Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 02-24-2021, 11:24 AM
Size Queen

Niced 306 Times in 210 Posts

I've thrown most of these shallower putters but find I still have a nice gap between them and my midranges. For instance understable putter to mid say (Deputy to Tursas) is a good 25-30 feet. I don't throw my putters real high though either more of a line drive so it's probably the lower glide creating a gap.

I could see if you throw higher the putters could go about the same.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2021, 01:43 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

My thinnest putter is a Star Mirage. You can throw it on a pretty deep hyzer and get it to stand up and grab some good distance.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 75 Times in 42 Posts

If you haven't tried them the shallower driving putters Gateway makes are fantastic. Use my Shaman and Chief OS quite a bit in the woods, those and the regular Chief are all ran flat and are low profile so they fit good in the hand forehand or backhand.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 47 Times in 30 Posts

(1) Try a fan grip

(2) Try an Opto Pure
Old 02-24-2021, 04:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 93 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Plastifari View Post
DGA Breaker fits the description of what you are looking for.
Second this suggestion. They are essentially good, e.g. flat, Rhynos without a thumbtrac. The Breaker has excellent HSS without having a ton of low-speed fade or glide. It's equally as effective on approaches and drives.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 248 Times in 116 Posts

Aviar3 all day
Old 02-24-2021, 10:34 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,293 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I've thrown most of these shallower putters but find I still have a nice gap between them and my midranges. For instance understable putter to mid say (Deputy to Tursas) is a good 25-30 feet. I don't throw my putters real high though either more of a line drive so it's probably the lower glide creating a gap.

I could see if you throw higher the putters could go about the same.
I am same though I have had the #2 Upshot in prostyle and upper 160's grams to no more then 170 gams, XD (Colt is replacement) tried a persons for driving one time, and Classic Roc tried a friends (when he did use mold) for a round. Classic ROC is limited on the Innova factory store in Star in midrange section despite being called a putter by Innova in 2000's before going oop. All these discs get the same distance as a putter shaped /putter flight midrange. I have also seen some use the Dart and get as far as a midrange though I have never used the mold, have used a Rubber Putter Lighting in 2000's and a similar beaded mold now sold only from Gotta Go Gotta Throw got me as far as a midrange due to the glide.

For Small diameter midrange try a Gator/Cayman/Mortar disc for both midrange and approach stuff, being a putter shape just low profile it can be a great disc. Then there is the Skeeter a disc that is basically a small diameter Comet only a tick more straight flying from the Skeeter with less OS fade at the end for Skeeter.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:02 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 41 Times in 17 Posts

I've discovered that I really prefer flat thin discs whenever possible. I have a Discmania Sensei which my girlfriend has adopted, 2 new MVP Anodes, and a Gateway Shaman as my flattest putters. The Sensei got me onto the flat thing. I like the MVPs after using a friend's. All I can say about the Shaman is that it must have spent a lot of time in obedience school, because the darned thing does exactly what you tell it to. Every time. I've sunk so many blind, obstructed putts with it, it's ridiculous. Can't see the basket? Use the Shaman. It's become a bit of a running joke with the guys I disc with.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 26 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbstrat View Post
C-Line Infinite Tomb is my goto for a glidey, turn-resistant, low-profile putter...doesn't really turn and has some fade even on a full power throw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameyO View Post
The innova rat is thin and flat and feels great in the hand. Reminds me of a small diameter Mako3.
Rat and Tomb both feel like tweener discs (same shared flat top), I like throwing both FH and BH. Tomb has a bit more glide and Rat is a little more stable but they both handle wind decently well. If you get them spinning they'll hold angles nicely. I think the Tomb is most likely to replace a mid range but only in low wind or tailwind. Headwind would probably need a bit more stability.

Sometimes I'll throw a premium Aviar3 in the straight-understable but feel the Tomb goes a bit further. Base plastic Aviar3, Invader, P3x, Omega Driver are all a bit shallower than their premium versions and glide a little further.

There are some courses where I rarely use mids or make do without in my area, but I will usually keep 1-2 in the bag. Sometimes the flight & ground action a Aurora MS/Roc3 can give is really beneficial over a putter. Not knowing what the course layout might be or if I might need to scramble from a distance where a mid makes most sense factors in.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-26-2021, 06:58 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 121 Times in 72 Posts

Colt + Stud combo will always be slept on, but they are everything you need.