Old 02-02-2021, 10:50 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,293 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froth View Post
I must be the only person who likes the non-burst non-Emac prime Truth, they’re real close to kicking my Buzzz SS out but if they become as hard to find as a stiff flat Buzzz SS I’m gonna have to start searching elsewhere...
Buzz SS was kind of hard to find at times, they had dome to get the flight they wanted from the mold then got too flippy so they went back to a flat top version and so on, Discraft is really good about using different tops and nose/PLH height to get nearly the exact same flight each time with the miss-prints being the test disc to see the flight. Sometime the plastic changes too on purpose to get the flight they want. I almost think that Discraft modified a mechanical Clay Pidgeon thrower to accommodate the Disc golf discs to test discs.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Casey 1988; 02-02-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorooks View Post
But do they know that?

When I first started I heard a lot of "you need a Nuke". And of course, the more expensive the disc the farther it goes right? I took me a couple months reading this forum to realize I need slower discs. Imagine how long it would take someone -if ever- that doesn't get that exposure.
After a year of Using just a Rubber putter from Lighting, I just based my thinking off of Golf with Beginner sets and looked for those kind of discs. Innova had one set then later a 1/2 after I got my discs, 2 with a Champion beginner version that flopped hard due to putter an Aviar being in Champion too. Also helped the fastest discs at the time in mid 2004 were Innova Wraith and odd feeling Surge.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebake91 View Post
I was the same way when I started out. I didn't really know what I was doing. A dominator and a wraith were among the first discs I ever bought. It wasn't until I accidentally stumbled upon some YouTube coverage of a tournament, then realized there were instructional videos there too, that I realized I had made an error. That started me on the path. Then I found this place and my disc golf world forever changed.

Newbies just see "distance driver" and think of it like golf. Drivers go farther right? Need to throw drivers. They don't know any better.

I see sooooo many kids at the middle school course I play a lot throwing destroyers on 200' chucker flex lines all over the course. Pre-pandemic times, I played a few holes with one. I gave him a Relay to throw for a second drive off one tee, and he was baffled at how it went 40' farther than his destroyer. And then my putter went another 20' past that and I thought his brain was gonna pop.
Not me I wanted discs closer to the catch disc I was used to throwing back and fourth. This led me to using a putter in my first year, that and drivers it seemed like I would hurt somebody. I was only used to the older made until late 1990's early 2000 Aerobe with the metal ring in the middle not the newer ones with thin line of plastic to a thicker rubber bit that hurt way less to catch. So in that respect I thought with the fairway and drivers I would hurt random people should I mess up on the course.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 1,075 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
I must be the only person who likes the non-burst non-Emac prime Truth, theyre real close to kicking my Buzzz SS out but if they become as hard to find as a stiff flat Buzzz SS Im gonna have to start searching elsewhere...
Yep, you just might be the only one

I've tried out a handful of Trilogy mids in Prime (Truth, Evidence, Tursas) and they all start out surprisingly stable and are flat/glideless compared to their premium counterparts. I use Biofuzion/Recycled plastic and 7-10g lighter than normal if I want a disc that will beat in quickly but still retain flight characteristics from the normal mold. I just don't like how Prime plastic molds up in anything other than putters. It is AMAZING for putters though.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:53 PM

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Yep, you just might be the only one

I've tried out a handful of Trilogy mids in Prime (Truth, Evidence, Tursas) and they all start out surprisingly stable and are flat/glideless compared to their premium counterparts. I use Biofuzion/Recycled plastic and 7-10g lighter than normal if I want a disc that will beat in quickly but still retain flight characteristics from the normal mold. I just don't like how Prime plastic molds up in anything other than putters. It is AMAZING for putters though.
Im a sucker for Prime plastic, Very very good for putters I gotta agree there, I throw Prime Judges and theyre so flat and stiff and feel so great, the Truth I have now in prime is pretty beat in so its gained a lot of glide and lost most all of the fade. My Prime Emac truth is actually puddle topped but I still love it, wind fighter for days almost as OS as my DGA quake.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 1,075 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Im a sucker for Prime plastic, Very very good for putters I gotta agree there, I throw Prime Judges and theyre so flat and stiff and feel so great, the Truth I have now in prime is pretty beat in so its gained a lot of glide and lost most all of the fade. My Prime Emac truth is actually puddle topped but I still love it, wind fighter for days almost as OS as my DGA quake.
+1 for Prime Judges! They are great. I have Classic Blends in the bag now because of winter, but in warmer weather Prime Judges are super nice.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:01 PM
Size Queen

Niced 305 Times in 209 Posts

Trilogy does have the best base plastic I think. It seems fairly consistent in terms of stiffness and grip. It's fairly durable.

Other guys like MVP, warps and is junk. DX varies wildly as does or did Pro-D (Is D-Line the same?). You can find nice DX or Pro-D but it's a crap shoot if you buy online. I haven't tried Prodigy 200, so IDK. I haven't tried Legacys either Excel is it?
Old 02-03-2021, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 433 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Trilogy does have the best base plastic I think. It seems fairly consistent in terms of stiffness and grip. It's fairly durable.

Other guys like MVP, warps and is junk. DX varies wildly as does or did Pro-D (Is D-Line the same?). You can find nice DX or Pro-D but it's a crap shoot if you buy online. I haven't tried Prodigy 200, so IDK. I haven't tried Legacys either Excel is it?
I could go along with that. I looked at Prodigy's baseline and it felt chalky and cheap. I live the grip of PRO-D, but it is fragile. DX is never the same twice. I've bought a lot of
Retro/Origio/Prime discs, and they always feel the same. They aren't super durable, but they age pretty well if you avoid trees, roads, rocks, etc. Some molds, like the Tresspass and Harp, keep their stability for a long time, and others, like the Trident, a looooong time.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 527
Niced 2,245 Times in 1,055 Posts

It's a good thing I have a decent sized stack of Northmen still. For whatever reason they just work well for me. Right about the time I started clicking with the Pine they vanished off the face of the earth. Wasps have taken over that spot so I'm good. No Boatmen, Longbowmen or Bards and I'm down to not much left from Westside. At least there's still going to be some Stags.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:46 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 47 Times in 30 Posts

Yay! I might get to try a Maul someday!