-09-2017, 10:16 PM

Courses Played: 5
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default Returning to the game noob bag

First post! Long time lurker and member of DGR...

Anyways, Came back about 5 weeks ago and I'm looking for some advice on faster discs. I was thinking maybe a valkyrie..its been awhile since ive thrown something faster than a TL.

Years playing/experience:*8 years on and off(mostly off so I'm bad)
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous:*right-handed
Throwing Style:*RHBH, some FH upshots(tend to stay away from FH drives)
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:*Putter: 200/225'; Mid: 225/250'; Fairway: 250/300'

Sex:*M
Injuries/handicaps?:*old injury to right knee
Other sport proficiencies?:*Ultimate, baseball
Additional Information:*Na
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:*easy to throw and covers most shots
Specific areas of desired feedback:*Would like advice on a good distance driver. Whatever else..
Immediate and long-term goals:*I'd like to work on distance in the short term, and find a good go-to driver for my arm speed. In the long term I'd like to git gud.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Champ Teebird, (new) - very stable, headwinds
168 Star TL, (new) - Straight
175 G* Leopard, (used) - understable
171 G* Leopard, (used) - more understable

Mids:
175 ESP Buzzz, (used) - mid range

Putters:
175 ESP Zone (worn) - upshots(BH&FH)
175 SS Wizard, (new) - main putter

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:57 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I have a star Valkyrie I’ve been using for that spot recently. I love this disc, lots of different lines!
And it’s a little longer than my Teebirds.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 220 Times in 145 Posts

I like your bag a lot ... so simple! (... and conceptionally similar to mine, btw.)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 26
Niced 51 Times in 42 Posts

simple, quality bag lineup for sure, I maybe would add a slightly OS mid and an understable mid, Fuse and Verdict Would be my 1st choices, but there are tons of good ones out there--- and maybe a stack of wizards for putting practice
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,569 Times in 706 Posts

Nice simple setup!

As for a distance driver, at your current distance, I don't think you will gain much if anything over what you already have. Teebirds, Leopards and the TL are all capable of well over 300ft.

But if you want to dabble in the 9 speed range, you could try a Sidewinder, Roadrunner or Heat in the mid 160gr range.

But if you like the Teebird and TL, I would highly suggest getting a DX Teebird in the upper 160s! They have amazing glide, accurate, fun to throw and will fly just as far as many drivers. I always have one in the bag.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 AM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Dx teebird is something I hadn't considered. Ill pick one up next time I'm at the shop. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 113
Niced 24 Times in 15 Posts

All good suggestions above but ill throw my 2cents in as well.

I was at about the same distance ranges a few months ago when I picked up a Pro Thunderbird 171g. Love it. Speed 9 which is about as fast as I can throw right now. Great laser straight flight with a little fade at the end, good glide, big hyzers, little flex shots, backhand, forehand (simple and effortless), great long annys when beat in a bit. Pro plastic is my favorite, g* is a little more flippy but good and consistent (per usual), champ is a little more OS but still great for long straight shots and hyzers (mine is pretty new yet). Star... Star is different, all the ones I have thrown are meat hooks compared to the other plastics, like a firebird. Disc changed my game and added 50 feet and more control. Maybe I got better and its all a coincidence but it surely didn't hurt.

Other suggestion would be to look at your mids like stated above. If you can do everything you want with the Buzzz then keep it simple! Wish I could. But, I could see the need for something on either side of it, maybe try the Buzzz OS and a Buzzz SS if you really like that feel otherwise I am enjoying the MD4 cause its angry overstable and a beat up Buzzz for the understable stuff.

Take it for what its worth, probably not much.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

As others have said, that's a solid-looking bag. I'd just add a more OS driver of the Banshee/Predator/Firebird/Felon variety. The Banshee would be a good choice if you want to limit the number of molds you carry. I used to bag one, and it was good both for drives and powered down for OS midrange-type shots.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yeah I am trying to keep my molds down. I was thinking about getting a buzzz SS. I have a zone that I use like a mid and I'm hesitant to add a buzzz OS as I dont think it would see too much use. Maybe zone to a teebird is a big gap in speed but it doesn't feel bad.

I used to use a firebird a lot for flicks...not sure I have the arm for it BH though. I'm not sure if I would gain anything over a teebird with it.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,216 Times in 1,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothaz View Post
Yeah I am trying to keep my molds down. I was thinking about getting a buzzz SS. I have a zone that I use like a mid and I'm hesitant to add a buzzz OS as I dont think it would see too much use. Maybe zone to a teebird is a big gap in speed but it doesn't feel bad.

I used to use a firebird a lot for flicks...not sure I have the arm for it BH though. I'm not sure if I would gain anything over a teebird with it.

Honestly, with your distances, your champ teebird is all the beef you need.