Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,198 Times in 2,229 Posts

I'm not really sure tbh but I think he is naturally ambidextrous. Iirc, he was mainly throwing FHs and flick rollers when I first saw him play but I don't remember which hand they were with. I know he was working on a righty BH a couple years ago but don't know if he still is.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 03-10-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Also on your laptop it's posted on the Internet.

Nothing I post on the Internet is true, which makes that statement a lie...
I feel like I’m stuck in the Matrix. But not the actual Matrix. A version that’s still in beta.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
BTW... is that an optical illusion, or is his left arm really that much bigger than the right?
The legendary David Foster Wallace used to almost fetishize this. He mentioned it in fiction, in non-fiction... here’s from one of his great pieces “The String Theory”:

“There are very few paying customers on the grounds on Saturday, but there are close to a hundred world-class players: big spidery French guys with gelled hair, American kids with peeling noses and Pac-10 sweats, lugubrious Germans, bored-looking Italians. There are blank-eyed Swedes and pockmarked Colombians and cyberpunkish Brits. Malevolent Slavs with scary haircuts. Mexican players who spend their spare time playing two-on-two soccer in the gravel outside the players' tent. With few exceptions, all the players have similar builds–big muscular legs, shallow chests, skinny necks, and one normal-size arm and one monstrously huge and hypertrophic arm.”

Niced: (1)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 101
Niced 573 Times in 277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
As for Avery - we're talking about a World Champ with a number of Major victories. So his fitness has translated well. But what elite athletic background does he have outside of disc? You're comparing someone who is a big big man and extraordinarily fit to someone with elite athlete explosion. Avery clearly has high level explosion, as evidenced by his US distance championships and elite on-course distance... but there's no evidence that he's an elite athlete in terms of explosive power like a guy like Ben Askren. I don't recall his having any significant high school or collegiate level athletic career outside of this sport (which I don't think he took seriously until he got to his 20s or very late teens). He's a supremely fit and incredibly strong individual, but there's a difference between that and elite explosion.
Avery has huge forearms and calves but I've always been confused why people think he is at an elite fitness level. Dude looks like he has a tire around his waist.

As for Askren, I believe his mental approach and competitiveness he draws from his historic wrestling career would propel him further than his actual physical prowess. If you look at the guy he's not an impressive physical specimen and I believe his intangibles are what set him apart.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 259 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
Avery has huge forearms and calves but I've always been confused why people think he is at an elite fitness level. Dude looks like he has a tire around his waist.
He can probably throw farther than you.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolfy View Post
He can probably throw farther than you.
Probably? No, he definitely can, but I didn't dedicate my life to disc golf. I can throw 400 foot hyzers though, fine enough for the level I compete at.

We are talking about fitness level however though. He can 100% bench more than I can, but can he run faster or jump higher? Is he more flexible and nimble? I'm guessing not.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:20 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:

As for Askren, I believe his mental approach and competitiveness he draws from his historic wrestling career would propel him further than his actual physical prowess. If you look at the guy he's not an impressive physical specimen and I believe his intangibles are what set him apart.
I mean, in terms of cardiovascular fitness - he (Avery) may be lacking? I'm not sure what he does nowadays. I do know that at one point he was pushing 6+ mile runs about a decade ago, he was asking me for some tips on running back when the big thing was DiscGolfersr.Us - but unfortunately he fairly quickly developed shin splints, I'm guessing as a result of the pounding from all that mass. But overall, all around fitness, he was at a pretty damn high level for a long time. He may be getting a gut now (I haven't seen a picture or video of him aside from head shots in promotional stuff in a long time) but dude's getting up there near Masters age. Happens to a lot of folk. But there's no doubt that he works to stay fit.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Eagle Member

Perhaps I came across as too crass on Avery. I appreciate how he has changed the narrative in Disc Golf history to show that athleticism is important to success. I just never really considered him to be the physical fitness specimen he is widely recognized as.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 259 Times in 165 Posts

Quote:
physical fitness specimen
This is what we shall now call professional athletes now.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,076 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps I came across as too crass on Avery. I appreciate how he has changed the narrative in Disc Golf history to show that athleticism is important to success. I just never really considered him to be the physical fitness specimen he is widely recognized as.
He is a specimen - he's like 6'3" and 250. He's not in peak physical shape compared to a lot of other sports, but we're talking about one of the first pros in disc golf (at least during my time, Wisecup looks pretty amazing) that really made it a point to try and physically improve themselves with workouts, and then he ended up winning worlds. And that was only 10 years ago or so...a lot of people who play disc golf don't work out at all or are in really poor shape themselves, so he might look like he's in really good condition.