Old 04-01-2018, 08:15 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truwaco View Post
The older metal flake teebirds(I believe 2015 and before) are much more stable than normal stock run champion teebirds. It’s basically a teebird flight with the ability to handle headwinds like a firebird. They are absolute money. They take FOREVER to beat in and then stay in the sweet spot for a really long time. Needless to say, that’s the only teebirds I throw.

From what I’ve heard, the newer metal flakes are straighter than normal stock runs, but I have no personal experience with the newer ones.

I cannot speak for the color glows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got really interested in finding the differences between Metal Flake Teebird's a few months ago since I was looking to find a replacement for a 170g I had been throwing heavily for a few years and is now a dead straight flyer. From what I can tell there are 3 different types of MF Teebirds...

1 - Slightly gummy ones with tiny flakes, the two I have like this are from 2012 which I believe are first runs since MF started to appear in late 2011. I don't know if all of them from that time are gummy, just the two I have are. I started throwing one of them recently and it its got some nice glide to it with a good finish.

2 - Stiffer run with a ton of tiny flakes. The one's I have found are stamped from 2014 so I consider them second runs. Out of the 5 I have, 3 are board flat, and 2 have a mild dome to them. I have yet to throw the ones with dome's but the board flat ones are extremely beefy, as much as the Brinster's if not more.

3 - Stiff with less flakes of a larger size. They're more recent and the type of flakes you will see in any of the newer MF runs out there and I just group them together as 3rd runs. They just seem to fly like a standard Teebird to me.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:48 PM

Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djin View Post
So I got really interested in finding the differences between Metal Flake Teebird's a few months ago since I was looking to find a replacement for a 170g I had been throwing heavily for a few years and is now a dead straight flyer. From what I can tell there are 3 different types of MF Teebirds...

1 - Slightly gummy ones with tiny flakes, the two I have like this are from 2012 which I believe are first runs since MF started to appear in late 2011. I don't know if all of them from that time are gummy, just the two I have are. I started throwing one of them recently and it its got some nice glide to it with a good finish.

2 - Stiffer run with a ton of tiny flakes. The one's I have found are stamped from 2014 so I consider them second runs. Out of the 5 I have, 3 are board flat, and 2 have a mild dome to them. I have yet to throw the ones with dome's but the board flat ones are extremely beefy, as much as the Brinster's if not more.

3 - Stiff with less flakes of a larger size. They're more recent and the type of flakes you will see in any of the newer MF runs out there and I just group them together as 3rd runs. They just seem to fly like a standard Teebird to me.

Ya, I’ve never thrown the older gummy ones, just the “2nd Run” super stiff ones. They are so good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niced: (1)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djin View Post

#2 are the Teebirds I am talking about.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

I just picked up my first Teeb tonight! I'm super excited to test this disc out in the slot of my lost explorer. And honestly I'm hoping it's makes me fall in love because having a disc that is both super dope, and plentiful is a good idea, right? IDK any comparison from anyone of Teeb and Explorer would be cool.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 283 Times in 146 Posts

Teebird - GOAT fairway driver.

Explorer - Disappointingly unstable flavor of the month.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 30
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
I just picked up my first Teeb tonight! I'm super excited to test this disc out in the slot of my lost explorer. And honestly I'm hoping it's makes me fall in love because having a disc that is both super dope, and plentiful is a good idea, right? IDK any comparison from anyone of Teeb and Explorer would be cool.
You just said that you we’re picky about a mold that just released finding weight/color ext.? Good luck falling down that rabbit hole man.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGInternet View Post
You just said that you we’re picky about a mold that just released finding weight/color ext.? Good luck falling down that rabbit hole man.
Really just finding the same weight and color (I like pink, white and blue discs in my renag 174-176g.) And it seems I've had no trouble accidentally running across the Teeb in the "right" color and weight, more so than I intentionally can find the explorer, and it seems that rivals are out there, just not a lot so going Teeb seems right. Speed seven, easily replaceable in any color, weight. Maybe I'm wrong but I gotta try.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:21 AM

Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Just got my first teebird yesterday! G Star Teebird 163 and it flies great and far! Nice upgrade over my star leo! Looking forward to learning this disc in and out.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-06-2018, 12:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 99 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
hoping it's makes me fall in love
I’ve noticed you seem to make up your mind and “fall in love” with a disc before actually throwing it. Explorers and teebirds are essentially the same for the most part. Teebirds are best when they’re broken in a bit. So give yourself more than a week to figure the disc out.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 12
Niced 927 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.w View Post
I’ve noticed you seem to make up your mind and “fall in love” with a disc before actually throwing it. Explorers and teebirds are essentially the same for the most part. Teebirds are best when they’re broken in a bit. So give yourself more than a week to figure the disc out.
Don't fault the guy for loving to be in love. Some retailers are probably loving him.