#51  
Old 11-02-2018, 07:21 PM
discgman discgman is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Carmichael, ca
Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 260
Niced 10 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj20300 View Post
Mostly just makes me laugh with all the silly speculation and things people say. Not really worried about who is on what team and such. Just makes for an entertaining time for me
So the McBanger is a real possibilty?? Lol
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11-02-2018, 09:24 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 15,936
Niced 978 Times in 503 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgman View Post
So the McBanger is a real possibilty?? Lol
Let's be real here. It would be better as the MJanger.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,479
Niced 473 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I see your point about the difference in people assuming the discs would stop being made and Innova only saying he was leaving.

But as you said, it would hurt their brand. There's absolutely no chance at this point he is on Innova next year.
My theory is this....

a) He has legally left Innova incase anyone wants to "view the books".
b) They announce it on Halloween to cement the fact for later, it was a "trick".
c) An announcement of some kind is coming in the near future that he has re-signed with Innova but in a larger capacity, he is not sponsored and can't be sponsored since he is now a part owner, partner, etc, of the company.

I just don't see him in any capacity...throwing Discraft, "Trilogy", etc. There's not enough money in disc golf to give anyone the money being speculated, if there was, other worth while pros would be getting similar large sized deals (in the past) and wouldn't have to peddle plastic to make ends meet...imop.

We'll see.....we'll see.....
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 11-03-2018, 07:26 AM
DiscJunkie's Avatar
DiscJunkie DiscJunkie is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,337
Niced 315 Times in 131 Posts
Default

OK, I was one who publicly stated that no way is PM leaving Innova.
However, I also said that if Paul was going to Discraft, it was for business reasons.
Discraft has been trying to improve their brand and Paul is trying to build his own brand.
Further (and total) speculation:
Paul is joining Discraft because they are offering him something that Innova is unwilling to give him.
Innova arguably needs no help with their brand, but Discraft sees the benefit of building on Paul's brand.
Further (and total) speculation:
Discraft releases a line of McBeth discs, clothing, baskets, bags, carts, design sevices, etc.
They give him access to land to build some signature courses.
I'm not sure they're giving him part ownership, but it's possible.
But my (total) speculation is that they'll enable him to build his brand somehow.
Innova was not going to "partner" with McBeth, but Discraft is a smaller, leaner company and more able to structure and benefit from said partnership.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 11-03-2018, 08:53 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,756
Niced 2,075 Times in 887 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
My theory is this....

a) He has legally left Innova incase anyone wants to "view the books".
b) They announce it on Halloween to cement the fact for later, it was a "trick".
c) An announcement of some kind is coming in the near future that he has re-signed with Innova but in a larger capacity, he is not sponsored and can't be sponsored since he is now a part owner, partner, etc, of the company.

I just don't see him in any capacity...throwing Discraft, "Trilogy", etc. There's not enough money in disc golf to give anyone the money being speculated, if there was, other worth while pros would be getting similar large sized deals (in the past) and wouldn't have to peddle plastic to make ends meet...imop.

We'll see.....we'll see.....
If he's taking on an ownership role, or a creating his own brand and partnering with Innova to produce the discs, why on earth would he need to publicly cut ties as a sponsored player to facilitate it? The only way that makes sense is if he intends to shop around for a partner and then comes back to Innova at a later time. But if the plan all along is for him to return to Innova, this whole thing of announcing he's no longer sponsored is entirely unnecessary. And potentially harmful to his "brand" going forward.

Occum's Razor, as always, is the best way to approach this. He got a better offer from someone else. Period. He's done with Innova and he's moving on.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 11-03-2018, 09:21 AM
DiscFifty DiscFifty is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tx
Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,479
Niced 473 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If he's taking on an ownership role, or a creating his own brand and partnering with Innova to produce the discs, why on earth would he need to publicly cut ties as a sponsored player to facilitate it? The only way that makes sense is if he intends to shop around for a partner and then comes back to Innova at a later time. But if the plan all along is for him to return to Innova, this whole thing of announcing he's no longer sponsored is entirely unnecessary. And potentially harmful to his "brand" going forward.

