Old 06-13-2019, 11:48 PM
Par Member

Niced 52 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkosk View Post
Only trilogy disc that I would truly be worried about is the Fuse. If they kill off my Fuse I'll definitely have to stock up.
I've heard that is the favorite disc of the Lat64 disc designer.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,156 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabman View Post
RIP renegade. I guess I am going to have to start looking for a new roller/tailwind disc. :/
The Fury (if they don't take THAT oop) or the Infinite Discs Sphinx are a couple you might consider.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:09 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

I tried to like the renegade, I really did. But it was sooo finicky for me. I hear this a lot and think it was its downfall. I would rip a great shot with it getting a nice turn with a gentle fading finish and think "this thing is great" then I would struggle for the next dozen throws with it to keep it upright. And I am more of a finesse player (sophisticated way of saying noodle arm) who loves hyzer flipping rivers/saints.

I finally decided to stay away from truly understable distance drivers like the renegade/bolt/tern. I picked up a few tresspasses and sheriff's and havent looked back. Much more predictable and still can get turn out of them.

Now the suspect, that is the one I am crying over. From the first throw the suspect cemented a place in my bag. What a wonderful disc and a shame it is going away. Perfectly sits between my mids (emac truth, truth, verdict) and my throwing putters (Marshall, judge) and is so versatile for so many shots within 250 from the basket.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 415 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Fury (if they don't take THAT oop) or the Infinite Discs Sphinx are a couple you might consider.
Fury is quite a bit slower.

In the same speed range, I found the Axiom Vanish to be comparable to a Renegade, although the Vanish was easier to control for me. And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the MVP Wave in Plasma plastic is a great tailwind crusher. The plastic type really matters in that mold though, as Plasma molds up with extra dome and less stability than all the other plastic types for whatever reason.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Eagle Member

I caved in and did what I said I wouldn't...ordered 3 more Stags last night out of fear that they're going OOP. I really didn't want to buy a bunch of discs when I'm not even sure which molds are getting cut. But I'm a recent convert to Stags so I only have a pair of them, meaning I'd really be in a jam if that mold goes away. Yes, I realize at this point I'm just rationalizing my fear purchase which is exactly what Trilogy wants me to do.

I also picked up one more Evidence for the stack, but that doesn't bother me since we know the Evidence is going bye bye.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
Fury is quite a bit slower.

In the same speed range, I found the Axiom Vanish to be comparable to a Renegade, although the Vanish was easier to control for me. And of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the MVP Wave in Plasma plastic is a great tailwind crusher. The plastic type really matters in that mold though, as Plasma molds up with extra dome and less stability than all the other plastic types for whatever reason.
The Wave is an outstanding mold.

The Fury is indeed slower than the Renegade, so if you're looking for something that fast or faster, I'd suggest the good ol' Mamba or (since you like Axiom/MVP) the Orbital as a roller. I found the Orbital to be a great roller on my home course, if only they'd keep the grass cut.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
The Wave is an outstanding mold.

The Fury is indeed slower than the Renegade, so if you're looking for something that fast or faster, I'd suggest the good ol' Mamba or (since you like Axiom/MVP) the Orbital as a roller. I found the Orbital to be a great roller on my home course, if only they'd keep the grass cut.
True. I'm not the poster worried about a Renegade replacement though (I'm on Team Hate Renegades). I was just pointing out that if the other guy wants a Renegade-like disc then the Fury is noticably slower and is probably not be what he's looking for.

Personally, I bag both a Hatchet (Fury-like) and Plasma Wave (what the Renegade should have been). I could probably live with just one, but they do different things for me. Neither are a workhorse as I prefer a touch more stability on most shots thanks to Nebraska windiness. But on calm days, or tailwind shots, or long turnovers, or in the woods they are molds that see some action.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 44
Niced 287 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
I tried to like the renegade, I really did. But it was sooo finicky for me. I hear this a lot and think it was its downfall. I would rip a great shot with it getting a nice turn with a gentle fading finish and think "this thing is great" then I would struggle for the next dozen throws with it to keep it upright. And I am more of a finesse player (sophisticated way of saying noodle arm) who loves hyzer flipping rivers/saints.

I finally decided to stay away from truly understable distance drivers like the renegade/bolt/tern. I picked up a few tresspasses and sheriff's and havent looked back. Much more predictable and still can get turn out of them.
Interesting. One thing I’ve definitely noticed is that discs are more stable at my home elevation (1000’). It’s not like I’m up in the Rockies or anything, but I travel a lot and I notice a difference when I play at sea level. Very often my trusted understable molds become squirrelly and now I’ll just leave them at home and adjust my disc selections accordingly.

I haven’t been bagging Renegades for very long but I remember a huge difference with Terns. At home they always have a nice reliable fade at the end, never turning all the way over, while at lower elevation I would get some crazy turn & burn at times.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baked View Post
Interesting. One thing I’ve definitely noticed is that discs are more stable at my home elevation (1000’).
Yes, people are surprised to learn that the Metro Atlanta area (as well as other parts of North Georgia) is at or near 1000 ft. above sea level. I'm curious to see what my bag would do for me on a Florida DG course. Maybe time for a road trip to Orlando, check in on Disc Golf Center, play the DG course there...

Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

I'm heading to Utah in a couple weeks and it will be my first time playing elevation. I'm interested to see the stability difference at 4300'+ compared to the 1000' that I'm used to. Might need to bring all the flippy discs with me!