Old 03-25-2019, 10:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,842 Times in 1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I hate to say because I'm normally not a Champion Valk fan...but the new embossed JL ones fly pretty nice.
After spending a lot of time with the newer run Valks I have to say they might be some of the best flying I've thrown.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 805 Times in 368 Posts

Agreed. The Pro Valk I picked up will flat-out BOMB. Nice and glidey with decent HSS for a Valk.
The Star I bought at the same time is slightly less glidey but still nice and beefy.
Beefy Valks are great for big distance... I'm in love!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 25
Niced 737 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
Agreed. The Pro Valk I picked up will flat-out BOMB. Nice and glidey with decent HSS for a Valk.
The Star I bought at the same time is slightly less glidey but still nice and beefy.
Beefy Valks are great for big distance... I'm in love!
I like the Star in that they can handle a bit more headwind then a Champion or Pro. The Star if low dome is flying almost like a Viking but with a Valkyrie wing.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts

Looking for an option to act as a distance driver in bag that won't get blown around too much in a crosswind.

I throw Terns for distance, and in a headwind I have my bases covered with other, stable discs.

In a crosswind though I don't think a distance shot with a glidey Tern would be in order. Looking for something I could get up to speed in calm conditions as I don't have the benefit of increased airspeed from a headwind. Also should have relatively little side to side action to avoid exposing too much of the flightplate to the wind, and not excessive glide to be tossed around by the wind in the first place.

The list of potential candidates is short mostly due to my limited power, but would a stable valk work OK in sidewinds?

Also considering the CD2 (never really clicked with the mold, much less the PD), a thundie, or a musket/getaway/fortress from trilogy.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:42 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I Had a shortish affair with a star Valk, started out very stable, flexed well for distance. Then it got flippy, amazing long annys... then something beat it out of the bag...
At any rate I found it likes to dip a wing and has a lot of lateral movement both when stable and flippy. Sample size of one.
The discs I have that are less like that are my beat up teebirds, they like to ride flat for a long ways before they fade(right to left cross will carry the finish far left rhbh) and also my FD, Great in a cross wind for that reason.
My CD2 is gline and somewhat flippy, it really likes to dip a wing and then come back, even more than the valk. Other plastics may vary?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I would really recommend an S-Line fd unless you’re looking for something faster.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 512 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
I would really recommend an S-Line fd unless you’re looking for something faster.
I bag an SFD, I was just thinking something with a little less glide and speed 9-10 would be helpful. I may have mentioned this before but I'm also looking at a C-TD for this slot.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 672 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Looking for an option to act as a distance driver in bag that won't get blown around too much in a crosswind.

I throw Terns for distance, and in a headwind I have my bases covered with other, stable discs.

In a crosswind though I don't think a distance shot with a glidey Tern would be in order. Looking for something I could get up to speed in calm conditions as I don't have the benefit of increased airspeed from a headwind. Also should have relatively little side to side action to avoid exposing too much of the flightplate to the wind, and not excessive glide to be tossed around by the wind in the first place.

The list of potential candidates is short mostly due to my limited power, but would a stable valk work OK in sidewinds?

Also considering the CD2 (never really clicked with the mold, much less the PD), a thundie, or a musket/getaway/fortress from trilogy.
A Valk should do okay in a crosswind. It might get pushed around a little. I throw sidewinders RHBH in left to right cross winds frequently, which pushes the high speed turn super far. Right to left cross wind just pushes the nose down and it dies. On an open shot I would feel comfortable throwing a a Valk with a moderate crosswind.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 672 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Cycle Champion plastic?!?!?! Er... okay....
If you can find some used beat champ ones, absolutely. There's plenty of old JK Throwers out there that cost about as much as new premium disc.

The whole cycle stays the same for a long time as long as you don't lose anything. It's tough to find good replacements for a specific slot in the cycle if you lose one, but that's almost any cycle.

Niced: (1)

Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,147 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
If you can find some used beat champ ones, absolutely. There's plenty of old JK Throwers out there that cost about as much as new premium disc.

The whole cycle stays the same for a long time as long as you don't lose anything. It's tough to find good replacements for a specific slot in the cycle if you lose one, but that's almost any cycle.
I get that, but Champion plastic takes soooooooo long to beat in to a different flight path, if ever...

I used my original Champion Pink Panther at least once per round, 5x/week for four years, throwing spike hyzers, tomahawks, into trees, etc., and that thing still flies just as it did the first day I bagged it. I haven't used my Champ Polecat for as many years, but it has hit trees, slid on the ground, hit metal and the concrete bases of baskets, and so far I'm not seeing any change in it. I haven't thrown other Champion discs (such as my Champ Sidewinder) as much, but they never beat in, either.

Ergo, my earlier comment. But if you (plural) can get a good cycle with Champ plastic, power to ya, and it'll last a long, long time. And you're right about losing them: McBeth had his Champ Roc3s the way he wanted them, then someone stole his bag (at the McMorial, I think).