Old 04-08-2018, 10:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 729 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
There's nothing special about CE. Or old stamped Discraft, or Wasp tooled Buzzz' or 10x Aviars. LITERALLY.

Sure the plastic is ever so slightly different but it's just what people are used to. Ever switch toothbrushes and your new one isn't like your old one? Doesn't make the [couple month] newer one any better or worse...it's just different. People pay far too much money for [new] old tooth brushes more or less.
I disagree , I feel like picking a bone for a bar stamped Buzzz, damn that used to be stable.. It was a sweet disc.

And then I thought about how far I used to throw when I was throwing it and realize I'm probably in the wrong.... I obviously cycled it out for a glow Z and always thought it was safely stashed in with my spares but I was wrong too.

Oh for the good old days, I keep thinking for Sunday dubs I should pack my bag with what I used to throw. Dust off the Evo Magic, 1st run ESP force, impossible to find dyed surge, an Orc and glow Buzzz and go rock it like it's 2010. Maybe a star dart, a groove and a spectra.. I can't remember all the discs I packed around.. But there was 20+ now it's 8 max..
Sponsored Links

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 04-08-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:49 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,264 Times in 859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
I disagree , I feel like picking a bone for a bar stamped Buzzz, damn that used to be stable.. It was a sweet disc.
The bar stamped Buzzz thing was funny. Right when it took off there was an awesome run of Z Buzzz out. You literally could go to the store and buy brand new some of the best flying Buzzz they ever made, but people were spending crazy $$$ on bar stamps.

I had an old Z Buzzz lying around, it has a tournament stamp on it but it was run in the timeframe of the barstamps. A guy came around trying to see if I had a barstamp to sell him and I showed him the tourney stamped one. No interest in it at all, had to have the barstamp.

Lol. The bar stamped Buzzz thing was silly. Straight up paying for a stamp.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-08-2018, 04:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 729 Times in 510 Posts

On the plus side that's when I stocked up on the Buzzz
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Yeah I feel like there are players who grew up throwing a certain run of something and it's what they're used to so they will pay $$ for more of them even when they already have a stash of backups. Newer players see that and think there's something magical about that older run because this older guy loves them. So they start bidding up the price and collecting them too, and pretty soon you've got a market of overpriced, older plastic. The suckers aren't the guys who grew up throwing that run and want to have a stash of them. Whatever gives you confidence to make your shot is great, and if you need CE plastic in your hands to have that confidence, then too bad for you (because you'll always be overpaying). But the suckers are the new guys who think there's something magical about these old discs and go out and pay $$$ for a disc they can't make perform any better than a stock price disc.

I've owned some CE discs, 11x Teebirds, various PFN runs of Star, pearly Orcs, S/DS and patent numbers Destroyers, and lots of other collector runs, none of which I paid more than stock prices for. I can tell you that I hate CE (too slippery for my dry hands), and I don't have the arm for S/DS Destroyers any more than I do for the penned 4x McBeths. Those old runs do nothing for me, and as a newer player you shouldn't ever overpay for one expecting it to do anything magical. CE *is* pretty durable, but since you can buy 6 champion Firebirds for the price of a CE Firebird, I think that argument is pretty much out the window too. Now if I can pick up some older run discs on the cheap and sell them to some sucker who thinks they will do something magical, then I'm fine with that. I don't care what other people want to spend their money on; that's their problem.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say (to the OP) is that as a new player you shouldn't hate the collector market. The collector market isn't taking anything away from you. You can find great stock-priced discs that will do the same thing for you as those expensive older runs. Don't overpay for discs.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-09-2018, 12:35 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Yeah I feel like there are players who grew up throwing a certain run of something and it's what they're used to so they will pay $$ for more of them even when they already have a stash of backups. Newer players see that and think there's something magical about that older run because this older guy loves them. So they start bidding up the price and collecting them too, and pretty soon you've got a market of overpriced, older plastic. The suckers aren't the guys who grew up throwing that run and want to have a stash of them. Whatever gives you confidence to make your shot is great, and if you need CE plastic in your hands to have that confidence, then too bad for you (because you'll always be overpaying). But the suckers are the new guys who think there's something magical about these old discs and go out and pay $$$ for a disc they can't make perform any better than a stock price disc.

I've owned some CE discs, 11x Teebirds, various PFN runs of Star, pearly Orcs, S/DS and patent numbers Destroyers, and lots of other collector runs, none of which I paid more than stock prices for. I can tell you that I hate CE (too slippery for my dry hands), and I don't have the arm for S/DS Destroyers any more than I do for the penned 4x McBeths. Those old runs do nothing for me, and as a newer player you shouldn't ever overpay for one expecting it to do anything magical. CE *is* pretty durable, but since you can buy 6 champion Firebirds for the price of a CE Firebird, I think that argument is pretty much out the window too. Now if I can pick up some older run discs on the cheap and sell them to some sucker who thinks they will do something magical, then I'm fine with that. I don't care what other people want to spend their money on; that's their problem.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say (to the OP) is that as a new player you shouldn't hate the collector market. The collector market isn't taking anything away from you. You can find great stock-priced discs that will do the same thing for you as those expensive older runs. Don't overpay for discs.
I know what you mean, I have discs in the bag that are not made in that exact plastic, and a few that are not in the bag, as the plastic for that mold is not used for two Discraft and then a few molds I got that I do not use as they are not my kind of disc. Stupid is they make ROC 3 and I have a 2009 Ice Bowl KC Pro ROC max weight and it is worth about $40 when All you need to do is get ROC 3. They fly the same. I can see that KC plastic is different so that will keep the price around $35-$45 maybe the occasional $50 for the disc.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:08 PM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 18 Times in 15 Posts

I only have two hangers at home. One is a Teebird with a Ballast Point brewery stamp (my favorite), and the other is a fresh white Envy with a lion stamp that looks so clean I don't even want to throw it.

Much better decorations than a $30 generic print of some boring art IMO