Old 02-16-2019, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Okay...I'm going back to not caring about Discmania...
something something pd and fd are great discs but the rest suck even if paul macbeth threw a p2 it still sucks something something....
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2019, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,939 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
something something pd and fd are great discs but the rest suck even if paul macbeth threw a p2 it still sucks something something....
Exactly...chumps only have like 2 good discs and an okayish putter.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
The problem is that "blended parts of other Innova molds" was only ever meant to be a rule-of-thumb. People noticed that there was "Innova Champion" on the bottom of the disc, and that they looked similar, so that was the exaplanation. Proper context is that in the early days of DM, Innova has so many mold parts that either didn't stay in production, or never made production, etc.

"Oh so we like the way your Leopard flies, we also need an understable fairway, do you have any other ideas for understable fairways?"

...you know those kind of discussions. The problem with the overused rule-of-thumb is it unintentionally takes agency away from Discmania, as if they don't have a say, or implies that they're not part of the design process.

SO - when DM contracts molds from Innova, they have tons of available experiments as well as proven molds that could help kickstart the collaboration. It was never a situation where Innova just makes things and shoves it down their throats saying, "Sell this." Discmania (Now Discmania: Originals), goes to Innova with an idea, and they get some concepts back.

So honestly this new thing is just like the old thing, just adding two more manufacturing partners. Don't worry about who those manufacturers are, it's not important to the overall (which is where all the fanboys are getting hung up - on things that don't matter).

So, DM staff collaborates with the engineers/designers from the manufacturing partners to come up with a new mold, then the partner molds 'em up, sends a handful of testers to DM staff, and they decide to sell, tweak, or scrap and try a different idea to meet the goal for the collaboration.

Now...take what I'm saying with a grain of salt too, it's been a few years since I've been in the back room with the Discmania folks, so I'm speaking just from my experience and from what I know of how they think.
Thanks Jamie.

Was that you on the Las Vegas course overview? Good work.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 673 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
I'm not sure why this hasn't been acknowledged, but Chuck got it right back on post #44.
FlickManiac also on Post #21
It's about shipping and distribution, and cost - not branding.
Personally, I think it's brilliant.
He gets distribution into China through Yikun, and he gets discs CHEAP. That's why he's getting Yikun to do his base plastic.
He gets EU distribution through Lat64. Discs molded locally, inside the EU get zero tariffs and cheap distribution.
Folks, it ain't cheap to ship overseas.
I'm sure his deal with Innova stays in place.
This new move allows him to, at a stroke, reduce costs and widen his distribution.
The man is willing to throw the dice. He has demonstrated the willingness to make a bold move, and I think this deal will yield $$ for years to come.
I'd be willing to bet that some other disc mfrs are kicking themselves for not doing something like this.

I am sure you mean "manufacturers" but thats not how I read it first

I cant think why Discmania Originals would become harder to get outside of the US. But not as sure about the availability of the two other lines in the US. Time will tell.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Why is it that some folks always want to take a chunk out of something? I don't much care about discmania, but don't feel I need to point out that IMFO they work like a vacuum cleaner.

Some folks spend more time putting down things they don't like then talking about the things they do like.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 207 Times in 133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I don't think that's true with Axiom. Axiom is just another brand owned by the MVP guys
The bolded part is the important bit. Your statement is correct, but in the business world you cannot transfer cash from one business that you own to another at will (an S-corp might work different). So in essence, it does not matter who owns what, they act as seperate businesses.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Just a stray observation—lots of interesting parallels here with the automotive industry, which is full of these kinds of overlapping partnerships. Like how Toyota worked with Subaru on the 86/BRZ, and with BMW on the new Supra, and used to make Corolla variants for General Motors (late '80s Chevy Nova, Geo/Chevy Prizm, Pontiac Vibe).

Also, while I'm no expert, I'm under the impression that overseas container shipping is incredibly cheap for what it is, especially when the cost is divided among large numbers of small items like golf discs. I've heard that moving stuff from a US port to the local Walmart is considerably more expensive than moving that same stuff from Asia to the port. I doubt that shipping costs are a big factor here, although there are plenty of other reasons to manufacture a product close to its market.

Edit: Looks like a 20ft. container can be shipped from Los Angeles to Helsinki for about $1600. I don't know how many discs fit in a 20ft. container, but I'm sure it's many, many thousands. $1600 divided by even just 5000 discs is only $0.32 per disc.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Niced 1,549 Times in 703 Posts

We're in a "I want it now" economy, not that that hasn't always been the case. But with social media and Amazon, it's even more important to have the discs, especially newly announced models, available in large quantities as quickly as possible. Doesn't matter if you're sending container loads inexpensively if what you're sending isn't the right mix of products or they arrive too late and players have moved on and selected molds from other brands. Plus, a container load is a lot of "dead cash" inventory tied up during overseas transport.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 48 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wims View Post
I don't think that's true with Axiom. Axiom is just another brand owned by the MVP guys
Its literally the same guys and factory, just wanted to keep MVP black rimmed and science themed.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,777 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Why is it that some folks always want to take a chunk out of something? I don't much care about discmania, but don't feel I need to point out that IMFO they work like a vacuum cleaner.

Some folks spend more time putting down things they don't like then talking about the things they do like.
as im laughing about your posts in the par thread