Old 08-19-2020, 04:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 32
Niced 744 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discerdoo View Post
Those are both great FH discs but they'll also teach someone new to FH to throw with an anny release. Stable's advice is better for a beginner to learn good FH form, imop.
I learned to throw FH with a Champion Monster & it for sure set back my development.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2020, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,129 Times in 960 Posts

Take all your discs into a field. Throw them FH. You'll get a good idea of your preferred FH discs after awhile.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:13 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 42 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I would recommend a Buzzz / Valkyrie combo to learn forehands. Learning to throw those molds straight will create a really good foundation. Add more os molds later.

I don't think learning to throw really os molds with lots of anyhyzer is the best starting point.

Grab an ESP/Z Buzzz & Champion Valkyrie, tuck your elbow in & throw them flat or with slight anyhyzer.
Very underrated combo for people who don't throw bombs. Valkyrie and Warship are two of my main FH discs. Few people ever develop a straight FH because they learned by throwing OS discs at full power.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 76
Niced 174 Times in 128 Posts

I learned to play golf all sidearm with a champ sidewinder. I think learning sidearm with an understable fairway is a decent way to do things. But learning with a putter would produce the best forehand. I have found for forehand the flatter and more shallow a disc is, the easier it is to forehand.

My current favorite discs of each speed for a forehand for power shots are PD2, Spirit, Trident, Quake, Zone. And for more touch shots are Shryke, beat straight Firebird, Trident, Demon, Harp.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,941 Times in 846 Posts

There is a wooded tunnel 270ft slightly down hill turning a bit right hole near me. I have seen everything from Destroyers, Banshees, Firebirds and every other overstable disc out there thrown at it. They never work.
I flip up a DX Sringray, it flies flat and gravity and the hill take over and it just slightly fades at the end. If I do my part, it works every time.

The funny thing is how many people argue with the result. You can't FH a Stingray, it's too understable! It's amazing how ingrained FH lore is, you've seen it done, but they refuse to believe the results.

I learned how to throw forehands with a Zephyr!
When I teach people to stop being torque monkeys, I start them with a DX Aviar P&A. Start slow, smooth and with control and you can learn to flick anything.

You can help end torque monkey FH syndrome in your neighborhood!

Niced: (2)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 180
Niced 1,451 Times in 573 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
There is a wooded tunnel 270ft slightly down hill turning a bit right hole near me. I have seen everything from Destroyers, Banshees, Firebirds and every other overstable disc out there thrown at it. They never work.
I flip up a DX Sringray, it flies flat and gravity and the hill take over and it just slightly fades at the end. If I do my part, it works every time.
Similar hole at Clark's Run, but about 300' with an OB creek all along the left side. Most folks throw a BH turnover with a neutral disc but that risks fading OB. I prefer to flick an understable fairway, starting it on a steep hyzer and letting the disc flatten out throughout the flight to match the fairway.

Anything overstable will finish in the jail trees short right of the basket.

And yes, flicking putters is not only a great way to learn, but also inherently useful for approach shots.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 42 Times in 15 Posts

I played Clarks Run last Sunday and flicked my ESP Buzzz a ton. Used it off the tee at least twice with good success. Love the straight finish that sits down gently.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 100
Niced 844 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I learned how to throw forehands with a Zephyr!
I never really got forehands until I learned them with a Condor.

I still have a long way to go, but my favorite forehand driver is my Pro Sidewinder.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:34 PM
Par Member

Niced 46 Times in 34 Posts

This morning was officially the first day of my doing specified field work to work on my nonexistent forehand. I found the most success and distance with my TL3 and flippy 160g ballista pro, both of which I could get out to around 180-190 feet every once in a while on baby flexes.

I still only use my Zone for short (less than 50 feet) upshot forehands when I need to during rounds.

The consistently true quality about what I've found makes a good forehand disc is slim profile. Hopefully within a sold month's worth of field work I can get a consistent 250 footer and start developing some accuracy.

Old 08-21-2020, 10:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,129 Times in 960 Posts

I've played with quite a few FH dominant players. To an outside observer, their disc preferences would seem contradictory. That's the beauty of disc golf. The equipment exists, but there is no standard way to use it. If a disc works for you, keep working it in the way that works.