Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default i change putting technique like people change underwear!

putting by far is my biggest problem. i am happy with my drives, content with my midrange game, but i cant get comfortable with a putting style. i started with a staggered stance, and was doing great then i started getting worse and worse. i switched to a straddle putt and was nailing everything inside 20'. That fell apart as well. I own a basket and it seems that every time i change my style i improve for a while then get progressively worse. i know i need to stick to one style, the one thing that is consistent is I feel more accurate when i push forward towards the basket. It seems to line my release up better than anything else. my newest putt method is a modified loft push putt that i think is it. there is minimal wrist movement( which i a big factor for me). and it is more about weight shift(also good). but i feel that just like all the others it will start out great then fade away. anyone else really find it hard to stick to one putting style?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 28.2
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianetics View Post
... anyone else really find it hard to stick to one putting style?
Me!
Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 34
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I have changed putting styles exactly once. When I started playing, I bent my elbow during my putt. I was never consistent like that so one day I decided to keep my elbow straight and just snap my wrist as I brought my arm up. I couldn't exactly tell you what kind of style this is, but it works for me and I haven't changed it.

Also...Practice, practice, practice.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went through the exact same thing. Bottom line, your doing something wrong. I know that sounds like a smartass answer, but that is not how I intend it to be. To my knowledge, there is a not a power in the universe which can magically make you miss your putt ( other than chain outs, but lets debate this at a different time ). If you can not figure it out, then it is time to break down the different motions of your putt. If you feel somewhat lost during this process, take the time to understand if you push or spin putt, then google like its your job.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 24
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodarwin View Post
To my knowledge, there is a not a power in the universe which can magically make you miss your putt.
Wind.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 59
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

What putter are you useing? Finding a putter that feels good in your hand, and flies like you want it, is a big part of putting better.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 21
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

get a routine and stick to it before u putt anytime, thats helped me alot, my friends hassled me for a long time, when i wouldnt make alot of putts, then i took my time and stuck to routine and they would say i took to long to putt, untill i started chaining 75 footers for bird
Old 12-27-2010, 07:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts

I would say changing putting styles is bad if you are doing it just to do and not paying attention to everything that is going on. I would say changing putting styles is good if you are trying really trying them out and being analytical about what is happening. it had me think over a bunch of things to switch styles. I would say learning to spin putt helps with learning to push putt
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts

Darn time limit...

Also I would say that after trying several styles I'd rather see my style as "ever changing" in terms of slowly morphing over time into something I feel confident in and consistent with.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think I have actually changed my putt...more like I just alter my feet to a comfortable stance and squat to a stable base. Sometimes my right foot is in front...sometimes its stuck way out to the side...I think it is more a thing of finding a disc you are comfortable putting, practice and play with that disc (don't change putters mid round cause you missed a gimme on #7), and pay closer attention to your line and release.

Comfort eases it into the hole!!!