Old 07-23-2020, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,471 Times in 758 Posts

What a typical DGCR thread. Pretty simple, straight forward topic turns into something else with trolls, troll feeding and even some politics thrown into a technique and strategy thread.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (3)
Old 07-23-2020, 05:50 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 258 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
The course he is describing is 3380' total. That's an average of 188' per hole. Have you ever seen a course that short host a sanctioned tournament? I sure haven't. His course has 4 sets of tee pads, and I don't see any chance that a non-juniors division would play from the shortest tees. He linked the course in his initial post, but here it is again for reference:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...d=3371&mode=hi

So while the courses in your area may have short tees that are reasonably challenging, the course he is describing is not. It's clearly designed for new players, kids, and one disc rounds. Hence why I said "the course that you are describing, and courses that I've seen that have a similar challenge, don't utilize the short tee pads during tournaments. Even for the Rec Division."
Uhhhhh, now go look at Valley Springs, which plays about 3350 over the 18 holes from the reds.

I thought one of the selling points of disc golf was the idea that even very new players were encouraged to get involved and play tournaments. That’s the message I’ve seen frequently, anyway.

Whatever.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 210 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
So while the courses in your area may have short tees that are reasonably challenging, the course he is describing is not.
And you know this because you've actually PLAYED the course from the red tees, not just looked at the pics, yes?
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 802 Times in 488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstine View Post
And you know this because you've actually PLAYED the course from the red tees, not just looked at the pics, yes?
I know it because a guy who has played for only three months just shot 5 down. And because its average hole is less than 190'. And because of the pictures.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by aphilso1; 07-23-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-24-2020, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 3
Niced 210 Times in 105 Posts

Thinking about this a bit more.

If you are having fun playing the shorts and not getting bored, why not set a goal for -10 or -12 and keep working towards that? It isn't like developing consistency and accuracy is going to hurt your game.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:26 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
Thinking about this a bit more.

If you are having fun playing the shorts and not getting bored, why not set a goal for -10 or -12 and keep working towards that? It isn't like developing consistency and accuracy is going to hurt your game.
I think I need to do both this and play from longer tees. What you are saying here makes perfect sense to me. Consistently hitting the right line with mids and putters is exactly what will let me make that -10. That plus making myself layup off the tee on a few holes instead of trying to throw something that has a slim chance of hitting the line that will get to the green.

The main issue with this course, having now played the whites a few days ago, is that the differential is just too big between the reds and the whites. I usually play Valley Springs from the whites, so I'm likely going to just make sure to mix that one in on a more regular basis. That course kicks my butt, but I can play it, if that makes sense.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,537 Times in 875 Posts

I think it's more important to ask "when to change courses". In other words, have fun at your local course 24/7 but for sure branch out and play the other courses, especially the tougher courses.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:27 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I think it's more important to ask "when to change courses". In other words, have fun at your local course 24/7 but for sure branch out and play the other courses, especially the tougher courses.
Variety is the spice of life, after all.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,461 Times in 575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Variety is the spice of life, after all.
Truth!

One other thing to keep in mind - sometimes a really well-designed course can be suitable for high-level players and ordinary humans. Not that the two necessarily play the course the same way. For example, a tough par 3 for the big guns might make a challenging par 4 for the normally-abled.

So yeah, play a bunch of different courses in your area. Looks like there is an abundance of courses with varying challenges not to far from you. See what you enjoy and what you don't. Whoever has the most fun wins, as the saying goes.

There are a lot of different ways to enjoy disc golf; one that many people enjoy is to become a course bagger.

Play the mall!

Niced: (2)

Old 07-25-2020, 09:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,535 Times in 731 Posts

Agreed. You'd be surprised how many lower rated courses are actually really fun. Especially, like Monocacy said, for us normal humans.

Niced: (3)