Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 701
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Currently bagging only 1 Glo Mini Wizard
Discin waaaayyyyy down adventures
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Mushin No Shin; 12-31-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 36 Times in 23 Posts

Goodbye Volts and Valks, the time for discing down has come. I got a 164 DX Leopard3 for Christmas, and it's gonna be my main driver for a few months. I'm keeping my Predator for utility shots and big wind, and one Volt for loose-your-disc-on-the-right holes.

I played my first round of the year with this driver setup, and I can already tell that I should've done this long ago. The Leopard3 is revealing wrist-rolling issues that were masked by the Volts' stability and the Valks' fade.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 53 Times in 46 Posts

I'm going to try a discing down adventure of my own. I don't know exactly what happened, but I've definitely lost some of my mojo off the tee. My drives have been pretty terrible lately, and this was after a few months of pretty consistent play with solid (for me) distance. There is a pitch and putt course where I work, so I will be playing lunch rounds with nothing but this in the good ol' nut sac:

Protege Clutch x2 (One for putts, one for upshots and drives)
Icon Clutch (Stable/OS putter drives)
Z Comet (Workhorse)
Pinnacle Ghost (Wind)

I hope to work on slowing things down and figure out why I've been worse than usual lately...
Old 01-13-2018, 12:41 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've been working with my Fuse to tighten up my form and reduce the amount of OAT in my throw. It seems like any time I throw a driver I try to throw it harder and faster, which causes me to tense up my muscles too much and do goofy things, so this has been good for me to work with mids a little more. At the very least, I can now throw understable discs a lot harder without turning them into the ground, which is good progress for me.

The problem I think I'm having now though is that, even if I'm getting my release angles and OAT fixed up with my Fuse practice, I don't know of a disc that will diagnose the nose-up problems that (I think) I have. It seems like my Fuse actually flies very well on a nose-up throw so long as I don't torque it over to the right, so it's fixing one bad habit while encouraging another bad habit. Are there any discs in the 3-6 speed range that are exceptionally sensitive to nose angle which I can use to practice? Please no Comet recommendations. I can't handle the rim and hand-feel on that disc.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 146
Niced 581 Times in 325 Posts

I liked to use a slow FW driver for this, like Gazelle, Cyclone, Cheetah, Leopard, JLS, etc. A DX Teebird or Eagle will work well too. Squall, Stalker, and Kaxe Z would probably work really well too. If you like Trilogy, the Seer is a fun understable driver (I like max weight Opto Fuses and I find Seers to be a little touchier though).

The trick is not speeding yourself up too fast, too soon when you go up to drivers. If you're like me, you tend to psyche yourself subconsciously with a driver thinking, "I've got to throw this hard." You can throw your driver just as smoothly and methodically as your Fuse and if the driver isn't going quite fast enough it's easier to power up a little and stay clean than it is to power down from a sloppy throw first, IMO.

Niced: (3)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 743 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight View Post
I've been working with my Fuse to tighten up my form and reduce the amount of OAT in my throw. It seems like any time I throw a driver I try to throw it harder and faster, which causes me to tense up my muscles too much and do goofy things, so this has been good for me to work with mids a little more. At the very least, I can now throw understable discs a lot harder without turning them into the ground, which is good progress for me.

The problem I think I'm having now though is that, even if I'm getting my release angles and OAT fixed up with my Fuse practice, I don't know of a disc that will diagnose the nose-up problems that (I think) I have. It seems like my Fuse actually flies very well on a nose-up throw so long as I don't torque it over to the right, so it's fixing one bad habit while encouraging another bad habit. Are there any discs in the 3-6 speed range that are exceptionally sensitive to nose angle which I can use to practice? Please no Comet recommendations. I can't handle the rim and hand-feel on that disc.
I would go up to a speed 7ish disc, or a Leo which is speed 6. Reason being you want something that has a sharper fairway-style rim profile, if it is too blunt like a midrange then they will tolerate nose up throws. Ideally I would choose something like 7/5/-1/1...like say a Discmania S-FD. This is because it is a sharp enough nose to need to be thrown nose down to fly right, and when it is thrown nose down it will give you some noticeable turn. That right there will show you: If it's nose up then it will go straight, float, and fade in a sweeping way. If it's nose down it will push forward, drift right, then drift left at the end. Also it is slow enough and glidey enough that you really don't need to throw it all that hard or think of having to throw it hard, to get it to fly right.

However if you are throwing under 250' or so, then I'd choose a DX Leo instead. That way it will show you more turn and be more responsive to your power level.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 3
Niced 80 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I would go up to a speed 7ish disc, or a Leo which is speed 6. Reason being you want something that has a sharper fairway-style rim profile, if it is too blunt like a midrange then they will tolerate nose up throws.
Fuse is a speed 6 disc as well, but has a very blunt profile.
I'd suggest a River. When I have nose angle release issues the river seems to highlight it most of all. I throw mainly Teebird, FD, River as my drivers. I've not seen consistency in PLH in plastic types to find one more understable than another.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 PM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Axiom inspire or insanity are candidates also IMO
Old 01-14-2018, 01:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 59 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight View Post
Are there any discs in the 3-6 speed range that are exceptionally sensitive to nose angle which I can use to practice? Please no Comet recommendations. I can't handle the rim and hand-feel on that disc.
I know a Mako is reasonably sensitive to nose issues. I know when I get the nose up on a throw with one it won't fly far and will stall (I practice stall shots with it). When the nose is down, it'll carry so much farther than when thrown flat, too. It makes for a wonderful practice disc, being stable-neutral and holding the release angles well and being reasonably sensitive to nose angles.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 28 Times in 21 Posts

Everything Bro Dave said... Opto fuse good idea if you don't have one.. What about the Tursas it is similiar to a Comet but feels better in hand might be a little understable I'm not a Fuse guy.. And the Buzzz it's a little beefy but a fairly fast mid if nose up is a problem it will show up.. Finally how about an MVP product when it comes to nose up they tend to punish you the Tangent or Axis is something that would take as much clean power as you can give it.