Old 01-25-2022, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,971 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malawi View Post
Alright but you still have disc infront of the index knuckle and not behind it right tucked into the web? Doesnt that make a shorter lever since the middle finger isnt on the front side of the disc as if you have the disc deeper in the hand? Im trying to grip it like you do in the picture but its hard to get my pinky and ring finger below the rim so disc is resting on them rather then the top knuckle on ring finger.

My second question was more like what height to swing back on versa to release. You showed on a pic to hold the disc lower in backswing and release it higher rather then go from having it high above elbow to swing it and release lower.
Correct still in front of the knuckle. It's not a shorter lever, but it's less angle/cock - but I also feel much less leverage and control, so it would be counter productive at least for me.

I think you are referring to this pic. It's more power zone/contact point to release, rather than top of backswing.

Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Par Member

Niced 193 Times in 123 Posts

This is blowing my mind. I've always put the disc firmly all the way into the webbing and behind the first finger knuckle. I got to a point where I was actually pinching between my thumb and first knuckle pretty hard to get clean releases. I'm gonna have to try putting it in front like those pics SW posted a few pages back.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:23 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Just tried that grip out, sadly it didnt work for me. But I guess im using a wrong fh technique relying alot of pushing the disc with my fingers then let it rip out correctly.

I just cant make forehand drives to work. 250 feet sure 300 if everything clicks. Tho im pretty decent aiming tight gaps and upshots.

Can only throw with my elbow already in place forward of the shoulder. Trying to drive my elbow forward allways hurts and usually then aiming is way off.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 191 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastchancer88 View Post
This is blowing my mind. I've always put the disc firmly all the way into the webbing and behind the first finger knuckle. I got to a point where I was actually pinching between my thumb and first knuckle pretty hard to get clean releases. I'm gonna have to try putting it in front like those pics SW posted a few pages back.
Same for me man. Im so glad this was bumped. The videos always seemed to emphasize jamming the disc into the skin between thumb and index and the result for me meant the bottom of the wing rested on the the end of my index metacarpal rather then in the joint of connecting the metacarpal to phalanges.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,297 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
The top left picture shows the disc isn't pushed back into the webbing of the thumb. But the bottom left picture shows the disc in the webbing...not pushed back hard as there is no 'bunching' of the webbing, but it still looks like it is resting in the webbing.

Which is correct? The disc not in the webbing, but having the edge on the last joint of the first finger? Or the disc in the webbing, but not forced back into it?

While I'm waiting for some code to finish running, I'm sitting at my desk placing a disc into and out of my hand to try the grip and I want to get it right.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,971 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
The top left picture shows the disc isn't pushed back into the webbing of the thumb. But the bottom left picture shows the disc in the webbing...not pushed back hard as there is no 'bunching' of the webbing, but it still looks like it is resting in the webbing.

Which is correct? The disc not in the webbing, but having the edge on the last joint of the first finger? Or the disc in the webbing, but not forced back into it?

While I'm waiting for some code to finish running, I'm sitting at my desk placing a disc into and out of my hand to try the grip and I want to get it right.
The disc is in the same position in all 4, I didn't move anything between photos other than the camera/hand angle, so I think you are just seeing some parallax.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 949 Times in 533 Posts

I thought this was a good video with Dave explaining the pivot and pop. Go to 2:16 and he relates it to the forehand.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-28-2022, 11:02 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 385 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I don't really consider my disc to be in my webbing, but the thumb is trapping the disc down like Dave D says in vid below. The wing of the disc rests right into the crease on my thumb joint. I don't want to have the disc so deep/back that the rim bottom rests behind the big index knuckle which would cause a lot of drag and wobble coming out.
https://i.imgur.com/8kGyrkp.png
I added a FH upshot exercise where I pick up any errant drives from my BH practice and throw them to place I intend to throw from next. I'm going slow due to an old shoulder injury. I'd spent the last couple weeks getting my weight forward into the FH plant and having the elbow cocked beforehand, which was helping me get up to ~200' without too much effort. But I was still torquing them a bit and my wrist leverage felt crappy.

I revisited this thread and after realizing I still had the disc a bit behind my index knuckle, I adopted the SW22 grip above and my OAT went dramatically down, and I was getting much better flights with less effort out of my neutral mids. Instant win in my case!

Old 01-28-2022, 01:17 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 37 Times in 26 Posts

I think it heavily depends on the two fingers on the under side how much it jams into the webbing. "Power grips" were there is some degree of bending the disc wont sit as far into the webbing.

For myself I have a two finger semi stacked with most of the pads against the plate and mostly side of the finger against the rim were I need the disc maybe not jammed but at least tucked far back in to get a good pivot for the release.

At 100-120m golf lines I dont see much point in chasing a power grip.

So maybe a suggestion is to try a different variant with the fingers on the rim?

Old 01-31-2022, 01:56 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

I wish there was just a change in the grip to get to next level in my forehand form but starting to understand its probably something alot bigger.

I dont feel that slingshot effect u get in a backhand throw, it feels like i push the disc forward perhaps not all the way from the swingback but atleast the last part. Disc feels really heavy, and i push it with the wrist and my 2 fingers from the 2 finger stacked grip and it mostly dont wobble.

There was 1 throw last summer i felt like it actully snapped/ripped out from the hand, was a diffrent feeling and i dont know how i did it. I guess thats the correct way.

When you guys say that the arm just follows the the hips/stop of the momentum. Is there important to time in the swingback?when should you do it?

I mostly dont swing it back just like reach out with the arm a bit back. In a bh throw i reach out pretty late and mostly get the slingshot effect. The more i try throw with my hips in a forehand the worse it gets, ending up release to late or getting alot of oat.