Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Niced 809 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMikeal View Post
I need some help choosing my first Comet(s)...
First post and asking about choosing the right Comet. I like this guy! Welcome to DGCR

VictorB knows his stuff. He has good advice.
My personal favorite is a domey ESP Comet because it is the most well-rounded performer in my opinion.

HERE is a link to a video I made. In the video, I throw Comets in different plastics and compare them to other discs I like. These Comets are all "domey" and the Z is fairly beat so don't be surprised when it doesn't act very overstable compared to a new domey Z Comet. This video was intended for me to diagnose some things and isn't the greatest quality. If there is demand, I'll re-shoot for better clarity and comparison.

I'm not sure what you are currently using for your stable or overstable mid... if it is the Roc or Buzzz then they are represented in the video. I also don't know your elevation, wind levels, or armspeed and factors like these will affect recommendations. I will say this, though: if you can make a mid 160's X Comet hold a hyzer angle for the entire flight, go super straight, or hold an anhyzer angle for the entire flight... then you are leaps and bounds above most other players you'll meet. Especially if you can perform these shots at 300' or more. I absolutely COULD NOT do this when I first started. The Comet helped me learn these valuable skills and these skills help all my discs fly better.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions... we have lots of talent in this thread
Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,517 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
I need some help choosing my first Comet(s). I'm a relative beginner wanting to learn proper form, so I'm gonna pick up a comet or two. I would prefer weight <173g, and I may have to order online, so I might not be able to hand pick a good one.

So what would currently be the best form practice Comet out of the box? A current run flat ESP, or still the X? And the lighter the weight the better?
Can't argue with what has already been suggested.

One thing to consider is grip. I personally can not grip Z plastic and Titanium isn't much better, it is too slick. Something to consider. If you have no problems with it, then all the better.

I do like Esp, but if you're blindly buying online, you may get a flat one, one with a mild dome or one with a huge dome! You can always call and ask at most places.

My personal favorites are X, I have them from 162 to 178gr and by the far, the best one for me to practice with and throw one disc rounds in the woods is the 162gr.

Best of luck and learn to enjoy the Comet, your game will thank you.

Can't really go wrong with any Comet. Pick a couple and play.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,038 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
I need some help choosing my first Comet(s). I'm a relative beginner wanting to learn proper form, so I'm gonna pick up a comet or two. I would prefer weight <173g, and I may have to order online, so I might not be able to hand pick a good one.

Many people have said in the past that an X-Comet at a low ~165g weight would be the best for form practice. I assumed that this was due to it being the least stable Comet back then. However, from reading the last few dozen pages of this thread, the general consensus seems to be that the newer X-Comets are surprisingly stable, at least when not beat in.

So what would currently be the best form practice Comet out of the box? A current run flat ESP, or still the X? And the lighter the weight the better?

The least stable Comet would also fit into my bag the easiest, but if I fall in love with the Comet, I would probably also get a stock Z, a Glow Z or a Fly Dye Z Comet, because I get the impression that they are the glidiest and straightest Comets that are easy to find a replacement for. The Sparkle Z is tempting because I like sparkly things, but some say they lack glide and Comet-ness.
The only thing I have to add to the other good comments is find a Comet that has decent dome. It doesn't have to be one of the super domey ones, but to get the classic Comet flight it should not be a flat top.

Welcome.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:56 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 350 Times in 124 Posts

I played my first tourney this weekend. Maaaan did I lean on my Comet. Our course is heavily wooded and you end up getting forced into weird throwing positions because of obstacles and 9/10 times the Comet was what I reached for. Straddle around a tree to a forehand anny line? Comet. Skinny line straight up the gut? Comet. Stancy backhand anny? Comet. Downhill touch shot? Comet. Uphill line that needs to float to the basket and not fade? Comet. Only time I wished I threw something else I went backhand anny around a clump of trees with a little too much gusto and got a roller OB.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
...course is heavily wooded...
None better in the woods
I hope my Comet Lovers Fan Club Card isn't revoked, but I throw Rocs if the hole is wide open.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
None better in the woods
I hope my Comet Lovers Fan Club Card isn't revoked, but I throw Rocs if the hole is wide open.
I’m not by any stretch a mold/brand supremacist, but I’ve already invested in Buzzzs for that slot and I’m not really good enough to try to learn ANOTHER mold right now.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
I’m not by any stretch a mold/brand supremacist, but I’ve already invested in Buzzzs for that slot and I’m not really good enough to try to learn ANOTHER mold right now.
Oh, haha... I wasn't suggesting additional molds for you. As much as I love the Comet (my favorite disc of all time from any manufacturer PERIOD) it isn't the perfect choice for every midrange shot. That's all I was trying to say.

In the woods however... Comets are the correct choice at least 90% of the time

Niced: (3)
Old 08-26-2019, 02:24 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Oh, haha... I wasn't suggesting additional molds for you. As much as I love the Comet (my favorite disc of all time from any manufacturer PERIOD) it isn't the perfect choice for every midrange shot. That's all I was trying to say.

In the woods however... Comets are the correct choice at least 90% of the time
We’re on the same page!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!

I think I'll go two ~165g X-Comets and keep practicing throwing them back to back on every hole at my short local course after work.
Later I think I'll get a ~175g Glow Z or a domey ESP.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,078 Times in 538 Posts

Quote:
None better in the woods
I use a wasp on most open midrange shots.

I guess you can keep your fan club membership for now