Old 12-17-2018, 02:51 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
Just here to say Gyro is REAL. Im building an all mvp bag. Got my first throws in today with the new plastic. Thoughts:

173g Neutron Catalyst: great out the box. Farthest disc i have ever thrown fresh out the box. Got putts on holes i couldnt reach for years. 50ft extra distance over my Cranks. Wont make the bag,as i can see these being too flippy too quickly.

Eclipse Volt 173g: Sooo straight. I felt this disc did one thing. It flies dead straight to about 340ft then has a calm fade to the ground. It just wants to go straight. It wont make the bag. I want something with the same flight but faster. Speed 10 volt anyone?

e up
Re: catalyst beating in too quickly: possible but know that MVP discs, I feel, beat in slowly.

Re: volt, what was not too like then about Volt? From your description, it sounds like it flew perfectly for you...
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 48 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post

Eclipse Volt 173g: Sooo straight. I felt this disc did one thing. It flies dead straight to about 340ft then has a calm fade to the ground. It just wants to go straight. It wont make the bag. I want something with the same flight but faster. Speed 10 volt anyone?

btw those flat and heavy teslas are beefy, try 168-170g plasma one?

Niced: (2)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 48 Times in 34 Posts

Is your ordered Matrix proton or neutron?
Protons seem to be on the straight side(more buzzz'ish?) and neutrons more stable with fade
Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 249 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHatch View Post
Is your ordered Matrix proton or neutron?
Protons seem to be on the straight side(more buzzz'ish?) and neutrons more stable with fade
Proton matrix and plasma Tesla on the way. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2018, 11:21 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

Just want to say the mayhem is a nice step up in stability by a hair vs catalyst and goes boom. The octane would be the mold to cycle in that max D spot IMO tho.

I loved the distance of the catalyst buy agree they get a little flippy at times. The spam can SE run of mayhems (would assume normal) are one of the straighest max speeders ive thrown very similar to when i had beat octanes.

Niced: (3)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 730 Times in 511 Posts

I finally got some time in on the Resistor it's much more workable at slow speed than I thought.. Decent skips too, hangs out a bit long on overhand throws, doesn't turn over as fast as I'd like. It's going to be interesting to see how it fits into the bag.. I like the stability BH and FH... But we'll see if I can figure it out OH it's fighting the Crave for bag space I really expected it to be harder to throw. Smashed the top of the basket at 200' almost an ace on a hole I could have thrown a putter haha.

I can't wait to see what the Crave will break into.. It exhibits a fair bit of high speed turn already.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 12-19-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:16 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 322 Times in 220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
I finally got some time in on the Resistor it's much more workable at slow speed than I thought.. Decent skips too, hangs out a bit long on overhand throws, doesn't turn over as fast as I'd like. It's going to be interesting to see how it fits into the bag.. I like the stability BH and FH... But we'll see if I can figure it out OH it's fighting the Crave for bag space I really expected it to be harder to throw. Smashed the top of the basket at 200' almost an ace on a hole I could have thrown a putter haha.

I can't wait to see what the Crave will break into.. It exhibits a fair bit of high speed turn already.
Interesting. I have Resistor coming for xmas, which I'm little kid excited for, and I was also expecting it to be mo beefy than it sounds. Hopefully it's still beefy but in a good workable way? What weight is your Resistor?

Also curious on crave weight.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
Interesting. I have Resistor coming for xmas, which I'm little kid excited for, and I was also expecting it to be mo beefy than it sounds. Hopefully it's still beefy but in a good workable way? What weight is your Resistor?

Also curious on crave weight.
Hey the Crave is a 159, Resistor is a 162 both Neutron.... I like light stuff I probably should have got the Crave in the 165 range.. From everything I read I thought the Resistor was more of a pig.. Maybe it is if it's heavier, definitely in FL territory more than a Firebird. Sample size of one haha.

Yes I would say in a good way.. The lower speed requirement and lower weight on mine make it real easy to throw with a solid fade. Good solid stability but not overwhelming. Tried it in some wind and very happy. It's definitely got beef and if it was heavier I'd be feeling it. When I got that Crave I wanted a Resistor I just didn't know it.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 12-19-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 AM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 27
Niced 115 Times in 70 Posts

I would imagine Resistors vary in stability like any other mold from MVP, for example i had a blue N servo that was flippy and then i got a white N that was straight and fade. However, i have personally never seen a resistor that was flippy or had any turn out of the box but ive only owned 3. Mine have all been reliably overstable but maybe slightly more/less dump to the fade.

The oldest one i have that is beat in, I would give it a -1 turn, 3 fade, it holds a beautiful straight line with a long drifting turn that doesn't flip over and has retained that dumpy late fade that makes it easy to range. It took a long time to get there. Out of the box my max weight resistors are def 0 turn and 4 fade!

Its not a beginner disc in my opinion because of the low glide and dump fade newer disc golfers would probably not get much distance or appreciation out of the Resistor, but for someone who plays more advanced that has more power and variation of throw styles they will recognize right away the reliable flight, versatility and ease of ranging this disc. Resistors dont have much glide and the fade dumps. It can handle thumbers, forehand, etc.

I recommend using it as a replacement for all midrange discs. I find midranges less reliable/predictable due to glide and dome, the resistor will cut through windy conditions, you can flick it around obstacles more easily than a midrange class due to its lower profile and narrow blade shaped wing. Its going to dump on target whereas a midrange might glide past the target or get thrown off course more easily by wind. The only thing lacking then would be a straight flight without much fade or anny lines and thats what putters do best!

I notice a trend in pros opting to use faster putters instead of midrange class discs for shorter drives or midrange throws and then jumping right up to slow fairways for anything too long for a putter. Just want to point out that in my experimenting i have found this to be a successful approach.

Last edited by in4d; 12-19-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Yes... I definitely run light in the mid dept.. Tangent / Comet and an occasional Vector or Vertex.. Spin/Envy are my workhorses, Tangent or Vertex to get a longer Anny. Switch, Signal or Relay and fission Photon 143 rounds out my bag + whatever distance driver I'm using Inertia usually or Vanish. That's where the Resistor is starting to fit as a more reliable wind/torque/utility disc where I might flip the Photon or the Switch.

Since I learned to play with only a driver 20yrs ago I have no problem cheating it for short lines.

For reference my Resistor also has a mild puddle top. I'm no pro but I've got some mega spin even with limited distance I can probably thank my old Force I never should have been throwing haha. You'll dig it deyo7 don't panic on my accounts...

Niced: (1)

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 12-19-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Closed Thread