Old 09-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,501 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknjerk View Post
Just picked up a Plasma 172 to support my local Pro. I already have am Octane 173 that I am throwing 350 with zero turn (I can throw my Max weight Wave 360 on a hyzer flex line). Its rainy so I can't test yet, will this thrown flat minic what I can throw my Wave does?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Proton I had was like a better feeling Wave, a touch of turn and a late biting fade.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 950 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
The plasma and neutron Mayhem i have thrown were pretty beefy, like almost Octane beefy.
Only Mayhems that i have thrown that are true to the -2 turn are the Protons.
I've thrown several Mayhems in both plastics. For me they aren't quite as overstable as an Octane. I definitely get better distance with the Mayhem than the Octane. Octanes are hard to turn, and they don't like to hold a turn either. They're eager to fade.

The Mayhem can be a little touchy. It has -2 turn, but it isn't always easy to achieve. When you get a little over aggressive with the Mayhem it'll flip pretty hard. Great hyzerflip disc when you're looking to go 400'+. I've grown to like the Mayhem quite a bit more than I did initially.

The Mayhem is just a bit flippy to be a "workhorse" driver for me, but it can cover the understable slot pretty well.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
The Proton I had was like a better feeling Wave, a touch of turn and a late biting fade.
The Mayhem takes power a lot better than a Wave. Waves will just flip all over the place when you really lay into them. The Mayhem will usually hold steady if you put some hyzer on it.

The Mayhem is simply a better driver than the Wave in every way.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 55 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've thrown several Mayhems in both plastics. For me they aren't quite as overstable as an Octane. I definitely get better distance with the Mayhem than the Octane. Octanes are hard to turn, and they don't like to hold a turn either. They're eager to fade.

The Mayhem can be a little touchy. It has -2 turn, but it isn't always easy to achieve. When you get a little over aggressive with the Mayhem it'll flip pretty hard. Great hyzerflip disc when you're looking to go 400'+. I've grown to like the Mayhem quite a bit more than I did initially.

The Mayhem is just a bit flippy to be a "workhorse" driver for me, but it can cover the understable slot pretty well.
I've found that the Mayhem-- actually now that I think about it, not unlike a lot of other gyro-- has a really slow turn. I always have a tendency to release too flat because it looks great, but then just keeps turning a little further than I want it to. I know I'm really going to like the disc so I want to keep working with it, but it will force me to actually figure out my angles and throw more controlled power shots.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
I've found that the Mayhem-- actually now that I think about it, not unlike a lot of other gyro-- has a really slow turn. I always have a tendency to release too flat because it looks great, but then just keeps turning a little further than I want it to. I know I'm really going to like the disc so I want to keep working with it, but it will force me to actually figure out my angles and throw more controlled power shots.
One thing I notice about gyro drivers is that they either turn fully over or not at all. Stuff like the Tenacity, Relativity, Catalyst, and Mayhem. Thrown hyzer all those discs sometimes stubbornly stay hyzer. Then you throw them flat and they just go dive bombing right. Take the Relativity for example. Its probably one of the 3 longest drivers I've ever thrown. When you get the right amount of turn on it nothing on the market can keep up. However, the Relativity has this annoying habit of either not turning at all, or dive bombing right. Seldom do you get that perfect flex flight out of it.

I guess my point is, you have to be pretty precise in your release angle to get the right amount of turn with those discs. You also have to take the wind into consideration. The Tenacity will bomb for days downwind, but if there's even a hint of breeze at your face the disc will flip over hard.

The last Mayhem I threw was a Proton, and I loved it. Perfect amount of turn, and it wouldn't flip all the way over. I was throwing at 100% power flat and the disc was flexing nicely out past 450'. All my other Mayhems are slightly flippier and more erratic.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:58 PM

Niced 19 Times in 11 Posts

Mayhem in my opinion is closer to a Catalyst than it is to a Wave.
I have a Mayhem and also a couple of Catalysts, but im not bagging them simply because I can get a Photon or a Wave to a similar distance with more consistency. With any wind gusts, those 13 speed understable drivers tend to turn too much. My Photons are much more reliable in all conditions and they are more comfortable to grip as well.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:14 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 18 Times in 14 Posts

I cant can't get my Photon to not immediately start fading. It gradually fades them at the end dumps. My Octane I can throw for 80% straight the slight dump.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old 09-19-2020, 09:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDG View Post
Mayhem in my opinion is closer to a Catalyst than it is to a Wave.
I have a Mayhem and also a couple of Catalysts, but im not bagging them simply because I can get a Photon or a Wave to a similar distance with more consistency. With any wind gusts, those 13 speed understable drivers tend to turn too much. My Photons are much more reliable in all conditions and they are more comfortable to grip as well.
I agree. Very similar discs there. Catalyst might be just a HAIR flippier than the Mayhem.

Neither one is ideal for headwinds of any sort.