Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 674 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I haven't tried a NukeSS. I've thrown the Bolt, and it's okay.

But the two Freedoms I tried both svcked, bad. The Freedom is to me what the Renegade is to Twmccoy...
LOL. That's awesome. I have as much use for the Freedom as I do the Renegade. I can get a Freedom to bomb, but its almost impossible. Soon as you get the disc up to speed, it flips over violently. In all honestly, I wonder how many DGers bag Freedoms and actually use them often and like them. I can't think of any on-course use for the thing.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2019, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I...When Spring arrives, the candidates to return to my bag are the Neutron Wave and the Pro Shryke/I-blend Pharaoh. If Innova ever gets around to making some lightweight Mysteres, it might return to my bag in place of the Wave...
Have you tried a Plasma Wave? They're super nice. More glide than neutron, which for me means I can throw them on lower lines and not have to worry about them burying in the ground too early. Domier too. And for whatever reason I can control how much they flip a little better than in neutron.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 48
Niced 821 Times in 561 Posts

Tern, and it's really not even close.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,153 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Have you tried a Plasma Wave? They're super nice. More glide than neutron, which for me means I can throw them on lower lines and not have to worry about them burying in the ground too early. Domier too. And for whatever reason I can control how much they flip a little better than in neutron.
Haven't tried a Plasma Wave. I'll have to check on those.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 31 Times in 21 Posts

DD Renegade, Discraft Thrasher, and Innova Echostar Wraith.

Right out of the box, the Thrasher is probably the best, but after some seasoning, the Renegade comes on strong. Great for rollers and hyzerflips as well. I've found the Renegade to be pretty predictable and plenty long.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,590 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
LOL. That's awesome. I have as much use for the Freedom as I do the Renegade. I can get a Freedom to bomb, but its almost impossible. Soon as you get the disc up to speed, it flips over violently. In all honestly, I wonder how many DGers bag Freedoms and actually use them often and like them. I can't think of any on-course use for the thing.
I've seen one guy who plays hyzer flip lines with it on all sorts of angles. Keep in mind this is at altitude which increases stability, they are going about 330ish, and he has very clean form...so it's the perfect storm for him to be able to control them really well.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 183
Niced 669 Times in 444 Posts

Pro Leopard

Okay, okay. Champ Tern is my favorite that fits OP criteria. To be honest, though, I typically don't like to get big S curves because I often end up in bad places. Instead, I like to hyzerflip it just past flat and get it as straight as possible. The Tern has a reputation as being crazy flippy, but champ really doesn't flip unless thrown too flat, over-torqued, or with any headwind.

For S-curves with some air under them, I really do love my Pro Leo. Most courses I play don't have much in the way of open distance, so a fairway does fine. I played Nevin a few months ago, and had at least one memorable 350' Leo flex/flip through the woods. For those high shots, I'll take a speed 6-7 over 10-11 any day.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-13-2019, 01:57 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 49 Times in 33 Posts

Westside Sorcerer or the King are pretty awesome! I get some very nice turn with the Sorcerer. Crazy hyzer flips with the king. Although a fairway I preach the Heat!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabman View Post
DD Renegade...
I'm sorry, but we just can't be friends.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 674 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
I've seen one guy who plays hyzer flip lines with it on all sorts of angles. Keep in mind this is at altitude which increases stability, they are going about 330ish, and he has very clean form...so it's the perfect storm for him to be able to control them really well.
Yeah, the Freedom has a microscopic window of effectiveness. You have to throw it JUUUUSSSTTT right to get a decent flight. If you underthrow a Freedom it uselessly hyzers out and does nothing. Obviously we all know what happens if you overthrow it. Also, drivers like that are seldom equated with control shots. Usually if I throw a Freedom I don't know what zip code it'll come down in.

I'll put the Renegade in the same boat. That disc will not accept power well at all. Hyzer it all you want, the thing will still careen off to the right and die.