Old 08-28-2020, 05:35 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
I really don't understand all the DX plastic recommendations. I will say that I used to throw a lot of DX, but you end up spending a LOT more money constantly replacing them, and they just change WAY too fast and then become completely unthrowable after a few rounds. Find something that throws great or maybe SLIGHTLY more stable than you're looking for, that feels solid in the hand, and get it in a more premium plastic such as Star, ESP or Z. You'll grow with the disc as it slowly seasons, and it will stay in the sweet spot many times longer than DX ever will.

What molds were you throwing in dx that became “unthrowable”? I guess I could see this happening with high speed drivers, but my entire bag is almost all dx , I have at least 50 rounds with these discs , and none of them are close to unthrowable.

OP - just noticed you have a 166g DX teebird. Probably beefy right now, but that thing will beat into the straightest, glidiest disc you own. If the comet was a fairway driver, it would be a beat dx teebird
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2020, 06:09 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 435 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
What molds were you throwing in dx that became “unthrowable”? I guess I could see this happening with high speed drivers, but my entire bag is almost all dx , I have at least 50 rounds with these discs , and none of them are close to unthrowable.

OP - just noticed you have a 166g DX teebird. Probably beefy right now, but that thing will beat into the straightest, glidiest disc you own. If the comet was a fairway driver, it would be a beat dx teebird
I have to agree with this. I play a lot with mostly DX stuff, plenty of woods and RARELY to I end up with a disc that's unthrowable. drivers especially tend to become more usable for me.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:27 AM
Par Member

Niced 47 Times in 35 Posts

I'm thinking if I could find a GStar TL3 in the low 150s, it would be pretty similar, but beat in much slower. One thing I don't like one bit about the DX plastic is how stiff it is-- makes power gripping feel awkward. When control gripping it's quite alright, though.

I hear a lot of good things about the Essence, but I don't know how it'd compare directly to my Fury and 150g dx tl3.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:00 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 353 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
I'm thinking if I could find a GStar TL3 in the low 150s, it would be pretty similar, but beat in much slower. One thing I don't like one bit about the DX plastic is how stiff it is-- makes power gripping feel awkward. When control gripping it's quite alright, though.

I hear a lot of good things about the Essence, but I don't know how it'd compare directly to my Fury and 150g dx tl3.

Dx starts out really stiff then beats in softer.

If you decide you don’t want that teebird hit me on pm. I’d definitely be open to a trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2020, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,565 Times in 780 Posts

for OP's arm speed, I'd recommend a pro leopard or bigZ sting

Niced: (1)
Old 08-28-2020, 05:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 193 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post

Oh boy, where do I start.... thrown everything from Leopards, destroyers, Teebirds, wedges, Rocs, stringrays, thunderbirds... I’m sure there’s more.
They’re flight path just changed so fast that it’s hard to trust them, and get to the point that they have large gashes that they get really flippy and also don’t feel very good in the hand.

To each their own, but I sure as hell won’t trust any dx more than any of my star or champion molds.

For instance, I throw a star leopard. It’s still a bit stable but it’s starting to get a lot of turn, and I can throw it in huge turnovers without the worry of burning out. I also know it’s going to throw the same for a LONG time. Dx just doesn’t do that.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:07 PM
Par Member

Yeah I mean ideally I wouldn't want to deal with the durability of DX (or even pro for that matter), but as it stands right now I'm not finding much in this speed range in a premo plstic that is seemingly as flippy as a lightweight DX driver.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Par Member

You know there is a mold that I've been kind of turning a blind eye to, and that's the Diamond. That might also be what I'm looking for. Seems understable enough.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 54 Times in 30 Posts

My go to shot for this slot is an Archer, I'm currently bagging both an ace race ESP disc and a Z plastic. For holes in the 250-280' the archer is great, anything longer than that and it's too flippy for me.
This was my first experience with plastic making a difference in the disc. The esp disc now gets used mostly for standstill approach shots where I don't have a forehand lie or 220-250' ish tee shots where I want to hyzer flip with late turn that doesn't fight back. Usually if I try to go any longer it'll turn throwler.
The Z plastic is great for 200-250' tunnel shots, on a bit of hyzer it'll flip to flat, drift left then finish with a baby hyzer (LHBH) thrown off the tee I give it 30-45 degrees of hyzer angle and let it flip to flat about 70-100' down the fairway, then lazily drift left before finishing back towards the center but still a bit left of the tee.

All of that said. The Archer may not be as long as you want. When I first started playing the archer was among my longest discs (thanks understability and glide) but as I slowly improve and my form gets better I'm able to put other "understable discs" like DX teebirds out into the 300-320' range. That has me on a similar hunt for a disc that flips and turns like an Archer, but can cover longer distances like a teebird. I suspect eventually my teebird will beat into that, and when that happens I'll live in fear of the day I lose it and have to start the cycling process over again.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 144 Times in 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
My go to shot for this slot is an Archer, I'm currently bagging both an ace race ESP disc and a Z plastic. For holes in the 250-280' the archer is great, anything longer than that and it's too flippy for me.
This was my first experience with plastic making a difference in the disc. The esp disc now gets used mostly for standstill approach shots where I don't have a forehand lie or 220-250' ish tee shots where I want to hyzer flip with late turn that doesn't fight back. Usually if I try to go any longer it'll turn throwler.
The Z plastic is great for 200-250' tunnel shots, on a bit of hyzer it'll flip to flat, drift left then finish with a baby hyzer (LHBH) thrown off the tee I give it 30-45 degrees of hyzer angle and let it flip to flat about 70-100' down the fairway, then lazily drift left before finishing back towards the center but still a bit left of the tee.

All of that said. The Archer may not be as long as you want. When I first started playing the archer was among my longest discs (thanks understability and glide) but as I slowly improve and my form gets better I'm able to put other "understable discs" like DX teebirds out into the 300-320' range. That has me on a similar hunt for a disc that flips and turns like an Archer, but can cover longer distances like a teebird. I suspect eventually my teebird will beat into that, and when that happens I'll live in fear of the day I lose it and have to start the cycling process over again.
Heat or Sidewinder might give you 20-30 more feet. (Star SW, Z Heat). Pro Valk you could try as well. I bought one recently and it's about -3/1 at 350.

Others you could look at DD Vandal, Lat Fury, Legacy Mongoose.