Old 11-24-2020, 09:01 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Grip release troubles with fan/stacked grip

Or possibly the fork grip, I hear it called multiple different things. Here's a picture for reference.

I throw this on all midranges and below because of the extra control it gives me. With drivers, if I have an open look, I throw a power grip, but if I'm trying to hit a tight window or precise line then I use the stacked grip. I play a lot of tightly wooded courses.

Putters and slightly deeper rim mids (think Mako3) are no issue, though on occasion a mid will slip out slightly early. Unsurprisingly, wide-rim drivers present an issue. I can throw them with this grip, but I have early release problems too often. The biggest problem though is when something like a Buzzz or Teebird3 slips, since if I'm picking that disc in the first place I'm prioritizing accuracy.

The problem is exacerbated by my improving throwing form; I'm generating higher disc speed, so it's harder to keep the disc solidly in my hand when I start the rapid pull forward from the max reach back.

Any thoughts on what I can do to address this? I'm open to all suggestions, but obviously ones that I can implement without a total overhaul are the kind of low hanging fruit I'd prefer to try first.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 421 Times in 310 Posts

Hard to tell, but could be form related more than grip related. There's lots of ways to grip a disc successfully. Might just have to experiment with different grips to find one that works for you.

"so it's harder to keep the disc solidly in my hand when I start the rapid pull forward from the max reach back"

Disc should be moving pretty slowly from max reachback. It shouldn't even really be putting much pressure on your grip at all until mid-chest or so. The elbow should lead and cam off the pressure on your grip until elbow slows down and ejects lower arm.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 553 Times in 318 Posts

I struggle with power down approaches to the point where I’m exclusively forehand after the tee, unless I hit a(nother) tree. When I throw a putter from 125’, there is enough likelihood that it will hit every knuckle crease on release that it goes nowhere near my line. Then if I just ‘open my hand’ to release intentionally, I don’t get the right timing. Forehand goes where I throw it for 175’ and under.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I struggle with power down approaches to the point where I’m exclusively forehand after the tee, unless I hit a(nother) tree. When I throw a putter from 125’, there is enough likelihood that it will hit every knuckle crease on release that it goes nowhere near my line. Then if I just ‘open my hand’ to release intentionally, I don’t get the right timing. Forehand goes where I throw it for 175’ and under.
What kind of grip are you using? Really only need thumb/index finger pressure for those short throws. I don't know how people powergrip shorter throws. I think a lot of it is "touch" though at those ranges. Not a soft grip, but not a grip that you'd use on 300+ shots. The disc doesn't release itself like at full power, but it's not like a conscious hand opening either.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 553 Times in 318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhhNegative View Post
What kind of grip are you using? Really only need thumb/index finger pressure for those short throws. I don't know how people powergrip shorter throws. I think a lot of it is "touch" though at those ranges. Not a soft grip, but not a grip that you'd use on 300+ shots. The disc doesn't release itself like at full power, but it's not like a conscious hand opening either.
I use a fan grip for upshots backhand. But 95% of the time I go forehand because it’s more consistent for me.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I use a fan grip for upshots backhand. But 95% of the time I go forehand because it’s more consistent for me.
Yeah I do tend to lean on a FH approach as well, but I have gotten a lot better at those standstill BH approaches. Not sure what changed but I just focus on finishing through the line (like finishing "through" the pole on a putt) I want to release on and it just kind of works out and releases when it needs to. If I miss early I didn't grip quite enough and if I miss right its because my shoulder pulled it right.

Niced: (1)