Old 06-24-2019, 06:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 72
Niced 390 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Right. I couldn't remember if at some point there was a Q&A that changed that (one of my least favorite things about PDGA rules is the Q&A being official rules; I don't have a copy of the Q&A to carry on the course).
I am working to remove rules that exist solely in the Q&A. The Q&A should only be explanatory for the rules themselves.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 265 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Right. I couldn't remember if at some point there was a Q&A that changed that (one of my least favorite things about PDGA rules is the Q&A being official rules; I don't have a copy of the Q&A to carry on the course).
Couldn't find it to quote before.

Quote:
QA-PUT-1: If Im straddle putting, does my other foot have to be on a line perpendicular to my lie?
No. Your other foot can be as close to the target as the back of your marker. So, your other foot does not have to be directly to the side of the foot behind the marker. In fact, the foot behind your marker can be as much as 30cm back (the length of the lie) and/or 10cm to the side (half of the lies 20cm width), which means that your other foot can actually be closer to the target. It just cant be closer than the back of your marker. Also remember that the shape that marks the same distance to the target as the back of your marker is a circle whose center is the target.
I think the Q&A must be part of the official rules, as in they are official interpretations of the rules. But I totally agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
I am working to remove rules that exist solely in the Q&A. The Q&A should only be explanatory for the rules themselves.
An excellent objective, fully support you in this. Have you got a complete list of the 'offending' rules that live in the Q&A? Or do you want suggestions?

Niced: (2)
Old 06-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 102 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
If you're taking requests, an up-to-date rule book with my membership would be really nice
Old 06-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 72
Niced 390 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesethin View Post

An excellent objective, fully support you in this. Have you got a complete list of the 'offending' rules that live in the Q&A? Or do you want suggestions?
I have a couple, but would welcome the input. Shoot me an email. You can use the contact link here: https://www.pdga.com/general-contact?role_id=82
Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 213
Niced 611 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Here's a straw man for you, but I really don't know the answer.

Is that graphic really really correct? Say I DROT; can I really straddle the basket, given my legs are long enough?

I've always used the line perpendicular to the line of play as my barrier (I think I saw that on a Climo putting video).
It absolutely is. I've gotten into this argument on occasion, because I use the "crooked straddle" quite often. That's my based putting stance. But the rule does not say "no closer than your 'other foot'," it says no closer than the rear of the marker disc. I think a video to explain that might be in order.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 110
Niced 241 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discflinger View Post
Ok, I just need a quick verification. In the last couple years I started straddle putting without marking my lie and putting the off foot to the edge of the perpindicular line created by the front of my disc to the pole. I never thought it was necessarily legal, but used it for ease and speed of play for casual rounds. I just thought it was a way to gain advantage of marking without bending over and fiddling with crap. However, I really do like the way it plays and just wanted confirmation that I should not do it in competitive rounds. I have tried looking for something definitive in the rules, but never struck gold.
Do this just move the off foot to the perpendicular line of the back of the disc not the front. You can move the on foot to 29.9cm behind the disc and still be legal with the off foot forward stance you like. I do this but not with my on and off foot I do it with my right foot forward and left foot slightly back. I straddle putt for my main putt. So if Im straddle putting with my right foot on the mark my right front is right up to the mini. If im using my left foot on the mark its back like 11 (0cm) and my right foot is up to that perpendicular line across the back of the disc. Its best if your tournament play was just like your casual play itll keep you in a better mindset than having to adjust for tournaments from something that isnt a legal stance.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 110
Niced 241 Times in 135 Posts

lol less than 30cm shows up with a heart
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 98
Niced 127 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiac View Post
lol less than 30cm shows up with a heart
Because < + 3 is emoji shorthand for .

Old 07-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 154
Niced 628 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Here's a straw man for you, but I really don't know the answer.

Is that graphic really really correct? Say I DROT; can I really straddle the basket, given my legs are long enough?

I've always used the line perpendicular to the line of play as my barrier (I think I saw that on a Climo putting video).
IMO, there's no clarification needed in the Q&A for this (but I'm not upset that it's in there). It's the simple geometric definition of a circle. It's not the job of the PDGA rules to teach definitions of common words or geometry.

But yes, you're correct. If your disc is close enough, you can straddle the basket with your feet. While that's a pretty stupid idea, there are cases where this is actually handy. Think of hole 7 at Winthrop Gold, with the double mando located 30' from the basket. If your disc lands just to the outside of the mando but did not cross the mando line, you might be able to reach your off foot around the mando and actually get it closer to the basket than your marker.

Niced: (1)