Old 08-26-2019, 07:59 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Using Drones to Enhance Disc Golf Courses

Hello all,

I love the game of disc golf and played for many years! I know disc golf courses are somewhat similar to PGA golf courses. Golf is a dying sport. However, disc golf is something more affordable and can gain much more popularity than PGA one day!

Anyways, I am wondering if any of the disc golf course designers ever utilized drones to help design courses. I am experienced in using drone mapping which could produce precise 3D models with accurate measurements. In addition, some of the new drones are pretty spiffy to navigate in highly wooded areas or the pilot has the extra precision to produce amazing video footages. Does anyone see this could be highly beneficial?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 266 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSpeed Aerials View Post
I know disc golf courses are somewhat similar to PGA golf courses.
Ummm, Ive never seen a PGA cup directly surrounded by trees or water.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:13 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I said "somewhat." The theory of course designing is very similar.

Iīd love to see a PGA game where golfers are stuck because they could not hit around a hole with tons of trees in the way. They need to update the game with some interesting challenges besides the normal bunkers, water hazards, and small amount of trees.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 758 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Ummm, Ive never seen a PGA cup directly surrounded by trees or water.
no but one of the PDGA tournaments has an almost Island on it almost in the way the one signature hole is at the Glass Blown open on the non traditional ball golf course. The ball will roll off the skinny strip of land used to connect course to the island so you have to play from the tee to the island.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 266 Times in 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSpeed Aerials View Post
I said "somewhat." The theory of course designing is very similar.
Yeah. I know. Sorry, I was being a bit snarky.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:35 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 132 Times in 49 Posts

We used Google Earth for overhead views while designing our courses, but I've often thought some drone footage for marketing purposes would be useful. I'd also like to have a drone flyover video for each of our holes, then put the QR code for each video on the tee sign so players can watch the flyover before teeing off.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-27-2019, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts

I don't know that drones would be particularly helpful in design. When walking a property, you need to look in all directions, all the time; drone footage wouldn't do that. A drone-produced map wouldn't show specific features well enough.

One real benefit of maps is showing the relationship of one hole to another, to figure routing, available space, conflicts, etc. A better map is better, of course, but I'm not sure it would be enough better to warrant the effort.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,032 Times in 849 Posts

I don't really think drone footage is more useful to me as a designer than the maps commonly available through google or the various gis systems. Having the drone at hand during the process to simply check on some spatial relationships probably would be once I got familiar enough to make good use of it.

Where it is useful is doing something like they have at Muddy Run in PA where they have QR codes linked to drone footage on the tee signs. This is something we are intending to incorporate as an offering in our design packages.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:01 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It all depends. If anyone is in the Midwest, Iīd be happy to test it out and see what is capable of it!

Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 AM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblambert View Post
We used Google Earth for overhead views while designing our courses, but I've often thought some drone footage for marketing purposes would be useful. I'd also like to have a drone flyover video for each of our holes, then put the QR code for each video on the tee sign so players can watch the flyover before teeing off.
I've seen this before but I thought it was pretty much pointless and going overboard. Plus, do people actually have their phones out like that on every hole?....sounds like a chore more than anything. Just post the drone footage on a website.....the sign itself should be telling you what you need to know