Old 05-13-2018, 09:54 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

Discraft meteor, Westside Tursas, DD evidence, Innova Stingray, those are some of my suggestions that may be worth giving a shot
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 511 Times in 328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
My Star Mirage is my favorite disc (being a RHBH only player)...depending on the length you're looking for the Underworld is awesome. I currently have a VIP and it's my workhorse when I need a right turning fairway driver...definitely close to the Mirage flight. If you want longer my Fury does that for me....beautiful flight as well. As far as a midrange Mirage I haven't found one yet. At times I've thought about just not worrying about a midrange Mirage because it flies so far with very little effort anyway. I tried the Tursas but it always wanted to come back to center for me. The Fuse it pretty close but it seems to be a little more finicky for me than the Mirage. Just ordered the Theory and going to give it a shot for my Mirage flying mid. If it doesn't work out I'm going to keep working with the Fuse.

Not sure if I helped any but these have been my experiences!

TripleB
Right on, I have had the same experience as you with the Star Mirage, the Underworld, and the Fury.

I picked up a tursas which may fit the bill, but I left it in a hot car over the weekend and it warped a little, no longer sitting flat on a table. It's going back in the hot car today on a perfectly flat surface after I remove the flashing on the disc. Hopefully it will reform to being nice and even. If not, I'll probably snag another one, oh well.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 820 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
DD evidence,
Most under appreciated disc I know.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Meteor, beat in comet, max weight archer, champ manta
Old 05-14-2018, 10:13 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 60 Times in 52 Posts

An understable mid? I would say a star mako3 thrown with the tinniest bit of anhyzer. Or flat depending on how much power you have. That thing is super useful on any wooded course and lots of other situations too. Never in the wind though, waaaay to much glide. The thing does not want to drop.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 511 Times in 328 Posts

Hm, bit of an update on my long journey to the pot of gold which is a flippy, non-speed sensitive premium plastic mid off the shelf.

I've tried a number of molds - flippy tweeners like the Mirage and Wedge, and to a smaller extent Proton Spins go really far and are really flippy for premium putters, but not quite far enough to fill this slot.

Meteor, Buzzz SS, Warrant, Comet, Fuse, not flippy enough. I've tried some others typically described as straighter than those, and sure enough, not flippy enough.

Tursas and Vertex are very close. Tursas is a little more speed sensitive but when I really give it a solid rip with some good field space, it goes far and ends right. Vertex is less speed sensitive and not quite as long.

The Patrol is on the list to try, although I suspect it's too similar to the Warrant, which I did not find remarkable in flight or handfeel - that is to say, it felt like crap in my hand even after taking the sanding block to the offending extra plastic.

The Tremor is another promising option, and I imagine would fit well next to a Z Comet in the bag. Flight numbers indicate it's a fast mid which for the most part are too driver-like and speed sensitive. On the other hand, it's apparently extremely understable, to the extent that I might expect that I could get that smooth woodsy turnover from a 70% slight hyzer that I'm looking for.

Can anyone compare these two to the mids I described above? Would really like to fill this slot in my bag without destroying a straighter disc.

EDIT: Also looking at finding a flippy Theory, thoughts?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 17
Niced 23 Times in 11 Posts

I have a Patrol from the Trilogy Challenge and it is pretty flippy for me. Much more flippy than a Comet, which is the only one from your above list I can compare against. It is also more flippy than a fresh DX Stingray. A fresh stingray will turn quite a bit and then fade back a little at the end when thrown flat at ~60-70% power. My Patrol stays turned over with a higher chance to cut-roll at the end.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 61
Niced 217 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
...champ manta
My Star Mirage is one of my favorites. But for longer, turning shots I also carry a Champ Manta.

Not exactly a "longer Mirage", but I use it that way.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 574 Times in 422 Posts

There SO many options, my used M4's fly like that, just keep anhyzering even after a hyzer-flip - so I like the M4, but theres also the DGA Tremor which is a bit more US out of the box as well as a million other fine choices. I'll nominate the M4 though

Old 02-21-2019, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 724 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
My Star Mirage is one of my favorites. But for longer, turning shots I also carry a Champ Manta.

Not exactly a "longer Mirage", but I use it that way.
Guess a stingray would work too?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk