#231  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:07 PM
Discraft Dad's Avatar
Discraft Dad Discraft Dad is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Courses Played: 18
Posts: 63
Niced 48 Times in 26 Posts
Default

The more I think about it the more I think that Flick is right when it comes to opening a can of worms.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:34 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,627
Niced 613 Times in 365 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
And adding to my post. . why did only Hokom give Paige that spot?
Cat decided to putt out as the camera was faceing Paige and Hokom deciding Paiges spot...just odd
On Facebook they posted. I believe the posts are on On the Box with Dixon Jowers page. Sarah was apparently the only one watching. Cat even kept apologizing profusely because she wasn't watching, saying she was very sorry she wasn't. Sarah was emphatic about giving the OB spot where she thought for sure it crossed over, without looking at what that lie gave Paige. I guess Paige could have tried to say differently if she wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
With new phone scoring, via UDisc or PDGA live scoring, I have adopted this process. We also have taken to encouraging this for our tournaments.

Someone keeps score electronically to turn into the TD. Someone on the card keeps a paper scorecard, for everyone, as a back up. All players are always encouraged to keep their own scorecard. Validate these before turning in your scores. A side note....agree to record players scores once. Too many times the electronic scorer and the paper scorer are not coordinated and player have to repeat their score. That can get annoying. It seems tedious, but I have seen this process solve many issues. I am not a fan of electronic scoring. As a player, I don't see a time where a paper back up will not be needed. I am not big of doubling the work. But, the work saving for the TD is enormous.
Here's another option. even easier, imho. On electronic scoring, anyone can just look at them yourself -- any time. You can open up your own phone on live scoring and see the mistake right then and there -- if you want to.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:55 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,063
Niced 4,155 Times in 1,466 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Here's another option. even easier, imho. On electronic scoring, anyone can just look at them yourself -- any time. You can open up your own phone on live scoring and see the mistake right then and there -- if you want to.
I don't own a cell phone. During the few tournaments we have had this year, both parks had spotty cell coverage and certain providers could not get a signal at all. All tournaments ended up having electronic failures that paper back up scorecards were needed and used.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 09-16-2020, 12:58 PM
DanJon DanJon is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,413
Niced 1,496 Times in 696 Posts
Default

I don't know, it didn't appear to me that PP even crossed inbounds at all.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM
araytx araytx is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 213
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,627
Niced 613 Times in 365 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I don't own a cell phone. During the few tournaments we have had this year, both parks had spotty cell coverage and certain providers could not get a signal at all. All tournaments ended up having electronic failures that paper back up scorecards were needed and used.
fair enough. It's definitely possible no one other than the scorekeeper of the group would.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 09-16-2020, 02:12 PM
ToddL ToddL is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 154
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,210
Niced 638 Times in 287 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Correct score plus 2 penalty strokes.

If the correct score is 60 but you turn in a 61, the final score is 62.
If the correct score is 60 but you turn in a 59, the final score is 62.
If the correct score is 60 but you turn in a 65, the final score is 62.

The general practice that players *should* follow is to keep their own score on a paper card or on their phone, and at the end of the round confirm each hole. "Starting on hole 1, I have 3, 2, 3, 4... Total of 60. Does that match?"
Anything less than that is risky.
I'm gonna quote myself and add to it.

This should be your process for every round at every tournament, no matter if the tournament is using electronic or paper scoring.
Checking your score at the end of the round is not merely about checking the math to make sure it was added up correctly. You should also check to see if the scorekeeper wrote down each individual hole correctly. Maybe the scorekeeper accidentally flipped the scores of two players. Maybe the scorekeeper didn't understand what you said because you had a mouthful of food. Maybe the scorekeeper thought he knew your score and wrote it down without asking.

If you keep your own score at all times and actually verify that each score is correct, then you'll be much safer against incorrect score penalties.

Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 09-16-2020, 03:25 PM
Orioles_Lefty Orioles_Lefty is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 492
Niced 718 Times in 276 Posts
Default

It has been golf and disc golf tradition that players keep score. I can see reasons for electronic scoring for keeping fans up to date (like CBS keeping score at a ball golf tournament) and I could see business relationship reasons for tournaments or even the Tour wanting to use electronic scoring interfaces. But, were I a pro player, I would want decisions about how official score is kept and reported to be ultimately made by players. And having a scorekeeper that keeps scores which players have to confirm seems a deviation from traditional procedures to me. I’m not sure if I would really care how score is kept (paper or digital) but I would care who is involved — were I am pro player. No one is volunteering to keep score for my group in intermediate tournaments, that’s for sure.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 09-16-2020, 03:47 PM
txmxer txmxer is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Texas
Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 400
Niced 321 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
I'm gonna quote myself and add to it.

