Old 05-05-2020, 08:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,111 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Somewhere in my cheek, there was a tongue.
Reminds me that people keep telling me to bite my tongue, not realizing it was in my cheek the whole time. Well, at least I've got a head start. The life of an amateur satirists.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-05-2020, 09:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,448 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
"Digging into the biochemistry of viruses, we are struck in particular by a genetic string of RNA in covid-19 -- specifically the polybasic furin cleavage site PRRA -- that has all the appearance of an "insert" (i.e., something that does NOT look like a natural mutation)"
This is an interesting question so I did a dive. Most of the articles concluded that natural origin is most likely; a few stated that a laboratory construct could not be conclusively ruled out.

Thanks for an interesting few hours of reading research studies.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Master Question List, 28 April 2020 (clicky) does an excellent job of summarizing current research findings:

All current evidence supports the natural emergence of SARS-CoV-2 via a bat and possible intermediate mammal species. . . .

•Genomic analysis suggests that SARS-CoV-2 is a natural variant, and is unlikely to be human-derived or otherwise created by “recombination” with other circulating strains of coronavirus.17, 298

•Genomic data support at least two plausible origins of SARS-CoV-2: “(i) natural selection in a non-human animal host prior to zoonotic transfer, and (ii) natural selection in humans following zoonotic transfer.”17 Both scenarios are consistent with the observed genetic changes found in all known SARS-CoV-2 isolates.

•Some SARS-CoV-2 genomic evidence indicates a close relationship with pangolin coronaviruses,274 and data suggest that pangolins may be a natural host for beta-coronaviruses.162-163 Additional research is needed.

•A novel bat coronavirus (RmYN02) has been identified in China with an insertion in the viral furin cleavage site. While distinct from the insertion in SARS-CoV-2, this evidence shows that such insertions can occur naturally.297

•Additionally, “[...] SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone,” reducing the likelihood of laboratory origination,17 and “[...] genomic evidence does not support the idea that SARS-CoV-2 is a laboratory construct, [though] it is currently impossible to prove or disprove the other theories of its origin.”17

Old 05-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 74
Niced 863 Times in 320 Posts

Yeah let’s not succumb to the whackball conspiracies. Any nutbag can start a youtube channel and claim all kinds of nonsense.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,087 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCready View Post
Any nutbag can start a youtube channel and claim all kinds of nonsense.
Or, apparently, become president of the United States.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 21
Niced 134 Times in 54 Posts

Speaking as an outsider on the other side of the globe...we have had total deaths here that equal your hourly tolls in the US and are taking it very very slow easing restrictions. The US is about to have one of its worst days so far in terms of deaths, and stuff is opening up.

I dont get it, not at all. You cant really lock cities or borders there, so just because its not in your area now, doesnt mean it wont be. Its like watching a bad horror movie, and seeing people play outside in the dark, even though the killer is lurking in the shadows. To see pictures of dgers out playing in large groups already just kills me, I gotta delete pages and people before it drives me crazy.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:43 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,604 Times in 2,021 Posts

I think part of the problem in the US is the vehemence with which many Americans value our freedoms, and feel we're entitled to them "no matter what," regardless of who or how many get harmed (e.g. assault rifles).

There's a certain, "I have a constitutional right to ______, and I'll be damned if anyone's gonna tell me I can't," ...and many of those folks seem to be acknowledging the reality of the pandemic as depicted here:

Old 05-05-2020, 11:40 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,128 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I hear this a lot from dismissers. It just does not make sense. I get that healthcare is a business, but in my experience, the people that work within the industry, overwhelmingly have a pretty basic altruistic drive. While lying on a death certificate could benefit a hospital system, in some very convoluted way, it just don't see clinicians buying into this kind of intellectual dishonesty.
Im not dismissing anything but even MDH revised how they listed deaths many times over. I was just asking.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,448 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Im not dismissing anything but even MDH revised how they listed deaths many times over. I was just asking.
I'm just gonna quote myself:

Quote:
As I have pointed out a few times, the CDC uses a mathematical model to estimate flu deaths after flu season is over. So comparing confirmed COVID-19 deaths in the middle of a pandemic with mathematically modeled flu deaths is very much an unfair comparison.

Using an apples-to-apples comparison of confirmed COVID-19 deaths with confirmed flu deaths, COVID-19 is already eight times as deadly as the flu. And by next month, that comparison will be even higher in "favor" of COVID-19.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,128 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
I'm just gonna quote myself:
Any idea why they as well as many others have decided to list pneumonia and flu covid deaths separately?

If my mom is old and falls breaks a bone and ends up dead (very common) what is her cause of death? Im seriously asking as this doesnt seem to have a clear answer based on any possible underlying conditions.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,017 Times in 1,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Sorry Aim...I wasn't calling you a dismisser. Just that I have heard this presented by many that are.