Old 09-08-2020, 11:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 339 Times in 198 Posts
Default When to move on from a disc?

So, I have an S-line P2 that has been my main throwing putter for several years. Iíve had more long throw-ins with this disc than any other.

Lately I just donít throw it as well as I used to and Iím sort of losing confidence in the disc.

I have a stack of P2ís and have tried a few fresh ones to see if it gives me back my mojo but that isnít working either.

I have other putters that I throw better these days but they donít have that magic attraction to the basket like my trusty old P2.

So, do I stick to my guns and work things out with that special P2 in hopes or rekindling those magical moments or retire it and move on?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2020, 12:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,541 Times in 734 Posts

I switch putters every, like, ten minutes or so I don't quite understand the question.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:42 AM
Eagle Member

Iím not really talking about putting.

I mean if you had a disc that was one of your go-to discs that you could always trust (putter, mid, driver, whatever) and suddenly you just couldnít throw it or trust it like you used to is it time to find a replacement for that old standby or do you devote yourself to basically trying to relearn that trusty old workhorse?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:20 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 193 Times in 104 Posts

When you no longer have confidence in the disc. A disc leaves my bag if I can't think of the last time I threw it, or if there's a similar disc that does the job better. If you can't pick up the disc and say "think disc is perfect for ______" then there's no use for it in your bag.
Sometimes I take things out of my bag and put new things in, and sometimes I revisit old discs that I haven't thrown in awhile.
As for putters.... There's likely nothing wrong with your putter, but more likely your putt. That said, you also need to have confidence in the putter you hold. The most important thing about a putter is the way it feels, as you won't see a huge difference in flight within close range between different putters. Throwing putters is a different story.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-09-2020, 01:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 266 Times in 124 Posts

Your putter has lost confidence in you.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:01 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
As for putters.... There's likely nothing wrong with your putter, but more likely your putt.

My putts are good. Well, as good as theyíve always been anyways.

Itís those 150 to 275 foot throws that used to be a thing of beauty and would occasionally find their way into the basket that Iíve been struggling with. Iím sure something must have changed with my throw but I miss the way the P2 and I just clicked. Iíve gone to throwing a Zone if I have room left or right to work it and if I need a straight shot Iíve just been throwing one of my putting putters.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 335
Niced 621 Times in 299 Posts

it sounds like the special one is beat to the point that it's outside the magic zone now. and the fresh ones are too new. i think you need to pick one to beat in and get it to the magic zone.

basically, i think you could take the cycling approach. if you keep 3 in the bag you should be good. the old one for more glide and more turn, another one that you're beating in to get to the sweet spot, and a third to throw occasionally and start to beat in to keep the cycle going. plus if you lose a disc, you have one that is partially beat already and you don't have to start from scratch.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 2
Niced 266 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
My putts are good. Well, as good as theyíve always been anyways.

Itís those 150 to 275 foot throws that used to be a thing of beauty and would occasionally find their way into the basket that Iíve been struggling with. Iím sure something must have changed with my throw but I miss the way the P2 and I just clicked. Iíve gone to throwing a Zone if I have room left or right to work it and if I need a straight shot Iíve just been throwing one of my putting putters.

150 to 275 that occasionally found the basket? How often did this happen ? Second, how far off is this disc today?

Old 09-09-2020, 07:27 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
150 to 275 that occasionally found the basket? How often did this happen ? Second, how far off is this disc today?

Donít get me wrong, itís not like a high percentage of approaches actually went in but even the ones that didnít were often parked for an easy tap-in.

Iím not a big distance thrower so Iím usually left with some sort upshot after my drive and for years it was this P2 and a Harp. If there was any danger around the green and shot placement was critical the Harp was my go-to. If making a legitimate run for the chains was feasible then I used the P2.

It was just a disc that I had dialed in and knew I could trust. I took it out of my bag for a little while and was experimenting with an Envy. While the Envy is a great throwing putter I just wasnít parking shots or drawing metal with it the way I was with the P2 so put the P2 back in the bag but havenít had the luck with it that I had before.

Maybe itís still upset with me for dumping it for the Envy? Perhaps it feels scorned and betrayed and our relationship just wonít ever be the same again?

Old 09-09-2020, 07:35 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 130 Times in 95 Posts

Put the P2 in the closet and in a dark drawer for a timeout. After it learned it's lesson it will be back to it's old self. ;D

I know for me my grip can change over time. I like to power grip my putters too, so my grip starts to get further and further rotated counter clockwise maybe a few degrees. So then my putter shots now come out with a tad bit of OAT. I just make sure my palm/grip is 90 degrees to the flight plate or straight vertical. Might be something to check out.