Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 115
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

The straightest driver I've thrown in my admittedly limited experience is an E HPP Apache. I had a 175 that didn't turn much, and didn't fade much. I lost it. It was a sad day. I now have one that is a bit heavier, and the only difference I've seen is it has a bit more fade at the end of it's flight.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

As usually my answer, champ Boss
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW! I can't believe all the great responses I've gotten. It's gonna take me a while to dig through all the suggestions, and buy a few discs and give them a try. My of my DG friends uses the Starfire, and highly recommends it. He only owns three discs and wouldn't go to the course with out his Star Starfire.

How does the DX Starfire compare to the Pro, Champ or Star? My local Walmart sells DX and Pro discs, so I may buy one there, but I love the candy Champs, so I may wait until I'm in Columbia and go to PIAS and see if they have a Champ.

Thanks everyone!
Don
Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
You want to throw the disc lower, the problem is when it loses speed it will break off, the higher the disc is when it loses speed, the farther it will go to the side.
I've thrown that hole pretty level. The disc didn't go above my head, then I'm guessing it stalls and breaks to the right for the rest of the flight. I'm not sure how to control the nose down on a FH throw. I've not seen or read anything on nose down FH throwing.

I've thought about throwing it RHBH even though it doglegs right, but throw off to the right and let it break left towards the hole. The field is open so I could get away with it, but there is a line of tall trees that I would have to shoot through. I'm certain I'll hit a tree, I always do. 20' of open, and I'll hit the tree every time. I just LOVE this game...LOL

Donald
Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdggna View Post
First, if its downhill, throw with the hill, not straight out. If there is an big elevation drop, you should be throwing somewhat down, not straight ahead. This will alleviate a lot of that fade.

All discs are going to fade if they're still in the air when they loose speed. My previous tip will help with that.

Drivers that are straight for BH are not generally straight for FH. There are a lot of different variables that go into both types of throws that can cause any number of different flight paths.

A 280' straight throw is doable with several discs. Especially if it is down hill. Fairway drivers typically considered "straight" are Teebirds, Stalkers, Strikers, Assassins, Gazelles, Cyclones, etc. It is also possible to throw VERY straight shots with a hyzer-flipped understable disc. I usually do this with my putter, but any disc in the understable category can be flipped.

I'm kind of confused about your request though. You said were throwing FH so that you could navigate the dogleg easier. I'm not sure why you would want a straight disc in this situation then. I assume you mean something that will go straight for longer before fading. In this case you want to flick something a little less overstable than what you have been using. For short straight FH shots I occasionally use a Sidewinder thrown with almost all wrist snap instead of any arm.
I'm not getting past the line of trees that is at the edge of the dog leg. I'm thinking IF I can get a longer straight disc, I would make it to the edge instead of along the edge, then have a little closer straighter shot to the hole with out going through the trees.

Donald
Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinjack View Post
The straightest driver I've thrown in my admittedly limited experience is an E HPP Apache. I had a 175 that didn't turn much, and didn't fade much. I lost it. It was a sad day. I now have one that is a bit heavier, and the only difference I've seen is it has a bit more fade at the end of it's flight.
I have lighter HPP Apaches, 165 and 167. They finish straight where i aim them, but S turn consistently. Time to get a heavier one.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Smith View Post
I'm not getting past the line of trees that is at the edge of the dog leg. I'm thinking IF I can get a longer straight disc, I would make it to the edge instead of along the edge, then have a little closer straighter shot to the hole with out going through the trees.

Donald
In that case, 3 questions:

1. What are you currently throwing?

2. How far are you currently getting the disc down the hill?

3. How much farther is it to the tree line you are trying to make it past?

My apologies if you already answered these. I didn't see any clear answers.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Smith View Post
I was on top of a hill (#3 hole in Kirksville, MO) and throwing for the hole which is 400' away I think. I've tried several discs, and they all pretty much do the same thing. They fly out level ( no need to throw with Alt, since your a good 20 to 30' above the hole) then they turn right at almost a 90 degree angle and go almost as far to the right as they do forwards. I am throwing forearm, since it's a dog leg to the right.
This hole always messes with my head I feel like I going to drive and roll down the hill onto my face.

I usually throw a big anny with my beat up Beast on the hole RHBH, but too much anny and I'm in the road. It is high enough that at the end of the flight the disc will stall and come back left just in time.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 131
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

A beat up boss for long shots or a TL for semi long ones

Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdggna View Post
In that case, 3 questions:

1. What are you currently throwing?

2. How far are you currently getting the disc down the hill?

3. How much farther is it to the tree line you are trying to make it past?

My apologies if you already answered these. I didn't see any clear answers.
1. I've tried my Wraith and Beast with pretty much the same flight.
2.I've never paced it off accurately, I'm guessing 250' before it breaks to the right, which is about a normal throw for me.
3. Never paced it, but 50 to 75', 100 tops.

I don't think I have answered those questions. Thanks for asking!
Donald