Old 09-08-2020, 10:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,181 Times in 612 Posts
Default WI/UP/MN/Midwest

I have a month off work starting this Saturday.

I have no plans.

Tell me where I should go.

Discing, hiking/backpacking are my main activites. But other attractions, touristy or not, are welcome.

I sorta plan to stay mostly in WI/UP mostly bc covid. But if it were worth it, I have the time to go anywhere. I was initally going to also go to my Mom's in Tuscon, but I don't wanna go to AZ right now. And NM has quarantine rules, which is the state I like most down there, so probably going to bail on that.

I thought for a second about Yellowstone again, but...eh. Idk. I sort of want to do some of the Continental Divide Trail there, but it's a long ways for that. Might head that way and just stop at Badlands.

Any and all suggestions welcome. Anyone that lives in N WI or the UP tell me: what are the coolest things tourists DON'T see?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2020, 12:01 PM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 250
Niced 429 Times in 181 Posts

Porcupine Mt. is pretty righteous, both from a hiking standpoint as well as disc golf.

Powder Mill in Marquette.

North Manitou Island and Sleeping Bear Dunes on the far side of the lake from you are amazing backpacking.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-08-2020, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Hmmm...I hadn't considered mainland MI much. But I do still need to get to Flip City at some point, so that is a possibility. I went to Mackinaw a couple times as a little kid. Could be fun to go back

Sleeping Bear does look cool!
One of the few places I know I am stopping is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Superior in the UP.

Looking at google maps, I am wondering if there are trails all the way out to the end of the peninsula in Wilderness State Park, to get out to Waugoshance Point. That looks like a sweet day or two of backpacking.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 177
Niced 264 Times in 129 Posts

Stay in town and develop a practice strategy. Maybe start each day with an hour of putting then off to do some field work for about 2 hours then home for brunch. Then time for more putting before heading to say Capital Springs for a practice round then home for more putting. Good nights sleep then repeat. See if you can knock one stroke off your handicap in one month. Have fun on your vacation.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-09-2020, 12:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 525
Niced 1,547 Times in 737 Posts

Well if you have a month off, Highbridge seems like a no brainier at some point.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by air show View Post
Stay in town and develop a practice strategy. Maybe start each day with an hour of putting then off to do some field work for about 2 hours then home for brunch. Then time for more putting before heading to say Capital Springs for a practice round then home for more putting. Good nights sleep then repeat. See if you can knock one stroke off your handicap in one month. Have fun on your vacation.
Ha. I've ceased to care about my handicap or rating. I peaked last year for frolf, lol. Slowly worked up to like 952, then 2 bad cold weather events at the end of the year destroyed all that work. I don't think I'll play 10+ events in a year again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhaley View Post
Well if you have a month off, Highbridge seems like a no brainier at some point.
Tis the plan. Probably towards the end, because last year I was there about that time, and it was amazing with the fall colors.

My "plan" is just to follow the shoreline looking for hiking and disc. I am playing a private tourney around Zobel area Sat/Sun, then I am going to head to the East terminus of Ice Age Trail (I think it's in Door County). Then just follow the shoreline to HBH, basically. Might dip into mainland MI now that I've been thinking about it.

I can find all the courses online (besides unlisted private ones), and I can find most of the trails with google and alltrails and whatever. What I was hoping for this thread is to find a couple things I WON'T find on Google. Or somewhere that's actually really cool but doesn't look that way at a glance online.

Last edited by roggenb3; 09-09-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:01 AM
<------ [YOUR AD HERE]

Years Playing: 11.2
Niced 429 Times in 181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post
Hmmm...I hadn't considered mainland MI much. But I do still need to get to Flip City at some point, so that is a possibility. I went to Mackinaw a couple times as a little kid. Could be fun to go back

One of the few places I know I am stopping is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Superior in the UP.

Looking at google maps, I am wondering if there are trails all the way out to the end of the peninsula in Wilderness State Park, to get out to Waugoshance Point. That looks like a sweet day or two of backpacking.
Pictured Rocks is very beautiful, too. Unfortunately didn't get to spend much time there but the backpacking seemed really solid from the little I saw.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Pictured Rocks is very beautiful, too. Unfortunately didn't get to spend much time there but the backpacking seemed really solid from the little I saw.
North Country Scenic Trail (which runs from NY to ND and is like 4,200 miles long(!)) goes through it, right on the shore. Definitely doing a fair bit of NCST this trip. The parts I've done in WI were very nice.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Niced 4,100 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

Renting a kayak and checking out Pictured Rocks is about the best way to see the most natural beauty. Mrs. ru4por and I did a tour a couple years ago. Took a nice boat ride and actually launched the kayaks from the boat and back onto the boat.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Renting a kayak and checking out Pictured Rocks is about the best way to see the most natural beauty. Mrs. ru4por and I did a tour a couple years ago. Took a nice boat ride and actually launched the kayaks from the boat and back onto the boat.
I'm not planning to kayak, since I have never done it before, but anything is possible. I imagine the trail above is also pretty sweet.

The Apostle Island Maritime Cliffs State Natural Area in WI is probably similar to Pictured Rocks, if only like 1% the size of it - I walked the trail up top there and watched many, many kayakers go past below. Looks fun. But I'd want to be alone, not with a group or a guide.