Occum's Razor, as always, is the best way to approach this. He got a better offer from someone else. Period. He's done with Innova and he's moving on.
All this talk of a deal with Discraft and then Innova announcing of all days..on.. "Halloween" that Paul is gone. Just seemed like an obvious "trick" they were pulling on all of us. If he does stay with Innova I admit there will be some backlash, but only from a small group of peeps that don't mind paying inflated prices for plastic.

I admit...I am starting to lose a bit of steam on this prediction...... but still holding out for a bit longer. lol..
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 11-03-2018, 12:26 PM
joecoin's Avatar
joecoin joecoin is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Central Ohio
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,109
Niced 515 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
...

Occum's Razor, as always, is the best way to approach this. He got a better offer from someone else. Period. He's done with Innova and he's moving on.
Indeed, I heard the 1st Discraft new mold with his name on it will be named McOcums Razor. Best for approaches.

Additionally, he's going to create pay to play courses throughout the world, a' la Putt-Putt mini golf. These courses will feature redesigned baskets flush with the ground. No chains. They'll be called "Paul McBeths McRoller Ace" parks.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 11-03-2018, 01:21 PM
AndyJB's Avatar
AndyJB AndyJB is offline
Big Country
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Disc Golf Mecca: Colorado
Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,936
Niced 165 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I still believe he is going to make his own line of discs and have discraft or someone else manufacture them for him. I think hes going to try and be the Jordan of disc golf and brand himself and just make all the dollars.
See, with all the craziness surrounding the announcement, this seems plausible. I wonder though, if he was going this route, why wouldn't he have Innova make the hypothetical discs? Obviously there isn't any bad blood there.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM
AndyJB's Avatar
AndyJB AndyJB is offline
Big Country
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Disc Golf Mecca: Colorado
Years Playing: 27.6
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,936
Niced 165 Times in 92 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
OK, I was one who publicly stated that no way is PM leaving Innova.
However, I also said that if Paul was going to Discraft, it was for business reasons.
Discraft has been trying to improve their brand and Paul is trying to build his own brand.
Further (and total) speculation:
Paul is joining Discraft because they are offering him something that Innova is unwilling to give him.
Innova arguably needs no help with their brand, but Discraft sees the benefit of building on Paul's brand.
Further (and total) speculation:
Discraft releases a line of McBeth discs, clothing, baskets, bags, carts, design sevices, etc.
They give him access to land to build some signature courses.
I'm not sure they're giving him part ownership, but it's possible.
But my (total) speculation is that they'll enable him to build his brand somehow.
Innova was not going to "partner" with McBeth, but Discraft is a smaller, leaner company and more able to structure and benefit from said partnership.
This makes sense to me, but I'm no business man. Does anyone know where the Discraft rumor started? I mean, I was hearing it within minutes of Innova's announcement. Is this just an internet thing where we all jumped on this random speculation or is there some real meat on this bone?
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 11-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Jkosk's Avatar
Jkosk Jkosk is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minnesota
Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 708
Niced 42 Times in 22 Posts
Default

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that part of his decision to go to Discraft (or wherever he winds up) could stem from them actively wanting to partner with him on course design, land ownership, construction, equipment supply, etc.

Paul made it known that a dream of his is to begin developing championship-level courses and he wants to source some land to do it. If Innova balked at the idea of buying land, landscaping it all, etc.. Perhaps someone else didn't?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Innova GStar Krait Paul McBeth Signature BirdieMachine Discs 105 08-25-2014 07:13 AM
SmashBoxxTV Presents Battle at Blue Lake - Paul McBeth, Paul Ulibarri, Steve Rico, Ke Old Bassman Tournaments & Leagues 7 08-11-2014 06:33 PM
Paul McBeth S-P2! DiscNutt123 The Marketplace 0 05-24-2013 10:45 AM
Paul McBeth S P2's Rocaholic74 The Marketplace 1 04-19-2013 10:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.