Old 07-23-2020, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 396
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 206 Times in 113 Posts

Usually when I go to a classic course (Milo, Dela, Hornings Meadow, Harmony, Blue Lake, Hobbs) I'll play the longs to get the full effect. At Harmony I threw the longs while the 2 guys who showed me the course played the mids.
Depending on what course and how I feel, on my commonly-played courses it's mids and/or longs.
Don't often throw the shorts, but one league Saturday they had 3 ace pots topped at $200, so we all threw the shorts that day (yet only one ace ).
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)

Last edited by ohtobediscing; 07-23-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,163 Times in 606 Posts

If you live in Madison, you never switch no matter how good you get.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 171
Niced 349 Times in 165 Posts

Since so many of the courses out there don't stick to established standards for designing based on skill level; it's hard to give a one size fits all answer to the OP's question. As others have pointed out, short (or rec) tees can vary widely in challenge. Also course pars are also very inconsistent. Someone shooting x under or over par doesn't mean much to me if I'm not familiar with the course.

I'll echo pretty much everyone else in suggesting you try all of the tees (with the exception of any forced water carries that you can't consistently clear). Find a set of tees (or combination) that gives you a level of challenge that feels right.

Regular golf also has different tees for different skill levels. The culture there seems to be a bit different though. The shortest tees would suit many male players' games, but they don't want to play the ladies' tees. I'm glad dg seems to have mostly avoided that.

In my case, if all but one set of tees is natural with no signage, I'm likely to play the set with signs and an improved tee surface. If multiple sets of tees have been improved, I'll play whatever set gives the right challenge for the group that day. If my 5 year old is playing then we're probably not playing a super challenging layout.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 11:06 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 257 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
When I was young and had knees, I played pickup basketball in all sorts of venues around my city. Some had really tough competition, some didn't.

There was no sticking exclusively with one level, then graduating to another level and sticking exclusively there. I only left the lighter competition when it no longer became fun.

Now I play disc golf, on courses with an enormous range of challenge. Far more than the difference between short and long tees on a particular course.

If you approach things as stair-steps, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you're soliciting advice, you won't be happy with the advice from people who don't approach it that way.

But I'll pass along this personal note: you're probably better than I am, and I frequently enjoy playing big courses, from long tees. More throws.
First, if you were somehow getting a sense I was generally unhappy with/ungrateful for the advice being given, that wasn't my intended tone (other than that one thing). I was just once again noticing something I have previously noticed, which is a general cultural tenor in disc golf that's a little more "free form" than what I'm used to. In ball golf, it would be quite rare to shuttle between tees on a particular round (especially if you maintained a handicap, again something that doesn't seem to have a corollary in disc golf, absent playing sanctioned tournaments).

Everything you say about an absence of levels makes sense, but I note that you didn't even attempt to acknowledge the idea that you certainly would be happy to tell me that throwing a 15 speed driver was counterproductive.
To that end, I wonder about the idea of being enticed to throw shot after shot that are beyond my current capability, and then the inevitable retreat to "putter - putter - putter" on every hole, just because I can't hit the line I need to, if that makes sense.

Part of the issue on this particular course might be how different the rec and white tees are. They are really separate courses. 3380 ft / 54 vs. 5421 ft / 62, where there are 8 holes on the white course that the red course doesn't touch any element of, not tee pad, not fairway, not basket.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Also, if you ever decide to do any tournaments, I would be willing to bet they won’t be playing the short positions so you may just want to get used to playing the longer tees.
Generally speaking, I would hope that entrants into the rec level tournament would get to play rec level tees? I don't know, but it would be another strange seeming thing if that wasn't the case.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,010 Times in 1,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
First, if you were somehow getting a sense I was generally unhappy with/ungrateful for the advice being given, that wasn't my intended tone (other than that one thing). I was just once again noticing something I have previously noticed, which is a general cultural tenor in disc golf that's a little more "free form" than what I'm used to. In ball golf, it would be quite rare to shuttle between tees on a particular round (especially if you maintained a handicap, again something that doesn't seem to have a corollary in disc golf, absent playing sanctioned tournaments).

