Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,269 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Have you tried or thought about employing the typical Optimist model of splitting into teams and getting business sponsors?? Lots of Pros and Cons to this idea, obviously. But I love your groundbreaking effort.
I think long-term to have a sustainable program somebody has to pay the bills. We are going to dodge a bullet this year with the PDGA grant, but what happens next year when we don't have a grant is a very good question.

In our case, the Optimist Club had been running fundraisers and paying for the programs with no sponsorships and slowly sinking in red ink. We started a sponsorship program for the Optimist programs this fall and exceeded our goals, but we have around 70 sponsorships slots to fill and right now all the Soccer and Basketball teams have priority over the start-up disc golf program.

Realistically we will need sponsorship at some point or we will have to split away from the Optimist program and charge a fee. That's down the road, though. Right now I just want to focus on making it as big as I can. Hopefully if we make it big enough, the sponsorship will be there.

I have to get some PM's out; I'll get that done tonight. Thanks for helping.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you say light weight, exactly how light weight are you talking? 150g? Less?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripstuff View Post
I don't have any minis that I can donate, but I have a brand new 150 Shark and a new 150 Aviar, and a used 150 Shark if you would like those. If you are interested shoot me a PM with your addy and the date you need them by and I will get them to asap. I love this idea and would be more than happy to donate whatever I can.
I own one of those sharks lol and would be happy to donate as well!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 317
Niced 46 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Last Fall I put together a program (with a lot of help) to teach kids disc golf. Basically we just put the discs in the kids hands and gave them some instruction. I sold the idea to our local Optimist Club, which runs local youth sports already. The idea was to plug into the existing youth sports structure, which would make us seem more legit than "random guy offers disc golf lessons." We piggybacked the school flyer and registration with soccer, which gave us a lot of exposure. We started up with 21 kids, which was a pretty good jumping off point. The kids got a shirt and two discs and we showed them the basics of how it was done.

Gateway helped with the discs, the local club provided volunteers and the City allowed us to use the course for free. That helped us keep our expenses down. This year we got an innovation grant from the PDGA, so that will help as we move forward this year. We are going to expand to Spring and Fall programs and add a few things like offering lessons to parents so they can learn along with the kids, offering a adult/child division in our doubles league, etc.

The only downside to all this is that the Optimist Club bylaws state that the program has to be free. No income + expenses = problems. We sat down and crunched numbers, and even with the PDGA grant we are going to be in the red.

So here is my pitch: We need minis. Kids love minis and you can't really teach the proper playing etiquette without them. However, they are not essential and are the first thing that gets cut when the program goes red.

I could also use a stack of light plastic. We make sure the kids get new discs to start the program, but every week some kids show up without them. We also played some games where we needed extra discs and just ended up using my discs. If I had a box of 25 or so 150 class or LW discs we could use it would come in handy.

If you have minis and/or lightweight discs you can part with, PM me and I'll give you the address to send them to. We will use them to pass the game on to the next generation. Thanks for reading.
hey three putt is that you in the back row second from the right.... blue hat
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 138
Niced 90 Times in 13 Posts

You could host an Ice Bowl. Give mulligans for discs and cash. My daughter did this for her school a few years ago. 45 discs and $145.00 were donated (the cash bought a used basket).
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
hey three putt is that you in the back row second from the right.... blue hat
That's my Dad. If I'm luck enough to live another 40 years that's probably what I'll look like, though.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 317
Niced 46 Times in 31 Posts

sweet, he looks nice
Old 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 45
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
That's my Dad. If I'm luck enough to live another 40 years that's probably what I'll look like, though.

Thats awesome!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedly View Post
When you say light weight, exactly how light weight are you talking? 150g? Less?
It kinda depends. We used some 161g Stratus last fall because the weight wasn't so bad and the mold was good for beginners. That's about as heavy as I'd like to get. The Elements that we had were just labeled "LW" and were all around 130g.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

We finished up another round of the Optimist disc golf program last night. We had another 21 kids (21 seems to be our magic number.) Five came back from the fall, so that's 37 kids total we have had in the program so far. Between the PDGA grant and a Gateway sponsorship we have enough funds to go at least one more time in the Fall, and thanks to DGCR members we have enough mini's for fall as well. Thanks to everyone who donated.