Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 698 Times in 377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
New DM Bag?
Yeah, its coming. Compared to my Grip, a ton of very user-friendly features and as far as I could tell, only one feature less/worse.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Forgot the most important question how did that kid get Paul’s disc down from that tree R3 hole 12 ?

Looked to be stuck very high up
Nah, man. Lots of well spaces climbable limbs on there. Perhaps a little challenge to get up the trunk first. No biggie.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,693 Times in 832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I'm curious, are you saying that Europeans like birdies more than Americans do? I'd wanna know what you based that conclusion on?

It seems to me that folks like birdies in general, and probably more than they should. It also seems that counter to that conclusion would be EO, where at times birdies seemed darned hard to get. Of course EO may be a one off and I don't actually know how the course rated.
I meant that TDs setting up courses in Europe seem to like to set them so that expert players can (mostly) only gain or not-lose-ground against the field, while on American courses an expert has more of an equal chance of gaining or losing a throw against the field.

That is merely based on subjective observation of hole-by-hole scores from hundreds of events. I could be completely wrong. Maybe someday I'll test the hypothesis.

As for EO, take a look at #3900 in Par Talk. Most of the bars are longer on the bottom, meaning experts get a lot of scores under the score an expert would expect and not a lot of scores over that.

As for how players feel about birdies, I don't think "like" is nearly strong enough. Something that means "I NEED MY FIX!" would still not be strong enough.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alobar View Post
By seasoned, do you mean jaded?

I’d rather watch this course than the vast majority of the DGPT and NT courses. Check back with me after watching them play 3 of 5 Worlds rounds at ****ing Eureka.

Nokia set the Gold standard (literally) for Pro level courses when it debuted. It has elevation, tight lines, wooded holes, low ceilings, and, yes, OB lines on some holes. It doesn’t have more gimme holes or gimmicks than 90% of the crap being designed here in the states...

Courses I can barely watch: Vegas, Memorial, Emporia CC, the golf course at DeLa that ruins the event, Utah open, Ledgestone...

end rant

I agree that those regular golf courses suck for disc golf. DeLa is great to watch until they hit that golf course part.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 98 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
By seasoned, do you mean jaded?
let's not split hairs, they're one and the same thing.

Quote:
I’d rather watch this course than the vast majority of the DGPT and NT courses. Check back with me after watching them play 3 of 5 Worlds rounds at ****ing Eureka.
lake eureka has grown on me over the past few seasons. from a pure viewing perspective, beast and it are on par.

Quote:
Nokia set the Gold standard (literally) for Pro level courses when it debuted. It has elevation, tight lines, wooded holes, low ceilings, and, yes, OB lines on some holes. It doesn’t have more gimme holes or gimmicks than 90% of the crap being designed here in the states...
fantastic. it is still meh to watch on camera.

Quote:
Courses I can barely watch: Vegas, Memorial, Emporia CC, the golf course at DeLa that ruins the event, Utah open, Ledgestone...
good list. you should have ranked them, included the beast, and put it @ #5.

Quote:
end rant

Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

I think if you got to play the Beast, things would look a little different on camera. Take #11 for example. Simple power hyzer, right? Having stood on the tee, with subtle elevation change, OB on both sides, even laying up for par feels impossible. #15 is also scary as hell from the tee. Etc.

I've played it twice and I think I've ever birdied #13. I suck of course, but to me it gives the superstars that much more super in them to watch them play with apparent ease. Paige getting to 5m on her drive on #17 is another example that blows my mind.

Agree to disagree I guess. I might be influenced by it being a big deal in my home country obviously.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 56
Niced 53 Times in 32 Posts

Paul:
"I knew I was going to win when I missed that putt on hole 1"

This is one of the many reasons he's the best right now. After missing a putt by inches, he takes that as a sign that he's going to hit a lot of them instead of seeing it as a missed opportunity.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Go back and read Steve's post just up thread. Mathematically, Jarva is weaker than I'd like. That said, I agree, it is a good course to watch play on. The beauty of math is that it tells you whether the course is really separating players. Jarva shows that even a lesser course can be fun to watch play on.

Good courses need mutiple elements. Well designed holes that give separation is one element, but the look and play of the course matters too. A course should at least look interesting (Eureka doesn't thrill me either) but a course can't be considered great unless it rewards good players, and punishes mistakes.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
Paul:
"I knew I was going to win when I missed that putt on hole 1"

This is one of the many reasons he's the best right now. After missing a putt by inches, he takes that as a sign that he's going to hit a lot of them instead of seeing it as a missed opportunity.
If Paul said that - it says just as much about how he feels about Eagle and Rick's games right now. Because to feel that way - you have to assume that those guys are going to go in the tank. They had too many strokes on him to think he could do it on his own, and he didn't - he needed them to come back to him.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:31 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,629 Times in 738 Posts

The more rounds you play, the more likely players will average their rating and random luck will even out. With DGPT events at 3 rounds, it increases the chances for lower rated players to finish higher or win than 4 round events.