Old 01-25-2022, 03:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 45
Niced 60 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
But only if this was (GFSR) Good Fishing Spot Review.
A few years back while researching property to buy, I stumbled upon some fishing forums and took a look for info about where good fishing spots were in the area.

Come to find out that many anglers are very protective of the fishing holes and spots they find. Forum rules forbid posting to the board the exact spots/address of the “good fishing holes”. Mods would give a warning to those who ask and a ban to those who gave away their spots. It was only allowed through private messages.

It does make sense in a way. I do something similar at my private course. I require players to contact me to set up a tee time and for the correct address. I ask that they do not share or post my address on the internet. I don’t allow walk ups and purposely have fake addresses on some Dg course directories so people I don’t know don’t just randomly show up.

Not trying to be mean or lie about the address. Just trying to protect my fishing (DG) spot too
Sponsored Links

Last edited by donnyv; 01-25-2022 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-25-2022, 08:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,513 Times in 1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyv View Post
Not trying to be mean or lie about the address. Just trying to protect my fishing (DG) spot too
There's a guy that does this very thing near where I live and not one person I know of has an issue with that. The course has been in the ground for 4 or so years and it has yet to be posted on anything like DGCR or uDisc. I don't think there is anything mean about that at all and I don't blame you for doing so.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,277 Times in 2,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
There's a guy that does this very thing near where I live and not one person I know of has an issue with that. The course has been in the ground for 4 or so years and it has yet to be posted on anything like DGCR or uDisc. I don't think there is anything mean about that at all and I don't blame you for doing so.
There would always be threesome (bogey, shide and ru4por) looking to join you on a venture to such a course. We don't bite and our collective bark is minimal.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:40 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 397
Niced 9,263 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendragon View Post
Serious question, not rhetorical here. Is it ok to have a dissenter who provides a perspective outside the norm or do you think it's bad because it could dissuade people from playing a course that many others find very enjoyable?
I think is a good example of a dissenting review.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobil...mode=rev#89590

Reviewer's comments about what they don't like about the course support the rating (which is considerably lower than the average for that course).

But when you read the review, their rating makes sense given what the reviewer said. Maybe you share that perspective. Maybe you don't. Read and decide for yourself.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 344
Niced 967 Times in 446 Posts

it would be a good example if the majority of the cons listed were factually true, but they are not

Old 01-25-2022, 11:15 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 397
Niced 9,263 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
it would be a good example if the majority of the cons listed were factually true, but they are not
Point taken. Something we can't realize having never played the course.

I'm not gonna sift through the course photos, maps, and hole info page trying to fact check reviews for accuracy (not that it would provide what I'd need to call them out for B.S.)

At some point, we have to take what people write at face value.

Not saying TR's are the be all and end all, but I like to think we've earned the title "Trusted."

Niced: (2)

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-25-2022 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 344
Niced 967 Times in 446 Posts

i just try to keep it in mind myself when i'm reviewing. it's easy to remember more issues than may actually have been present when you're not digging the course vibe or not playing well or not having a good day or whatever. i try to spend a little extra time making sure i'm being as objective as i can be with my cons.

this reviewer seems to have played the course many times so it sounds like it's just not his preference. or maybe he always loses to his buddies here. either way, it's not full of long walks, crossing fairways, and dangerous tees. it does have a major road on one border of the park. you get close to it on a few holes but it's never in play. there are a couple internal park roads that border several holes and are OB. i could see how one might not like that aesthetically and just not dig the vibe. there are some filler holes but there are a number of cool holes with excellent elevation changes and specific lines required, a solid 3.75.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:48 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 65
Niced 55 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
i just try to keep it in mind myself when i'm reviewing. it's easy to remember more issues than may actually have been present when you're not digging the course vibe or not playing well or not having a good day or whatever. i try to spend a little extra time making sure i'm being as objective as i can be with my cons.

this reviewer seems to have played the course many times so it sounds like it's just not his preference. or maybe he always loses to his buddies here. either way, it's not full of long walks, crossing fairways, and dangerous tees. it does have a major road on one border of the park. you get close to it on a few holes but it's never in play. there are a couple internal park roads that border several holes and are OB. i could see how one might not like that aesthetically and just not dig the vibe. there are some filler holes but there are a number of cool holes with excellent elevation changes and specific lines required, a solid 3.75.
That's a great review, I'm grateful for your perspective! I've just had a different experience from my times playing it.
Edit: And mine is certainly the minority experience, hence all the backups here

Last edited by Shallows; 01-25-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 278
Niced 463 Times in 192 Posts

This raises the always interesting question of how much "I didn't enjoy it the one time I played there" should be considered in review and rating. And by the way, the opposite is also true...how much should "I shot lights out there" be considered...

Personally, I try to make sure I understand where i am on that spectrum before I give it the numerical rating. I usually work that out by writing my review...and pulling out comments that really just reflect it -or leave them in, with some justification that others might feel the same way (long walks and blind holes are good example). Then I circle back to the rating, and make sure it's in synch with the guts of my review...

As always though, for me the review far outweighs the rating.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,719 Times in 771 Posts

It gets tricky for me because disc golf seems to have what I feel is a bit of a masochist culture. We'll have a nice sunny 50 degree winter day and maybe 1 person will post on the local group that they are looking to play. But then we have a day where it is 35 degree day with 2 inches of rain and 5 people will post up looking to play rounds at the poorest draining course in the area. And you play with a group of sub 800 rated people that throw 250 feet and they insist on playing the 9000 foot layout instead of the 6000 foot layout where they'll be lucky to play bogey golf.

I'm not like that. So I'll play some of the courses that are universally loved, and as a MA3'ish player, I don't enjoy playing them at all. So that is challenging for me to rate.