Old 03-18-2018, 02:15 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 18.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,305 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBrother2001 View Post
Youtube is great for finding videos to help with form. Back when I first started you had to ask around the course for tips. Now with the wonders of the internet you can find great info and visuals on youtube for help.
Same for me, I still can't throw a forehand well but then I can drive some with the Non Dominate Hand so sometimes when I do not want to do or am struggling with even a crappy forehand I will do that NDH throw with a disc, never using my most overstable disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2018, 02:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,971 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
I'm lazy and haven't read everything you guys are saying or referencing about pronation/wrist action. But I do think it can be a bit of a distractor. Wrist flexion is far more important than wrist pronation (or supination). Get that motion down, with the weight shift, and I think a 330'-350' forehand is very reasonable, even from a one step run up.

Maybe it's just me, but one of the main things I've learned with grip is to get the disc such in your hand so that you're engaging your wrist flexors. Lately, I've been happily giving up 30' of distance to gain a lot of consistency by doing a little less of this, (yeah I'm not proud of that one) and getting a smoother motion that also happens to be better for one's body.

For what it's worth, I'm not a guy who's hoping to go pro or even dominate local tournaments. But I do hope I can keep throwing both forehands and backhands for a long time, and have fun on even the most challenging courses. By the way, Nate Sexton's recent forehand video from Infinite is pretty awesome.

I'll also add: I think the pronation and/or wrist roll thing gets a lot of attention because it's a very common, easy-to-make mistake. So I believe many of us have been helped by the "palm to the sky" tip.
You might want to read this article linked below. You are extending the elbow too late as described in it and your shoulders don't have much space to follow through for the arm. My shoulders rotate a good 60 degrees further or so in the follow through compared to you so my arm has a lot more space to continue through and decelerate, your shoulders almost stop rotating right after release so the arm doesn't have much space or time to decelerate and stops more sudden. Your arm and disc are also changing plane/scooping from anhyzer/downward and releasing nose up - looks like classic supinating the nose up instead of throwing nose down on a hyzer swing plane. This was your Katana throw, I'm throwing a TL. You can see how flat I keep the disc on plane because the arm supinates in the backswing and it lags back into more supination and then at release you can see my arm has pronated with the nose down and zero wobble.

https://www.topvelocity.net/pronatio...enting-injury/

Pronation:
Old 03-18-2018, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 241
Niced 1,146 Times in 705 Posts

I knew I shouldn't have linked that video. I haven't filmed my forehand since then but it was 2 years ago within a year of getting back into disc golf. I was referencing it as what I try not to do now. It looks painful to me now, though I wouldn't have described it as eloquently as you. I think based on your feedback a while ago, one of the main things I've changed is keeping the disc at the same angle throughout the whole throw.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 409 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
By the way, Nate Sexton's recent forehand video from Infinite is pretty awesome.
I noticed he recommends putting disc into webbing of your hand. (In fact, he said it's one of two things of importance in grip, other being fingers on rim). Here is link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6Wutvn4Mg&t
And so does Ricky in another clinic I watched. When more than one very good FHer recommends this, I figure it's worth considering. Do the rest of you do this? I do not, at present.

Also very surprised he recommended the high reach back. To be fair, it looks like he does do this in his throw (video 5 years ago but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAvReICrgc). For most AMs though, I see this advice unintentionally creating a lot of nose up FH chuckers.

Last edited by deyo7; 03-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 949 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Also very surprised he recommended the high reach back. To be fair, it looks like he does do this in his throw (video 5 years ago but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAvReICrgc). For most AMs though, I see this advice unintentionally creating a lot of nose up FH chuckers.
But when he talks in the clinic about getting into the "hit of the throw" at 3:30 he is actually coming in on a level plane because he leans over. Also, you can see it in the clip above at about 16 seconds.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 409 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
But when he talks in the clinic about getting into the "hit of the throw" at 3:30 he is actually coming in on a level plane because he leans over. Also, you can see it in the clip above at about 16 seconds.
Right, I saw that too but just think most will take the advice and throw high to low or high to low to high and, therefore, throw either nose up or inconsistently and off plane.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 949 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Right, I saw that too but just think most will take the advice and throw high to low or high to low to high and, therefore, throw either nose up or inconsistently and off plane.
With a swooping motion. You are probably right.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-21-2018, 02:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,971 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote:
I noticed he recommends putting disc into webbing of your hand. (In fact, he said it's one of two things of importance in grip, other being fingers on rim). Here is link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ6Wutvn4Mg&t
And so does Ricky in another clinic I watched. When more than one very good FHer recommends this, I figure it's worth considering. Do the rest of you do this? I do not, at present.
Hard to tell what he is really saying or showing there with the webbing, his fingers are placed like I've never seen anyone else, looks a weird claw grip. I don't really consider my disc to be in my webbing, but the thumb is trapping the disc down like Dave D says in vid below. The wing of the disc rests right into the crease on my thumb joint. I don't want to have the disc so deep/back that the rim bottom rests behind the big index knuckle which would cause a lot of drag and wobble coming out.
https://i.imgur.com/8kGyrkp.png

Quote:
Yep, he does it and works for him because he leans his upper body so far over which keeps it more level relative to him.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 123 Times in 50 Posts

Check out this video discussing forehand form/technique and exercise:
https://youtu.be/v4b-kxcE8UE

Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 729 Times in 510 Posts

You're really promoting that video huh?