This should be your process for every round at every tournament, no matter if the tournament is using electronic or paper scoring.
Checking your score at the end of the round is not merely about checking the math to make sure it was added up correctly. You should also check to see if the scorekeeper wrote down each individual hole correctly. Maybe the scorekeeper accidentally flipped the scores of two players. Maybe the scorekeeper didn't understand what you said because you had a mouthful of food. Maybe the scorekeeper thought he knew your score and wrote it down without asking.

If you keep your own score at all times and actually verify that each score is correct, then you'll be much safer against incorrect score penalties.
thanks for reposting that. I missed it before. Makes sense. A scoring error is 2 penalty strokes over the correct score, no matter the error made.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 09-16-2020, 10:32 PM
Casey 1988 Casey 1988 is offline
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pierre, South Dakota, USA
Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 6,973
Niced 1,161 Times in 966 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
My general recommendation is to curve/bulge the OB lines so that bridges are completely encompassed inside an OB area. It might not be feasible for every bridge, so if you have to run an OB line across a bridge, make it clear that part of the bridge is IB and part is OB (run a string across the top, paint a line across the top, etc).

If a bridge or part of a bridge is IB, then you also have to deal with discs coming to rest under the bridge. Make sure your players know that moving discs from the ground to the bridge is not legal. Either stick your leg under the bridge (the IB section), or treat it like a solid obstacle and move behind the bridge.

I prefer to just bypass the issues altogether and just put all bridges inside OB areas.
Yep or make the whole bridge above the OB area in play, one or the other needs to be done for tournaments.

Jackson park in Rapid City had for a PDGA tournament I was at the one bridge in play and below not. This made for odd stuff on a Open Pro card where the guy had to somehow play from a lower skinny piece of lower ledge where his disc landed hooked hanging when the new bridge was made there a bridge. That did not have rails, so he had to have a person on the card hold him up so he could play. Yes the TD said this is how the hole has to be played as any disc on the bridge in play and not play as OB or I will give a penalty for playing wrong so would end up a double penalty to that guy. The old little bridge that was the bridge before declared OB due to size and how it was a basic cross the stream thing too small to really throw from was gone/removed for the new better bridge was made that sucked for just the one player. I think after that year for tournaments if on the skinny under-hang part, the player was ob it was just the top deck of the bridge in play.
Reply With Quote
 

  #240  
Old 09-16-2020, 11:33 PM
BogeyNoMore's Avatar
BogeyNoMore BogeyNoMore is offline
* Ace No More *
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Walled Lake, MI
Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 331
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 11,405
Niced 4,644 Times in 2,031 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Correct score plus 2 penalty strokes.

If the correct score is 60 but you turn in a 61, the final score is 62.
If the correct score is 60 but you turn in a 59, the final score is 62.
If the correct score is 60 but you turn in a 65, the final score is 62.

The general practice that players *should* follow is to keep their own score on a paper card or on their phone, and at the end of the round confirm each hole. "Starting on hole 1, I have 3, 2, 3, 4... Total of 60. Does that match?"
Anything less than that is risky.

On the PDGA page for this event, Gurthie's official score for all three rounds is: 166 (tied for 5th with Dickerson @ $1350 each).
If not for that 2 stroke scoring penalty, GG would've been at 164, and tied for 3rd with Heimberg ...who received $1700.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DGPT: MVP Open at Maple Hill Aug 30-Sept 1 brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 127 09-10-2019 10:17 PM
DGPT: The MVP Open at Maple Hill brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 195 09-02-2018 10:47 PM
Maple Hill Open Eco81 Tournaments & Leagues 307 09-30-2015 08:56 AM
The Bridgeland Open - A Maple Hill Open Qualifier Johnny_Crunch Tournaments & Leagues 2 01-12-2015 10:24 AM
Maple Hill Open oddjob Tournaments & Leagues 255 07-11-2014 08:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.