Everything you say about an absence of levels makes sense, but I note that you didn't even attempt to acknowledge the idea that you certainly would be happy to tell me that throwing a 15 speed driver was counterproductive.
To that end, I wonder about the idea of being enticed to throw shot after shot that are beyond my current capability, and then the inevitable retreat to "putter - putter - putter" on every hole, just because I can't hit the line I need to, if that makes sense.

Part of the issue on this particular course might be how different the rec and white tees are. They are really separate courses. 3380 ft / 54 vs. 5421 ft / 62, where there are 8 holes on the white course that the red course doesn't touch any element of, not tee pad, not fairway, not basket.
This is an important distinction. Often it depends on how the course was put in. Many times a course is put in with one set of pads. If a shorter set is then added, it often just becomes a short version of the original course. Usually if a second longer set is added, you will find more variation than length. This is, of course, not always true.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,109 Times in 1,997 Posts

Quote:
Actually, I probably wouldn't. I might say that if you want to develop your form, throw slower discs. But if you enjoy those high-speed discs, feel free---they probably won't fly as advertised, but they may be useful, if a different way. But, bags are big enough to include that overspeed driver and a midrange, and you'll get a chance to throw both. (If you're playing with only one discs, on the other hand.....)

I'm not sure a course that's too big/tough can affect your form. It might discourage you into quitting, but otherwise I don't know that it'll do lasting damage.

I play a 12-holer that's fairly forgiving, with a number of holes under 200'; and a course with almost every test imaginable, including 2 holes over 700'. I'm now an 850-rated player (probably lower, if I played more events), struggling to reach 240' (which is pretty obvious on a 250' water carry), and both courses suit me. The big course doesn't hurt my game; it just means I play the holes differently than the guys who throw 400'.

With no assumption that the same applies to anyone, but myself. To me, it's all fun.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:57 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
This is an important distinction. Often it depends on how the course was put in. Many times a course is put in with one set of pads. If a shorter set is then added, it often just becomes a short version of the original course. Usually if a second longer set is added, you will find more variation than length. This is, of course, not always true.
This particular course had lots of issues with the original design and it has gone through some things. The rec course now is sitting on top of the advanced course, but it doesn't play like it at all, with one advanced course hole frequently split into two rec course holes, but also multiple rec course holes simply being the same as the advanced course, so it is a mixed bag.

I played out there today from the whites and just went with a "scramble" format off the tee, basically throwing until I had something workable. I probably can score around par out there if I hit every tee shot correctly, but ... that's easier said than done. I mostly wasn't able to use my first tee shot. Felt a little wrung out by the end.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Niced 799 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Man, those ideas are so antithetical to how I normally approach things. I like some sort of baseline for comparison, if that makes any sense. Tough if you are just making up your own course.

Disc golf is just ... different. Round peg, meet square hole.
I've never seen a sanctioned disc golf tournament played from short tees. Even Rec divisions typically play a moderately challenging layout which, given you shot -5 within a few months of starting, means those short pads you're throwing from probably won't be used come tourney time. So if you want a baseline of comparison for what to expect once you play sanctioned rounds, then it is time to move back to the intermediate tees.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:35 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I've never seen a sanctioned disc golf tournament played from short tees. Even Rec divisions typically play a moderately challenging layout which, given you shot -5 within a few months of starting, means those short pads you're throwing from probably won't be used come tourney time. So if you want a baseline of comparison for what to expect once you play sanctioned rounds, then it is time to move back to the intermediate tees.
Well, there is another thing I just find bizarre, if true. Sorry disc golf, fix yo junk. If you refer to some players officially as Rec players and you officially have Rec tees ... call me crazy, those things should have something to do with one another.

But, I'm also not even sure it's true. When I was looking for video of Vally Springs DGC in Durham, they had a lead card with Schultz, Schweberger and Nathan Queen playing from the red tees back in 2015. That wasn't the entire tournament, but it was one day.