Old 05-05-2018, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 677 Times in 535 Posts

For me with Shryke vs. Tern it wasn't even about grip. The Tern is shallow, but I never found myself throwing it poorly for that reason.

I'd release the Tern and Shryke on similar lines (slight hyzer flip). They would follow the same path and drift right a bit with some good flex. What really set the Shryke apart was how far it would flex out vs. the Tern. The Tern always seemed to fade out a bit prematurely while the Shryke held the turn longer. I also feel the extra bit of glide in the Shryke vs. the Tern is noticeable.

The Shryke does take a few throws to really dial in. It has a definite sweet spot. Throw it too softly and it'll do nothing but hyzer out. Throw it too hard flat or anny and it flips.

I do like the Tern, but at this point I don't see it working its way back into my bag against the Shryke.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

I don't like the Tern. Even when I get a good rip on it and it gets good turn, I really don't like the sudden and abrupt fade that it has. Once it starts to slow down it has absolutely no glide and just searches for the ground.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 677 Times in 535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
I don't like the Tern. Even when I get a good rip on it and it gets good turn, I really don't like the sudden and abrupt fade that it has. Once it starts to slow down it has absolutely no glide and just searches for the ground.
This is exactly it for me. I actually DO like the Tern, but I don't bag it for the reasons above. The Tern has a great flight path until the end, when it seems to lose all momentum and fall out of the air like a rock.

For an understable disc, the Tern has a dumpy fade. The DDX has the same fade, but even stronger.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 48 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
Pro Terns are generally flat and glideless turds. I don't know why, but the pro just didn't seem to work for this mold. They are not very undestable either. I've never been able to throw it enough to break it in either. It's buried in the box labeled "L" somewhere. I would say stick with the Mamba.
Wish I would have read this before I bought 2 of them. They're really not a good disc. I hate buying discs and then they suck so much they never make it past field practice. What a waste.

It's odd, because I've generally found Pro plastic to be the most glidey.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:03 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 323 Times in 221 Posts

Surprised of all the Tern hate. I don't find mine dumpy at all. It typically doesn't really fade out unless I don't get it up to speed...

I'd say maybe I got a good one but seems to me it's pretty popular, and likely for a reason... no? Mine is Star plastic.

Niced: (4)
Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,161 Times in 1,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Surprised of all the Tern hate. I don't find mine dumpy at all. It typically doesn't really fade out unless I don't get it up to speed...

I'd say maybe I got a good one but seems to me it's pretty popular, and likely for a reason... no? Mine is Star plastic.
Unless I turn one over in a headwind, my Terns have some of that dump fade... but I'm good with it. I also like the Krait because of its straight flight and dump(y) fade. So I consider this to be somewhat of a positive for the Tern...

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
Pro Terns are generally flat and glideless turds. I don't know why, but the pro just didn't seem to work for this mold. They are not very undestable either. I've never been able to throw it enough to break it in either. It's buried in the box labeled "L" somewhere. I would say stick with the Mamba.
I haven't tried a Pro Tern yet. Are you still having these problems with Pro Terns? Is this the general consensus from all, that Pro Terns are not very good? TIA for any and all replies...
Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
This is exactly it for me. I actually DO like the Tern, but I don't bag it for the reasons above. The Tern has a great flight path until the end, when it seems to lose all momentum and fall out of the air like a rock.

For an understable disc, the Tern has a dumpy fade. The DDX has the same fade, but even stronger.
I have probably owned over 20 Terns in all plastics. I have still not encountered this discs.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 61
Niced 31 Times in 22 Posts

The tern's fade all depends on your power, i would never call it a "dumpy" disc.

Side note, the tern in Luster plastic absolutely bombs.. i need more.

Last edited by dekdo; 05-29-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 138
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to superium

Ditto, if you're getting a dump out of a tern, you shouldn't be throwing any high speed driver's at all.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superium View Post
Ditto, if you're getting a dump out of a tern, you shouldn't be throwing any high speed driver's at all.
Or maybe just need a new Tern?