Old 08-21-2019, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 282 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both of Ricky's World Championships only four rounds? I think that is kind of an asterisk in hindsight.

I have to say that historically I do think more than four rounds is what separates Worlds from other big tournaments. The downside is that also historically there tends to be a runaway winner and it gets boring. Not always though. Remember 2014 in Portland.

So IMO it needs to be at least five rounds but six would be better. Ideally with one open, OB heavy course and one tight woods based course. I don't really like seeing OB on the latter style as too many basically good shots can be redirected. Let them scramble without penalty on that type of course I say.
2016 Emporia: 5 rounds, plus a final nine, so 5 1/2. That was "supposed" to be the transition year to the 4-round event that pros thought they wanted.
2017 IDGC: 4 rounds (Only year that it was 4 rounds. It went to 5 after that.)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2019, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,725 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachd View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both of Ricky's World Championships only four rounds? I think that is kind of an asterisk in hindsight.
Rick's first title was in Emporia and that event was 5.5 rounds (4 + semis + final 9). His second, in Augusta, was the only four round Worlds that has ever been held.

I think five rounds is just right for this event. It's more golf than any other event on tour and it fits into the exact same scheduling footprint as the old Worlds (Tues-Sat). They're playing courses that are skill-appropriate so that the challenge is in the golf and not how much golf there is. And final nines are unnecessary. They only ever served the purpose of having a showcase for the top players to compete in front of a gallery...it had nothing to do with enhancing the competitive side of things at all. It was all about ending play for everyone else at the event and turning them into spectators for the top four.

But with a tee time final round, the showcase aspect of the lead card is built-in. Players who missed the cut can watch. Players who finish earlier in the day can watch. And all the non-playing spectators can come and watch. Nothing is gained by tacking on another 9 holes.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 171
Niced 726 Times in 333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I'm not hating.... but I find myself still trying to understand what makes this event, (which anyone can sign up and play in) so prestigious that the winner is proclaimed the "PDGA World Champion"? I understand this is a major, if they required a certain placement in the other majors as a means to quality for this event, then at least to me it would make sense, but take out the title of the tournament, and seems like there really isn't anything about this event that distances itself from other events.
Agreed, this is what makes me put the USGDC as the marquee event in disc golf right now.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 359 Times in 141 Posts

After the fifth round, the winner should spin a wheel that’s equally split between yes and no. The question at hand would be, “Was that the final round?” If no hits, they play the next day and spin the wheel again.

Really would had an element I think.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 359 Times in 141 Posts

How about Worlds as a birdie eliminator? Everyone plays 1st hole. Only birdies advance. Continue until only one player left.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Also, what are peoples thoughts of a lot of big tournaments having the last round on Saturday and not Sunday? Im in the train of thought in that it gives people less opportunity to play in these events because those of us with full time jobs cant take the time off of work to play. I would think we are seeing less viewership because of it both in person and online and I would think that it limits the field of play as well. Now I dont think these tournaments have any issue in filling up but it could stop them from future growth. I also know that some tournaments have gone away from Sunday rounds because of religious views which Im not a fan of but I understand.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,619 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Also, what are peoples thoughts of a lot of big tournaments having the last round on Saturday and not Sunday? Im in the train of thought in that it gives people less opportunity to play in these events because those of us with full time jobs cant take the time off of work to play. I would think we are seeing less viewership because of it both in person and online and I would think that it limits the field of play as well. Now I dont think these tournaments have any issue in filling up but it could stop them from future growth. I also know that some tournaments have gone away from Sunday rounds because of religious views which Im not a fan of but I understand.
Sunday has become a traditional "travel day" for big events like Worlds so people could hang out in the tournament afterglow on Saturday night when Final 9s and awards finished around 6pm.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Sunday has become a traditional "travel day" for big events like Worlds so people could hang out in the tournament afterglow on Saturday night when Final 9s and awards finished around 6pm.
I get that. Do you think this is a good or bad thing for the growth of the sport?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 139
Niced 989 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
I get that. Do you think this is a good or bad thing for the growth of the sport?
It's increased the number of non full time touring players at larger events, so I think it's great.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,725 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
If the ultimate goal is a sustainable tour for full time professional players, then the concerns about people with full time jobs being able to play really shouldn't factor into decision making. Sure, right now, those weekend-warrior types are necessary to flesh out the field at various events, but eventually, the idea is to have tour events be for tour players with little to no room for the local weekend-warrior types.

As far as viewers and spectators go, I can see the argument regarding in-person spectating. Harder to get away to watch the early rounds if they're on weekdays. But the online live viewership, to my understanding, is typically stronger for weekday rounds where folks are watching in the office. And the weekend numbers drop off because more people are out playing on the weekends. Maybe that's changed as technology has made it easier to watch on TV instead of on computers, but I can't help but think we're always going to be battling the "I'd rather be playing" issue on the weekends. Isolating it to just Saturdays, especially if the off-day on Sunday is viewed positively by the players, makes all the sense in the world to me.

Niced: (1)