Old 01-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 170
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 21 Times in 12 Posts

Got the park on board this morning. Not tying to step on toes of the other guys and wouldnt take anything away from what they've done. Its just they dont do anything anymore and havent in a few years. Ive weed whacking before tournaments and didnt finish only to find they didnt do anything. I think they are busy with tbe course in there town which is 45 min from this one
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.4
Courses Played: 247
Niced 1,633 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post
Your parks has no idea what they are talking about...well at least as far as I know lol...but I think there are exceptions to the ADA rule because it is not always feasible to meet the standards. For example, I worked on a street reconstruction project in an old downtown where the buildings were on the side of a hill. There was just no way to make the sidewalk flat enough and still meet the entry points to each of those old buildings. As I recall, the max slope sidewalk can be is like 5% and this downtown street was 10% or something crazy like that. So without leveling about 6 blocks worth of city buildings and excavating millions of yards of dirt we weren't going to get things flat enough for ADA. To get that project built we just needed an engineer to stamp a letter basically saying ADA ain't happening here.

There are parks all over the USA that are no where near ADA compliant so I have to believe there are exceptions to the rule. Now, sidewalks immediately adjacent to new buildings and bathrooms are almost certainly going to need to be ADA compliant but a navigation feature on a disc golf fairway I seriously doubt is going to have to follow the same rules. If it did, you'd never see another new course anywhere - ever. A civil engineer or land scape architect well versed in the laws would be a good resource rather than this parks department.
I think we all agree, but that is not ours to say. Ultimately, the parks, municipality or legal department in charge have the say. The point was, if you build stuff in a park and they deem it inappropriate, the downside is potential course removal. Ensuring the park or power that be, is involved is an absolute must, IMO.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks for the input everyone and by all means keep it coming if you have something to add.

I made sure to ask what could and couldnt not be done by myself and or members of the disc golf community. I tried to sell them on the idea of getting more traffic in the park, cleaning up and keeping the riff raff out. I also really pushed the idea of generating business for local hotel and restaurants during tournaments.

I like the idea of craigs list for lumber and 500 for sign recognition but i probably wouldnt ask for that much. Ive said for a long time this course has the potential to be one of the best in the area, i just hope we can make it happen.

My biggest concern isnt the park or money its push back from the guys that helped get it in. Hopfully with a solid plan to present to the park and city along with good sponsorship the city with give me control or at least let me make the improvements.

Thanks again
Old 01-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 219 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Your parks has no idea what they are talking about...well at least as far as I know lol...but I think there are exceptions to the ADA rule because it is not always feasible to meet the standards. For example, I worked on a street reconstruction project in an old downtown where the buildings were on the side of a hill. There was just no way to make the sidewalk flat enough and still meet the entry points to each of those old buildings. As I recall, the max slope sidewalk can be is like 5% and this downtown street was 10% or something crazy like that. So without leveling about 6 blocks worth of city buildings and excavating millions of yards of dirt we weren't going to get things flat enough for ADA. To get that project built we just needed an engineer to stamp a letter basically saying ADA ain't happening here.

There are parks all over the USA that are no where near ADA compliant so I have to believe there are exceptions to the rule. Now, sidewalks immediately adjacent to new buildings and bathrooms are almost certainly going to need to be ADA compliant but a navigation feature on a disc golf fairway I seriously doubt is going to have to follow the same rules. If it did, you'd never see another new course anywhere - ever. A civil engineer or land scape architect well versed in the laws would be a good resource rather than this parks department.
Our city takes liability very seriously as they have lost several frivolous lawsuits in the past, most recent being a sleigh rider being hurt on a hill at the same park as our disc golf course. They have a solid understanding of local codes and have stated that if we built a bridge, even if it's a 10' bridge over a tiny drainage ditch, it needs a plan approved by the city engineer and also needs to be inspected and approved by the code enforcement officer.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 86
Niced 1,629 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
My biggest concern isnt the park or money its push back from the guys that helped get it in. Hopfully with a solid plan to present to the park and city along with good sponsorship the city with give me control or at least let me make the improvements.

Thanks again
So what is their hang-up with course improvements?
Old 01-23-2018, 07:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post
Our city takes liability very seriously as they have lost several frivolous lawsuits in the past, most recent being a sleigh rider being hurt on a hill at the same park as our disc golf course. They have a solid understanding of local codes and have stated that if we built a bridge, even if it's a 10' bridge over a tiny drainage ditch, it needs a plan approved by the city engineer and also needs to be inspected and approved by the code enforcement officer.
Hopefully your code enforcement person has a clue. I've not had good luck with those types around here which is why I suggested getting a civil engineer involved. Around these parts it seems code enforcement/building inspectors (usually one person hold both titles) are really good at knowing how high outlets need to be off the floor but when it comes to ADA slope requirements you might as well be speaking Greek. An ill-informed person in that sort of position can cost municipalities A LOT of money with either liability or unneeded overbuilding.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 67
Niced 664 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Hopefully your code enforcement person has a clue. I've not had good luck with those types around here which is why I suggested getting a civil engineer involved. Around these parts it seems code enforcement/building inspectors (usually one person hold both titles) are really good at knowing how high outlets need to be off the floor but when it comes to ADA slope requirements you might as well be speaking Greek. An ill-informed person in that sort of position can cost municipalities A LOT of money with either liability or unneeded overbuilding.
Well ADA requires 1 inch of rise per 1 foot of length for ramps. Also a requirement for flat "landing zones" for every 30 inch rise of ramp. As far as pedestrian bridges, ADA requires a certain minimum width, I think it's 36 inches.

https://www.ada.gov/2010ADAstandards_index.htm
Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
So what is their hang-up with course improvements?
Don’t want to really get into on a public forum. Hopefully it goes off without any issues.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Don’t want to really get into on a public forum. Hopefully it goes off without any issues.
Oh ok...Yeah I didn't think of it that way when I asked the question. Good call.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 79
Niced 33 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riltim View Post

We've tried for a while to get a bridge in at a local course. It just turns into too much of an undertaking after what all they want.

Basically this is the city's thought: Presumption of Risk

If someone breaks a leg jumping the creek, the had presumed a certain amount of risk by jumping it. If someone breaks a leg on a bridge, there was no reasonable presumption of risk. It's supposed to be safe to walk across a bridge, everyone knows jumping the creek could be risky.

I may not like that, but I can't argue against it. So they want a really well overbuilt bridge.