Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-26-2022, 08:05 AM
The Shide's Avatar
The Shide The Shide is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 45
Courses Played: 320
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 715
Niced 374 Times in 194 Posts
Default

This is an interesting question. And as already said above, would have been better to include FPO.
It shouldn't be surprising to see any of the European MPO players make a lead card. But it will, for most. But not those who are paying attention to international DG. And at some point during the season, I do expect to see Europeans on lead cards.

Oh, side bar, sorry. At this point, do we consider Simon a European player still, or an American? Or Canadian (which, technically is in North America...)?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-26-2022, 08:50 AM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,325
Niced 2,832 Times in 1,542 Posts
Default

It will be fun to see if Linus can play at his rating in the US. . he is rated the same as Conrad, Gibson and Leiviska.

But is have to be hard to play on a course for the first time and try to beat players that have played that course hundreds of times.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-26-2022, 12:58 PM
spinachd spinachd is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 612 Wharf Avenue
Courses Played: 135
Posts: 783
Niced 123 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
It will be fun to see if Linus can play at his rating in the US. . he is rated the same as Conrad, Gibson and Leiviska.

But is have to be hard to play on a course for the first time and try to beat players that have played that course hundreds of times.
Yes I think they have some serious disadvantages coming from the cold to the unfamiliar. I guess they typically go to Spain this time of year but the courses are short.

Linus definitely seems to be all-in. He is registered for everything. Dude is only 22. I hope he takes one down.

Regarding FPO, I think a better question is will the 950ish US players be making lead cards. Things are about to get a lot tougher.

This is definitely going to be the most interesting season ever for pro DG spectating. I’m way too interested already.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-26-2022, 01:06 PM
Jolt Jolt is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,325
Niced 2,832 Times in 1,542 Posts
Default

Linus has played 12 tournaments in 2020-2021 and won 9 of them and never been out of the top 3

So i wonder what that make to him mentaly when he now have to play the best and even a top 10 will be hard to reach
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-26-2022, 01:19 PM
DanJon DanJon is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,728
Niced 1,997 Times in 882 Posts
Default

I could see Linus or Seppo making lead card.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-26-2022, 02:46 PM
flatflip's Avatar
flatflip flatflip is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tejas
Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 419
Niced 321 Times in 179 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
This is an interesting question. And as already said above, would have been better to include FPO.
It shouldn't be surprising to see any of the European MPO players make a lead card. But it will, for most. But not those who are paying attention to international DG. And at some point during the season, I do expect to see Europeans on lead cards.

Oh, side bar, sorry. At this point, do we consider Simon a European player still, or an American? Or Canadian (which, technically is in North America...)?
Yeah I don't think anyone doubts whether there will be Euro reps on the lead cards in FPO.

Simon definitely still counts but he's not playing until Texas States. Probably b/c there's a bebe on the way (February if I remember correctly -- buckle up, big guy!).

There aren't a ton of high level players coming early. Linus and Seppo could definitely be competitive (it's not clear if Seppo is registered for anything past LVC). Looking past Waco, there's a Finnish crew with some talent headed over. I can see any of Mäkelä, Lehtinen, or current Euro champ Anttila making noise at the April tourneys. Will be fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-26-2022, 08:15 PM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,996
Niced 1,808 Times in 920 Posts
Default

For what it’s worth, Eric Oakley finished ahead of every European at the 2019 Tyyni in Finland, including most of the players mentioned in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-26-2022, 09:44 PM
The Shide's Avatar
The Shide The Shide is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Years Playing: 45
Courses Played: 320
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 715
Niced 374 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
For what it’s worth, Eric Oakley finished ahead of every European at the 2019 Tyyni in Finland, including most of the players mentioned in this thread.
And now they've had 3 years to improve their games.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-27-2022, 12:29 AM
ray1970's Avatar
ray1970 ray1970 is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,996
Niced 1,808 Times in 920 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shide View Post
And now they've had 3 years to improve their games.

That is definitely true. I think Linus was probably about 19 years old in the tournament I mentioned and only fell about six or seven strokes short of beating Eagle. Now he has a couple of years more experience. I guess we’ll all see how he does soon.
Reply With Quote
 

  #30  
Old 01-27-2022, 02:18 AM
Nale72 Nale72 is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Years Playing: 1.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 102
Niced 115 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
That is definitely true. I think Linus was probably about 19 years old in the tournament I mentioned and only fell about six or seven strokes short of beating Eagle. Now he has a couple of years more experience. I guess we’ll all see how he does soon.
Yes we'll see and it's hard to tell since the Europeans have been pretty isolated for a couple of years. But it didn't stop Kristin Tattar of having a pretty good run in the US last year if that could be any indication.

For what it's worth, Linus finished 14 strokes in front of Simon Lizotte (17 ahead of Silver Lätt, 19 ahead of Seppo Paju and 22 ahead of Albert Tamm) at the Europeans in August -21.

The only tournament in 2021 he played against someone from the US was in the wooded 3 round A-tier Heatland Open in Sweden that he won, 9 strokes ahead of Philo (4th).

However, I'm not expecting Linus to be at his best in the first tournaments 2022 just switching from Innova to L64. But I would certainly not be surprised to see him on a lead card later this year and/or finishing at least top 10 in a pro tour event in 2022.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Euro Tour # 5 Player interviews rhatton1 General Disc Golf Chat 0 03-28-2019 03:12 AM
Ideal Final Round Lead Card northwestnoodler General Disc Golf Chat 31 04-26-2015 02:33 PM
2013 Glass Blown Open lead card footage cooldaddyslickbreeze Tournaments & Leagues 1 05-31-2013 05:34 PM
Nikko's backpack???- Euro Tour TLA 2013 Titan037 Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags 19 05-29-2013 08:50 PM
2012 Fly Ink Open Final Round Open Lead Card greg_lange Tournaments & Leagues 8 11-21-2012 08:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.