Old 05-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

Katana? I've seen several people hear say that it is more stable than the Shryke. DDx is another good suggestion if you like the shallow feel. DD2 might be worth a look as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 64
Niced 112 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Katana? I've seen several people hear say that it is more stable than the Shryke. DDx is another good suggestion if you like the shallow feel. DD2 might be worth a look as well.
Shryke was actually too stable, DDx falls in that group as well. I'm really looking for something I can lace those long tight wooded lines with so I don't have to worry about putting enough on it to keep it from fading out early. Both of those discs are great for distance lines but seem to have a magic amount of power to prevent them from hyzering or turning and burning. The havocs were truly understable but had LSS which made it much easier to hit that sweet spot.

Not too sure about the katana, do they even still make those?
Old 05-05-2018, 01:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabay View Post
Shryke was actually too stable, DDx falls in that group as well. I'm really looking for something I can lace those long tight wooded lines with so I don't have to worry about putting enough on it to keep it from fading out early. Both of those discs are great for distance lines but seem to have a magic amount of power to prevent them from hyzering or turning and burning. The havocs were truly understable but had LSS which made it much easier to hit that sweet spot.

I think you'll like the Crank, although I have only thrown like one or two. I'm used to Havocs in normal plastics being like -3/2, definitely not tunnel drivers, but I guess in Moonshine that is a different case.

Crank is less HSS than Shryke, it is very neutral with a wiggle to the side and enough fade to be reliable if there isn't wind. Quite easy to throw on golf lines. I also agree that the DDX can be too stable and dumpy. Crank is easier to throw than both of those. It reminds me of my perfectly beat Destroyer, which is a big compliment. Although I don't think it's as reliable in different conditions just because of it being designed as that stability rather than beat to that stability.

I would stay away from the Katana, I've just thrown too many garbage OS dumpy ones. Good ones are more for open bombers IME.

Trespass is another one you could try depending on the PLH. They have a smaller rim and are very very neutral...almost like a speed 11/12 fairway driver. They will hold a turnover if they are on the less stable end, which is the only risk but you're used to a Havoc. Also they aren't very nose angle sensitive seeing as their rim is a bit smaller.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 705 Times in 289 Posts

What distance are you trying to throw for these lines?
Old 05-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,152 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote:
Oh yes, and in many plastics. I've been throwing a Pro Katana around just for the fun of it. It's a mild pop top, has a bit of turn then a decent fade. On less than full power throws, it's doing me surprisingly well on technical holes...
Old 05-06-2018, 02:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 415 Times in 304 Posts

Daedulus, Vulcan, Star Tern? So basically you're looking for a -3,2ish pattern?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Knight..... Or even more understable go with queen
Old 05-06-2018, 11:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
What distance are you trying to throw for these lines?
ehhh, I don't know the actually distances but if I were guessing I'd say...360 in tight woods? I'm really trying to lace these on some tougher par 4s to get further and I learned throwing BH shots with throwing too much hyzer so these are bread and butter for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Daedulus, Vulcan, Star Tern? So basically you're looking for a -3,2ish pattern?
I tried the tern and I may go back there. It meets most of the requirements. I stopped throwing them when I lost my star tern and then I picked up a champ that was an absolute hog and I couldn't get it to...turn (puns.) and then lost that one too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbntheman View Post
Knight..... Or even more understable go with queen
Haven't heard much about either of those. Feel like the trilogy companies are pushing out speed 13-14 drivers every other day. Tried the sheriff and didn't like it all. Been playing with a ballista for max D and I LOVE it. I may check out the knight or the queen...we'll see
Old 05-07-2018, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 705 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
ehhh, I don't know the actually distances but if I were guessing I'd say...360 in tight woods? I'm really trying to lace these on some tougher par 4s to get further and I learned throwing BH shots with throwing too much hyzer so these are bread and butter for me.
I guess it depends on the exact line (lateral movement and ceiling height) but I throw either a P-PD if I want to move right more or a Champ Thundy if I want to end up further left.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
I guess it depends on the exact line (lateral movement and ceiling height) but I throw either a P-PD if I want to move right more or a Champ Thundy if I want to end up further left.
Yeah, I have a super beat S-PD that I use for these shots when I can, but I guess here in TN there are a lot of low ceiling tight wooded shots that I like having this option for.

This hole is an example, https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...5/f91f29dd.jpg , the basket is listed at 490 (although I think it's a bit shorter) and I've had multiple looks at the two from lacing the moonshine havoc. a PD doesn't have the legs to get that far (at least when I throw it). I'm going to keep searching for my unicorn that is a match to the moonshine havoc.

Currently Mayhem is winning the battle but a seasoned ballista might just edge it out