Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
This video explains when to choose a high glide disc but in doing so, it also explains why you would want the opposite, or low glide disc.

This is an excellent series of videos.
Must see material for those who take the game seriously.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2019, 11:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 390 Times in 137 Posts

Glide numbers are weird to me. Like, they’re the one that seems the most subjective, but when you throw a disc they’re also the easiest number to feel out. Just me?

Old 08-21-2019, 11:19 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 759 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Glide numbers are weird to me. Like, they’re the one that seems the most subjective, but when you throw a disc they’re also the easiest number to feel out. Just me?
Speed also seems subjective too who is the person testing a disc I mean a Putter shaped disc like the Gator or Spider are speed 5 and not a 4 or 3.5 and some of Innova's putters have a wider wing. Fade seems more concrete like a standard can be made for disc based on how the disc is at end of flight, that seems to stay more consistent no matter who is testing a disc.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
The weird thing to me is that even though we know the numbers are relative to speed classes, it seems that for putters a "normal" glide is a 3. For mids a normal glide is a 4, like Rocs are 4/4/0/3...and Buzzz is 5/4/-1/1 from the numbers I find on Infinite. So a "glidey" mid I'd call a 5 of glide or higher.

But then for fairways up to distance drivers a normal glide is 5, like a Teebird and Destroyer are both 5's. Something like a River or Shryke have higher numbers, so you know compared to a "typical" disc of similar speed like Teebird/Destroyer they should be more floaty.

So basically if a disc is "normal", as expected for glide when you throw it then it should have a glide of:
Putters - 3
Mids - 4
Fairway/Control/Distance Drivers - 5

But if some older molds were to be re-released or re-marketed today I think they'd earn some inflated glide numbers compared to what the stamps currently say.

Last edited by slowplastic; 08-22-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:08 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 390 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
The weird thing to me is that even though we know the numbers are relative to speed classes, it seems that for putters a "normal" glide is a 3. For mids a normal glide is a 4, like Rocs are 4/4/0/3...and Buzzz is 5/4/-1/1 from the numbers I find on Infinite. So a "glidey" mid I'd call a 5 of glide or higher.

But then for fairways up to distance drivers a normal glide is 5, like a Teebird and Destroyer are both 5's. Something like a River or Shryke have higher numbers, so you know compared to a "typical" disc of similar speed like Teebird/Destroyer they should be more floaty.

So basically if a disc is "normal", as expected for glide when you throw it then it should have a glide of:
Putters - 3
Mids - 4
Fairway/Control/Distance Drivers - 5

But if some older molds were to be re-released or re-marketed today I think they'd earn some inflated glide numbers compared to what the stamps currently say.
That’s kinda what I’m saying. It’s hard to define what “glidey” is but you and I both know that we could pick up any pair of discs in the same range (putter, mid, fairway, etc) and throw them a couple times and say which is glidier.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,358 Times in 793 Posts

I really like the "1" Glide BERG for upshots, no risk of going/gliding past the basket. . it just drops and stays

Niced: (3)
Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 48 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
That was Why until recently 2017 that mold an old Flat top DX beat top from 2005 fly straight was his putter, then the Stud came out and that was his putter I got him for birthday as his old DX Flat top Gator was nearly dead like one good wack to the metal non chains of the basket and that disc was toast. Also he was having that DX Gator be US.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KtYwWsVKU4
Old 08-22-2019, 07:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 329 Times in 199 Posts

I would recommend a Gator for anyone's first low glide disc. you'll find it can really come in handy, especially on windy days.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
I really like the "1" Glide BERG for upshots, no risk of going/gliding past the basket. . it just drops and stays
Second this. You;ll love the Berg. Fantastic for FH and BH upshots. Very resistant to turning over and drops like a rock when it's done.

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but, I believe, that higher glide also makes any nose angle issues more apparent. In my experience, this seems true. I used to love my River when I was a beginner because it gave me much more distance than some other discs I was throwing but as I got better my FD became my FW of choice as it seemed less finicky about angles in general and especially nose angle.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,127 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
That was Why until recently 2017 that mold an old Flat top DX beat top from 2005 fly straight was his putter, then the Stud came out and that was his putter I got him for birthday as his old DX Flat top Gator was nearly dead like one good wack to the metal non chains of the basket and that disc was toast. Also he was having that DX Gator be US.
Do you read over your posts before you hit submit? Because this is just straight gibberish.