Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Form Analysis/Critique

Old 01-10-2021, 01:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,971 Times in 4,021 Posts

Need to turn your feet/hips further back in the setup. Your right leg is having to swing out and around your left leg, instead of swinging straight thru inside unimpeded by the left leg.

Swing or kick back front leg, like a pitcher windup on rear leg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=23s

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-10-2021, 10:06 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 46 Times in 40 Posts

Alright, I can do that. I have plenty of videos of me doing it that way instead of the lazier way that I'm doing in the past few videos so I know I can fix that. I'll try to make sure I keep the integrity of the throw and everything I've tried to fix so far while doing the leg swing.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Bogey Member

Alright, today I feel like I made some progress without making much progress if that makes sense. The first throw in this video I did several things poorly but I felt a different sort of weight shift. It felt like before this throw I had been moving my weight forward over my toes and then in this throw, it was more like my weight was moving forward balanced between my back and front legs/feet. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here or if I should be focusing on making sure my off-arm and back foot are perfect before I focus on this different weight shift I'm feeling.

Also, I didn't feel like I was swinging my front leg back perfectly either, but I definitely started my practice session focusing on that.

https://youtu.be/gYjMjsSlYYU

Also, I measured the speed of my forehand today, took a few tries but I got to 60 mph, 3 mph faster than my previous best. I still can't believe it was something so simple that helped so much. Thanks again for that.

Old 01-12-2021, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

IDK how you can practice in mud and not ideal. It does look a little better, but you need better balance and control of your left arm and instep of the rear foot on the ground to load and unload. Your rear foot is spinning out with the toes going up in the air.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:00 AM
Bogey Member

In the other videos I had been doing I was practicing on the grass next to the mud, unfortunately if I didn't stop I'd have made that grassy section a mud pile as well. I might have to go out to a field at my local course next time, but the net makes things so convenient.

I had been working on the swim move a decent amount a little while before I started posting on this forum. I'm not too worried about my ability to do the swim move or use my off-arm better in general but I need to actually start doing it correctly and build the muscle memory so I'll be sure to work on it more.

As for my rear foot spinning out, that seems to be what I have the most trouble with. If I try to get my weight to go through my back hip before I plant (I don't know how else to describe the feeling) then I find trouble staying balanced and not letting my back foot lift up. If I try to keep my rear foot on the ground then it's hard for me to move my weight correctly(?) without totally falling over. That being said, I'm going to keep trying as best I can.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Stop starting from the Hershyzer in the already back position. Start from the hit/address/finish position and work your way back. You should be able to step back from the hit into the Hershyzer/x-step backswing if you wanted to, but I would keep it short so the front foot only strides a couple inches like a batter and you can stay more easily balanced and leveraged inside the rear foot/leg.

There are several variations of the Swim Move, one is keeping your rear hand on your thigh instead of waving it around like you don't care about your balance or using it to counter-balance being out of balance condition.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134167

How to Step into your Throw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4lTAX3sfd4#t=9m

Old 01-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Bogey Member

Today I focused on trying not to let my back foot spin out, my off-arm, where my weight is going as I move into the plant, and I fixed where I start my hershyzer throw from.

I would say that at times I did my off-arm very well and at times I did it poorly, especially those times where I was focused on other parts of the throw. The back foot thing I found hard to figure out when I did it correctly or not, which makes me think perhaps I never ended up doing it correctly. I think I'm getting a better idea of where my weight should be as I shift, though I can tell I don't do it very efficiently.

https://youtu.be/frFwZ0dciTA

My first throw I throw it off right of my line but otherwise, the throw felt good. 350'
My second throw was similar to the first throw but I was able to get it on line 350'
My third throw I tried a run-up and although I messed up quite a bit I think this was my most powerful run-up throw of the day. I messed up my back foot pretty bad and I shanked it off high and right, but I was still able to throw 380' with a very nose up throw.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Rear arm looks a lot better. Rear foot looks better, but looks like you are trying to keep both your knees awkwardly bent and twisting them, I don't know if you are naturally pigeon toed? Even still you need to get your knees moving/extending back and forth more underneath you in alignment with the ankles and hips like walking or running or skating or a shifty running back changing directions.

Stand up in the setup and let your legs hang down as you shift/rock a little back and forth. Only one knee should bend at a time, not both knees bending together in setup / don't crouch, one bends while the other extends to rotate your pelvis while remaining tall.

If you had camera side view I think you would see your front knee landing too far behind your foot and hip more over the knee and your knee continually leaking forward with the swing instead of landing in more neutral joint alignment and more suddenly bracing up.

I think it will help to get you moving in different directions and reversing directions back and forth perpetually.

I think post 2 in E-walk with the walk back should really help with rotational force:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=136487

Skating laterally for horizontal force:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=138273

Stepping down landing with the leg hanging from hip in neutral alignment for vertical force:

Old 01-14-2021, 03:32 PM
Bogey Member

No, not naturally pigeon-toed, the knee thing probably just came from my misguided attempts at trying anything and everything to throw better. I think it should be fairly simple to fix, I don't think it's something that I've always done 100% of the time or anything like that. I love the elephant walk, I use it all the time when I'm too close to the rough to get a normal run-up or when I have a severe uphill lie. I've also done the Disc Golf Strong warmup that includes the jumping back and forth before as well. I'll focus on keeping the alignment of my legs and hips better during my next form-work session. Hopefully, it will be as easy as I think it could be.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:16 PM
Banned

Niced 508 Times in 362 Posts

Delay and/or slow down your turn back. I can see the disc moving rearward beyond your left foot. Then your shoulders end up coming through too early as the disc which is causing loss of power. Your right heel should be hitting the ground as the disc is extended on the reach back. Your disc is moving pretty far forward before you hit the right heel, which would be essentially where the power should start from.

I think the early turn back is also related to your head moving towards the target on the forward swing. If you delayed and or slowed down the turn your head would be in a more forward position already so you can then just rotate and fire. So it's not about keeping your head back, it's simply timing.

Your left foot relative to your right foot should be probably a few inches back (behind you) as well.

Niced: (2)