* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,350 Times in 1,308 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

Besides, I've seen golfers miss 2' putts, and I shudder to think what sort of target we'd need to cause that in disc golf.
Reminds me of finishing a hole "back in the day" with a top player and friend on my card the first round. As we were finishing the hole and yapping at the same time he picked up his disc for the drop in, literally a drop in.

He was looking at me when he sat the disc on the rim and let go. The disc rocked back and forth slowly about 3 times as we both froze staring at it to see what would happen.

Lucky for him it fell in and I busted up laughing.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 9
Niced 2,207 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I'm all out of troll food...
Im sure that local market will run another sale on it sooner than later!
Old 03-02-2021, 08:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 127
Niced 6,637 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Reminds me of finishing a hole "back in the day" with a top player and friend on my card the first round. As we were finishing the hole and yapping at the same time he picked up his disc for the drop in, literally a drop in.

He was looking at me when he sat the disc on the rim and let go. The disc rocked back and forth slowly about 3 times as we both froze staring at it to see what would happen.

Lucky for him it fell in and I busted up laughing.
I had a friend and tournament opponent do that on a hanging basket. He was going to let it fall in, but the slight pressure caused the basket to swing away from him, and the disc fell to the ground.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:31 AM
Size Queen

Niced 305 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
True, but 900' drives are infinitely easier in golf.

Of the many fallacies in equating aspects of golf to disc golf, using the same measurements rank pretty high.

Besides, I've seen golfers miss 2' putts, and I shudder to think what sort of target we'd need to cause that in disc golf.
Yeah but the holes are 1500' as well.

Did I ever say I wanted to make 2' putts missable or to replicate the percentages of ball golf?

Nope.

I'm simply making the point that putting is way too easy in disc golf and any steps to make it even relatively challenging would be a step in the right direction.

Shouldn't players be rewarded for throwing it to 1 foot instead of 25? Because the way it is now, the pro player is taking the same score regardless 90% of the time.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:37 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
I had a doubles partner miss a 2' putt once, forcing me to walk back from the next tee to clean it up for him. But that was less a matter of basket design, than brain design.
I had a buddy miss a 2 inch putt in ball golf, which again was him with a brain fart, He went to stab it in but hit the green behind the ball which counts as a stroke (attempting to hit the ball counts of course). We all laughed about that one.

Actually Nikko missed a 1 footer once, he rammed his disc and hand through the chains and the disc fell out the back side. I'm sure it's on some youtube videos of Nikko blowups. It's quite funny.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:43 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 256 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
I was thinking it would have to be deeper for sure. Not sure about 3 feet or whatever. Maybe angled in like this /__\ on the sides. Once it's in it would be extremely difficult to come out by bouncing. Maybe lined on the bottom with an impact absorbing material.
I was really thinking about a better "Cone' type basket. Deep basket would be fine, though I don't think bounce outs would be too much of an issue. One of these days i will develop a prototype. RocketDave that doesn't mean tomorrow BTW.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I was really thinking about a better "Cone' type basket. Deep basket would be fine, though I don't think bounce outs would be too much of an issue. One of these days i will develop a prototype. RocketDave that doesn't mean tomorrow BTW.
Cones exist already so how would you make them different?

As far as a no chain or pole, yes it would completely change the game so I'm not sure that would be feasible to go that route. I still like the idea of going shorter chain height and narrower. I modified my own basket and it catches great.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 256 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Cones exist already so how would you make them different?

As far as a no chain or pole, yes it would completely change the game so I'm not sure that would be feasible to go that route. I still like the idea of going shorter chain height and narrower. I modified my own basket and it catches great.
The problem with any chains is that it takes away the 'touch' part of putting. I absolutely hate that folks can just throw fastballs into the chains and can hit high, low, right, left and still have it go in.

Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 41.1
Courses Played: 96
Niced 3,350 Times in 1,308 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
The problem with any chains is that it takes away the 'touch' part of putting. I absolutely hate that folks can just throw fastballs into the chains and can hit high, low, right, left and still have it go in.
Then you need to stop playing things that you "hate".

Closed Thread