Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 58 Posts
Default The effect of dome on a mold, is there a consensus?

In my very limited experience with one mold in a time period of form development I formed the opinion that more dome meant more HSS and more Low Speed Fade (LSF). I thought my domed matrix (lost) was more resistant to high speed turn and glided out a lot further than the flat matrix that replaced it.

This post from Wolfmandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
On mids, more dome usally means less stability, not more.
made me realize I don’t know and don’t have enough experience to really know. Searching Dome wasn’t helpful. So, this question. Please pardon me if this has already been done to death in another thread.

Again, the question what heuristic(s)/rule of thumb are available for the effects of more dome on a mold (always wanted to use that word)?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Niced 210 Times in 139 Posts

More dome should equal more glide. But this, like stability, seems to be also or mainly related to the PLH (parting line height).

Niced: (2)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

My understanding is similar to Meillo's. More dome really means more glide. Stability is more a component of PLH (Parting Line Height) where higher = more stable. Where I think people associate dome/flat with stability has a couple implications:

- Domey drivers usually mean the PLH is lower as the added curve of the dome brings the wing tip down which equates to less HSS
- Flat discs also have less glide and less glide mean less lift to turn the disc.

Just my $.02

Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

I will be arguing in opposite direction.

At Latitudes discs both PLH and dome increase HSS. I have compared 4 generations for Saint Pro and almost as many Flows.

PLH is the main attribute for HSS but when they have identical PLH, dome does almost as much difference.

Could it increase potential glide but hence also need a but higher speed due to its higher profile and increased wind resistance?

Edit: Saint Pro example (in order of HSS) :
Pearly Poptop: high PLH & big dome
Moonshine: high PLH & small dome
Older Moonshine: low PLH & big dome
Gold: low PLH & small dome

Last edited by Nenja; 03-15-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

There is no single rule for dome across all molds.

Some become more LSS or HSS while others less. Glide is meh..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,041 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
My understanding is similar to Meillo's. More dome really means more glide. Stability is more a component of PLH (Parting Line Height) where higher = more stable. Where I think people associate dome/flat with stability has a couple implications:

- Domey drivers usually mean the PLH is lower as the added curve of the dome brings the wing tip down which equates to less HSS
- Flat discs also have less glide and less glide mean less lift to turn the disc.

Just my $.02
I think this is very well said, other than its the Stagnation Point Height rather than the PLH that really matter.
The difference in SPH and PLH doesn't seem to be much different in mids, from my observations.
This is one of the aspects that muddy the water. Even more true the faster the disc is.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 994 Times in 652 Posts

Really most factors that involve stability are more tied to PLH than dome. Some dome can appear to add some glide in certain molds.

With Giants I like some dome sometimes since that often means the wing will be high as well, but with Destroyers the more dome usually means a lower wing. The disc that perplexes me most are my beloved Apes. A mild dome and high PLH is what you want, too much dome and it flies less stable, and there is one run of puddle top Apes that I thought would be amazing, but they fly like a glideless Katana.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post

This ^^

Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 193 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post

When you thought physical laws worked untill you started throwing discs...

Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 517 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
More dome should equal more glide. But this, like stability, seems to be also or mainly related to the PLH (parting line height).
WHOA whoa whoa.

Before we go any further in this thread, I want everyone to keep in mind that yes, PLH is king when it comes to stability.

For the sake of discussion in this thread though, let's assume that OP meant "all else held equal, how does dome affect HSS and LSS in putters, mids, fairways and distance drivers?"

It's worth mentioning that a dome can go hand in hand with higher PLH, as when the disc cools a certain way it pushes the PLH up, which puts more pressure on the flightplate, which domes up in response.

But that being said, again, I think it's worth it to try and address the question of how discs with differing dome but same PLH can be expected to fly.

Also, say you have two discs of the same mold, plastic, weight, condition, etc to compare and you place them flat on a table. Say the rims line up perfectly, but one disc has a high dome and the other is relatively flat. Do you say they have the same parting line height or is the PLH lower on the domey disc because the rim is relatively lower on the total profile?

Last edited by Alexplz; 03-15-2018 at 10:18 AM.