Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 06-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default According to the salesman at Dicks Sporting Goods.. the Tern is replacing the Teebird

A little story you guys may find as entertaining as I did: I was at Dicks Sporting Goods the other afternoon looking at camping equipment with my parents, and I just stopped by the little section they have dedicated to disc golf. I noticed they had a Tern so I just picked it up and started feeling/looking at it. A salesman came over to me and said, have you thrown one of those yet?!? I replied, no I don't have a need for any thing this fast in my bag cause I don't have the arm for it. He then says, what's your highest speed in your bag? I told em a speed 9. He then asks me what disc I use the most. I told him, Teebirds. He then proceeds to tell me that he has heard a lot of people are replacing their Teebirds with the Tern so I should definitely look in to getting one. I didn't even look at him and just said, I doubt that. There was an obvious offended tone in his voice when he asked me why I felt that way. So I told him, simply put the Teebird and the Tern are nothing a like and there is no way any one that actually knows about disc characteristics is going to replace their Teebird with a Tern. He then says to me, what do you mean by disc characteristics? Every disc I've ever thrown flies exactly the same............. I then tried telling him about the speed, glide, turn, and fade.. but every time I said the word "turn" he thought I was referring to the disc. So I said, as kindly as possible, you should learn a little more about disc golf before you try selling the sport to others. He says well thanks for the heads up, and walked away. Was I too much of a d*ck??? Lol
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes. I'd say he was highly educated for a Dick's employee.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

For some sad reason, I can definitely see this happening. It's sad, but some people just don't get it. You should invite him to play a round with you some time so that way he can understand what he is selling.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds like a typical salesman
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 69
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I at least give him partial credit for trying. The first/only time I ventured to find the 'Innova rack at the local Dick's, it took two employees to figure out that there even was one in the store.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:47 PM

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the guy was just trying to help. I am not sure, but I doubt he gets much from the sale of a champ tern at dicks sporting goods. Maybe he has only played a couple times and one of his newbie buddies told him tern are the best.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,690 Times in 1,536 Posts

Gotta figure he was taking the ball golf sales route on that one. Any sporting goods salesperson can pull the "it's the latest and greatest, everyone's buying one" routine with the latest Big Bertha driver, even if they know zilch about golf, since normally you only carry one driver in your bag.

Obviously with his clearly limited experience throwing golf discs, in his mind, it works the same way and whatever the "latest and greatest" driver from Innova happens to be is going to be what everyone wants in their bag this season.

I bet if you explained to him that the Tern would be like a Big Bertha and the Teebird is more like a 3 or 4-iron, he might have grasped onto the concept quicker. Sounds like you were polite with him, though.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 84
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn9cian4life View Post
He then proceeds to tell me that he has heard a lot of people are replacing their Groove with the Tern so I should definitely look in to getting one.
FTFY
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 573
Niced 198 Times in 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truk View Post
I at least give him partial credit for trying. The first/only time I ventured to find the 'Innova rack at the local Dick's, it took two employees to figure out that there even was one in the store.
^^ Dicks' in the East Towne Mall in Madison has a pretty big Innova rack stocked with discs and it took me three people just to get to the right FLOOR that it was located on...

Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Moral: Sales people say whatever sells stuff.

Maybe his logic was that a "Tern" is a sea bird that starts with the letter T, so its kind of like they finally named the Teebird properly - the "tee" bird is just the "Tern". The irony is the Teebird is loved for being Straight, not having very much "Turn".

Last edited by DG_Before_Breakfast; 06-19-2013 at 06:04 PM.