Old 08-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.4
Courses Played: 364
Niced 1,669 Times in 819 Posts

Performance Tracks

Attached Images
File Type: png PW2019Mtracks.png (134.9 KB, 417 views)
File Type: png PW2019Ftracks.png (140.0 KB, 389 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,289 Times in 755 Posts

Sports is kind of odd, some wins you remember forever. . others not so much

Worlds is THAT tournament in discgolf. . i know that Avery won in 2009, McCabe in 2010 and i know that Doss have 3x and Climo 12x . . but i can΄t name a single other tournament any of them have won

It΄s like the Olympics . . if you get a win. that trumps everything else . . by far

Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,289 Times in 755 Posts

Eveliina came 2nd in her first Worlds. . have anyone won Worlds in their first try?
Old 08-21-2019, 04:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,941 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Eveliina came 2nd in her first Worlds. . have anyone won Worlds in their first try?
Obviously all the winners the first year did. I would imagine there were some more in the early years. Also happens all the time at Am Worlds.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 692
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,546 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Harold Duvall won the first Worlds in 1982 and it was his first PDGA event.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
You mean aside from the first year of Worlds?

Sam Ferrans won the third ever World championships in 1984. He was not in attendance for the first two. He's the only one I can find.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 139
Niced 971 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Plenty of people on the amateur side.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 212
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Also, what are peoples thoughts of a lot of big tournaments having the last round on Saturday and not Sunday? Im in the train of thought in that it gives people less opportunity to play in these events because those of us with full time jobs cant take the time off of work to play. I would think we are seeing less viewership because of it both in person and online and I would think that it limits the field of play as well. Now I dont think these tournaments have any issue in filling up but it could stop them from future growth. I also know that some tournaments have gone away from Sunday rounds because of religious views which Im not a fan of but I understand.
I also see the reason to have that Sunday as a "buffer day" in case of bad weather late in the event causing the players to not be able to complete it. They can let them know early enough that e'll make up the round we're behind on Sunday. There were several tournaments the first year the pros went the three rounds, 1-a-day, that ended up getting truncated due to the schedule of the last round on Sunday, negating any possibility of making it up.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,603 Times in 1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
I also see the reason to have that Sunday as a "buffer day" in case of bad weather late in the event causing the players to not be able to complete it. They can let them know early enough that e'll make up the round we're behind on Sunday. There were several tournaments the first year the pros went the three rounds, 1-a-day, that ended up getting truncated due to the schedule of the last round on Sunday, negating any possibility of making it up.
Sunday would need to be designated as a make up/over-run date well in advance of the event in order to get away with it. It's not something that can be announced on Friday that the tournament will finish on Sunday. Particularly if it's a tournament with a lot of people in from out of town using hotels, campgrounds, etc...people need to know whether they need to book an extra night just in case.

As for the tournaments that had cancelled final rounds, the first was USDGC in 2016, a tournament that ended on a Saturday. The third was GBO, which also was scheduled to end on a Saturday. Only the Nick Hyde was scheduled to end on Sunday and had the final round cancelled.

In both the USDGC and GBO's case, the question of finishing the tournament on Sunday was broached, but ultimately discarded because people were planning to get out of town and weren't prepared to extend hotel stays or re-arrange flights just to finish the event. Of course, in USDGC's case, even if the players wanted to stay, many of the local hotels were booked out for storm evacuees so there was no chance for anyone to extend their stay.

I really don't think the opportunity to run over into Sunday is among the primary reasons that tournaments are ending on Saturday.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 212
Niced 271 Times in 164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Sunday would need to be designated as a make up/over-run date well in advance of the event in order to get away with it. It's not something that can be announced on Friday that the tournament will finish on Sunday. Particularly if it's a tournament with a lot of people in from out of town using hotels, campgrounds, etc...people need to know whether they need to book an extra night just in case.

As for the tournaments that had cancelled final rounds, the first was USDGC in 2016, a tournament that ended on a Saturday. The third was GBO, which also was scheduled to end on a Saturday. Only the Nick Hyde was scheduled to end on Sunday and had the final round cancelled.

In both the USDGC and GBO's case, the question of finishing the tournament on Sunday was broached, but ultimately discarded because people were planning to get out of town and weren't prepared to extend hotel stays or re-arrange flights just to finish the event. Of course, in USDGC's case, even if the players wanted to stay, many of the local hotels were booked out for storm evacuees so there was no chance for anyone to extend their stay.

I really don't think the opportunity to run over into Sunday is among the primary reasons that tournaments are ending on Saturday.
Definitely, I get and I know all that. All I am saying is that having the tourney scheduled to end on Saturday at least leaves the possibility!